DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HAWK attacks new DJI FPV drone!

I've watched several videos of a drone being snatched by a bird of prey, including the Phantom range. We're always watching out for eagles, especially on our nature reserve in South Africa - where we have five different species as well as other birds of prey. The larger eagles can swoop faster than a drone in sports mode can travel, so "be prepared" is an essential psychological quality in such circumstances where the chances of attack are relatively high.

Predators are simpler in their responses than many people imagine. Movement alone can trigger an attack. Speed matters. Delay and you remain hungry.

Two of us have been attacked by a black eagle when we were over one mile away from a nest with a chick. We had to crouch down and use a heavy Manfrotto tripod to defend ourselves. The wingspan of a black eagle is 8 or 9 ft and they can easily knock a leopard off its hunt - leopards being the main predator, historically, of humans.
THAT would have to be a little scary!

Reactions: Droniac
Have you ordered some gaffer tape and super glue just in case. ?
You're going to have much fun my friend.........well jealous.....enjoy.
HAHA!!! I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of that stuff around here, Well duct tape anyway not gaffers tape (?)

It kind of happened so fast, I didn't really think anyone would jump on my MA2 that quick, I was just seeing if there would be any interest and a guy showed up the next day with cash!! I was having a bit of sellers/buyers remorse yesterday... hope I haven't made a big mistake!! Looking forward to tomorrow though when it is suppose to arrive.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'll let you know how it goes Gary!

Scott

I should add that we humans have it easy. We shop at a supermarket. Wild predators fail in the majority of their hunting attempts. Their range of prey is more varied than many realise. You have to be an opportunist. Not that a drone - not even a DJI one - will prove either tasty or nourishing.
My real fear on all this is that the bird, whatever kind, would become badly injured!

Reactions: Droniac
Nice recovery and good thing they were as far above ground - or CRASH.

Well known that all "raptors" are very territorial and WILL attack a drone. We have many such attacks in Western NC, so when out - we're always on the watch for them.
Just south of you in SC, we have quite a few hawks and the occasional eagle here as well but as of yet have not had a close encounter... knock on wood!

i wasn't saying they wouldn't go for a Mavic, i was saying perhaps where the FPV
is faster and more agile it may look more prey like. We quite often unintentionally
invade the airspace of BOP and more often then not they flee the scene very
quickly, I've never had one attack the drone even when trying to get closer for a
better picture. BOP in the UK are very wary creatures.
Here as well, wary creatures as you say..

HAHA!!! I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of that stuff around here, Well duct tape anyway not gaffers tape (?)

It kind of happened so fast, I didn't really think anyone would jump on my MA2 that quick, I was just seeing if there would be any interest and a guy showed up the next day with cash!! I was having a bit of sellers/buyers remorse yesterday... hope I haven't made a big mistake!! Looking forward to tomorrow though when it is suppose to arrive.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'll let you know how it goes Gary!

Scott
You shouldn't have buyers/sellers remorse, i think you've made a good decision. A mate of mine in our flying group has one, i've been watching him fly (his spotter)
over the last couple of weeks and it's a fabulous bit of kit...so much fun....so immersive using the goggles. He's spent hours on the simulator to get used to
the different way of flying. As soon as i've got the funds together....(still contemplating the kidney idea ) i'll be joining you. BTW Gaffer tape must be a UK thing. ??

Reactions: Droniac and A.O.
You shouldn't have buyers/sellers remorse, i think you've made a good decision. A mate of mine in our flying group has one, i've been watching him fly (his spotter)
over the last couple of weeks and it's a fabulous bit of kit...so much fun....so immersive using the goggles. He's spent hours on the simulator to get used to
the different way of flying. As soon as i've got the funds together....(still contemplating the kidney idea ) i'll be joining you. BTW Gaffer tape must be a UK thing. ??
I'm thinking keep the kidney!! ?

Great footage here (not MINE):

Ok. Thank you. Now I’ve seen it all. Lol. (Almost). Did your bird get damaged? It looked like a pretty high velocity head to head hit. Was hawk ok ?? Godspeed

Great footage here (not MINE):

I would not have put this up on Utube ! NO WAY !
It's more Ammunition the Anti Drone Community will have against me and all of you !
I think you all should listen in what I'm saying !
This will also alarm the Animal Rights Activist !
Don't doubt me on this !
You think this is cool Footage
Well it's not !
Where having a hard time with Restrictions in the City Limits
As far as they the people who oppose us your in the Hawks
natural Habitat....
Start thinking before posting any pictures!

I would not have put this up on Utube ! NO WAY !
It's more Ammunition the Anti Drone Community will have against me and all of you !
I think you all should listen in what I'm saying !
This will also alarm the Animal Rights Activist !
Don't doubt me on this !
You think this is cool Footage
Well it's not !
Where having a hard time with Restrictions in the City Limits
As far as they the people who oppose us your in the Hawks
natural Habitat....
Start thinking before posting any pictures!

EASY there... this isn't bad footage and something that happens in real life. Birds attack (especially birds of prey).

Nothing is wrong with this video and it's deg a good one to have to show how aggressive a bird can be. It's all GOOD :)

Ok. Thank you. Now I’ve seen it all. Lol. (Almost). Did your bird get damaged? It looked like a pretty high velocity head to head hit. Was hawk ok ?? Godspeed
I have no clue as that wasn't my video. I got it from another UAS group and just shared it here :)

I saw an article one time from a bird expert suggesting applying some strips of orange tape to drones. Apparently there aren't any birds with orange on them that a bird of prey would consider a threat (in the US, at least?). I found some reflective orange tape (birds apparently don't like reflective things - hence people hanging CDs up to keep them away from their trees) and wrapped a couple strips around each arm on my Mavic Pro. I regularly flew in areas where eagles were common, and never had any incidents. That's not to say I would have without the tape, though, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I have newer drones now, and have not added the tape to them yet. It might come in handy for helping find a lost drone, too.

out of curiosity, has anyone ever injured a curious (or seemingly, threatened) bird, while flying? i'd feel horrible if this happened. what do you think would be best course of action??

Wow. Hawks are more passive here in Montana...

He was extremely patient as I went through a full battery to get this 2 minutes of video. Actually he was quite bored with the whole thing, odd because if you look close there is one of his youngsters perched nearby. Special treat at the end as propels himself just prior to takeoff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor