DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawk or buzzard attack today!

Can you educate us on what might cause airborne gimbal reset? I have not experienced a reset with my M2Z, but I recently notice a "jump" in a video like the gimbal got stuck for a split second when I was doing a 360 pan.
I'm pretty sure the problem is MP1 only, at least I have never seen it happen with my M2Z.
When it happens on the MP1 its usually at the moment that it ends a file, then starts a new file. At the 3.95gb or 4gb (cant remember) mark. Recording will stop with a beep and the gimbal flops down left or right, It feels like the Mavic is falling uncontrollably, or what you would think if a large bird grabbed it. then beeps again to start recording again and gimbal straightens out and goes level. It lasts about 5 or 6 seconds then all comes back to normal. But when it happens, the camera shuts off first, so you never get to see it on the sd card, and the phone screen recording goes all like rainbow of pixelated colors. Its pretty scary at first, but watch your telemetry on the remote, it shows its not falling. Ive gotten so used to it that its no big deal any more, also it seems to be when your shooting 4k only. My Mav 1's are all running v01.03.700 and I have heard there is a fix in later software versions, who knows. Do a search, many posts about it.

I'm pretty sure the problem is MP1 only, at least I have never seen it happen with my M2Z.
When it happens on the MP1 its usually at the moment that it ends a file, then starts a new file. At the 3.95gb or 4gb (cant remember) mark. Recording will stop with a beep and the gimbal flops down left or right, It feels like the Mavic is falling uncontrollably, or what you would think if a large bird grabbed it. then beeps again to start recording again and gimbal straightens out and goes level. It lasts about 5 or 6 seconds then all comes back to normal. But when it happens, the camera shuts off first, so you never get to see it on the sd card, and the phone screen recording goes all like rainbow of pixelated colors. Its pretty scary at first, but watch your telemetry on the remote, it shows its not falling. Ive gotten so used to it that its no big deal any more, also it seems to be when your shooting 4k only. My Mav 1's are all running v01.03.700 and I have heard there is a fix in later software versions, who knows. Do a search, many posts about it.
Thanks for the insight

I fly over the lake behind me and it is well known to be fished by birds of prey. I have had several get within 100' or so to check it out. A day or so ago I had one...Osprey/Hawk?... buzz it with a serious wing flapping aggressive motion. I brought the "Fly Squirrel 2.0" home. Haven't seen it since. I'm limited to 100' due to airport proximity... I have heard I should CLIMB when this occurs, No Can Do in my case, so running for the hills is my only choice.

Bugs, on the other hand make a real mess.
I noticed smashed bugs on the front of my MP1 for the first time this past weekend. The gimbal reset also occurred, which has happened several times and I've learned not to react when it happens. Now I have to remember to note the time, so I can check the video and data post-flight. I've not seen it any videos.

I thought I got hit by a bird until the second time when it happened close to me... and there were no birds in the area. Gimbal reset. My blood pressure shot through the roof when it happened. Now when the gimbal goes nutz I'm not so worried. I still fly in areas with a lot of raptor type birds so I take caution. YMMV but I've found most predatory birds seem to be more curious than in an attack mode unless your in a nesting area. Once they take a look I've found they seem to leave me alone. BTW I use strobes and a lot of birds still come to look over my MP. Starlings and swallows chase me at times. Oh and don't fly above a BEE BOXES!

I was flying my Mavic Pro over a lake a month or so back. Didn't notice a pair of hawks circling below and ahead of me. Suddenly got a flashing red warning on my screen OBSTACLE! My Mavic came to a dead stop (at 400' AGL!) I collected my wits, turned slightly, and was able to move forward and brought it home. No damage. I noticed the video bumped a time or two, but the hawks were never captured on video. My question is....how close was the hawk or hawks, to trigger the onscreen warning? How far away can an object be to trigger a reaction? Is it purely an optical event, or is there an ultrasonic sensor (forward facing and/or downward facing) at work here?

Oofff, those gimball resets can be quite scary! A couple of firmware versions ago, my MP would often do that after switch between video and photo mode. Scared the bejezus out of me the first time it happened.

Now on the subject of birds triggering object avoidance... this one did! I posted the vid before, but it still is both a highlight and a good warning for me. We are not alone up there and need to responsibly share airspace with these guys... (Note; I know now that the birds we call “buizerd” are called “buzzard” in the UK, whereas they are referred to as “hawks” in the US, and US “buzzards” are vultures.... whoah, what were people thinking when they made up different languages eh?)

Reactions: Grahamerob
In my neck of the woods we call Turkey Vulture's "Buzzards". I didn't know the term Buzzard refers to raptor birds in other areas of the world.

I’ve had a couple of hawks fly up near my Mavic. They just seemed interested in what it was. I’ve not had it long but I read a bit about bird attacks before I bought it and it made sense to me that birds of prey might mistake a grey drone for a pigeon or other food. So just in case (and because I fancied customising it) I skinned it from Decal Girl. And Manfred was born...

Attachments

• 73AD880E-5C73-48CE-92B2-78138BD713C5.jpeg
    73AD880E-5C73-48CE-92B2-78138BD713C5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 104E238C-ECE3-491A-88A0-14CD24651D6F.jpeg
    104E238C-ECE3-491A-88A0-14CD24651D6F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: JoostGT3
I’ve had a couple of hawks fly up near my Mavic. They just seemed interested in what it was. I’ve not had it long but I read a bit about bird attacks before I bought it and it made sense to me that birds of prey might mistake a grey drone for a pigeon or other food. So just in case (and because I fancied customising it) I skinned it from Decal Girl. And Manfred was born...
And? Did it work?

Went out to fly with two Buzzards.. you just have to issue psychic 'air traffic control signals' - to inform them you are there to fly WITH them and not AT them... dohhhhhh (us land lubber 2 leggeds...),

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 21.50.59.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 21.50.59.png
    5 MB · Views: 23
A
I fly over the lake behind me and it is well known to be fished by birds of prey. I have had several get within 100' or so to check it out. A day or so ago I had one...Osprey/Hawk?... buzz it with a serious wing flapping aggressive motion. I brought the "Fly Squirrel 2.0" home. Haven't seen it since. I'm limited to 100' due to airport proximity... I have heard I should CLIMB when this occurs, No Can Do in my case, so running for the hills is my only choice.

An osprey is of sufficient size to quite easily destroy a drone. If it was nesting I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I've had a much smaller hawk circle my drone all the way down to the ground. I recently mapped 1000 ha of cane fields and often had to pause missions and land if i saw birds of prey. Though none of them in this instance seemed to pay the drone any attention at all. They are wild animals and hence completely unpredictable. Id rather land than take a completely unnecessary risk.

Defensive wise, The drone can fly straight up longer and faster than birds.
But, It won't make the problem go away! You still gotta come down, and then you're in their sky-turf!

Check your flight records in the go4 app and replay your flight keeping a close eye on the altitude reading around the time the camera went crazy. If it dropped 4-10 feet then stable it was a bird strike. If no drop in altitude likely camera reset... This happened to me and i saw a 4 feet drop at the time the camera scrambled.

For the first time since flying my Platinum Pro today, I was attacked! Thank goodness the mid-air impact was not severe enough to damage the drone and I was able to safely return home. I was doing a video of a piece of land near me for the new owners. I'd seen two hawks and a few buzzards flying over the ranch, but didn't think anything of it. All of a sudden the video was all over the place! After a tense 4-5 seconds, things stabilized and I flew back home. Will watch more closely for my winged friends next time.

"Buzzards" only live in Russia & Europe not in the USA. We only have vultures here! Kind of like calling a "bison" a buffalo - we don't have buffalos in the USA. Just sayin'!

call them what you want,in Delaware we have had Buzzards for the 69 years I've been here

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_