DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDR vs 1080P Pro settings

Rabber

Reactions
I noticed a big difference in image lighting quality between HDR (which has auto only) and 1080 (Normal) with pro settings on my Mavic air 2. I started my video in HDR and then switched to 1080P with my own settings. Much better lighting with the 1080. For me, HDR auto is to bright in a full sun setting and there are no pro settings to adjust for it. Not a huge image quality difference between HDR and 1080 on a phone or PC. Comments?

Reactions: Droniac
I am interested in seeing the difference between the two. Could you possibly make a still image of each and post here? Would help to see them prior to making comments.

Cordially,

Mark Lent

I use both HDR and manual exposure settings, but always in 4K. Yea, I post in 1080p but shoot in 4K.

So, what's the difference?

Basically, HDR takes 2 photos at 2 different exposures, then analyzes them. In the bright spots it uses data from the lower exposure to pull out the detail. In dark areas, it uses data from the higher exposure to get the detail. Very nice for general use. You want to be a bit careful since it analyses the exposure for each frame. The exposure can change significantly if you move from the dark ground to bright sky in one shot. Sometimes you'll want to use a manual exposure setting for this kind of shot.

Manual Settings are entirely up to you. You can adjust or screw up the exposure according to your artistic traits and believe me, I've done both. When photographing sunsets and clouds, for instance, I'll commonly use manual settings and set it a little darker than "auto" would. This makes for more drama, at least in my mind.

Of course, since the Air 2 does not shoot time laps in HDR, I have to use manual for that.

So HDR verses 1080? What are you talking about? They are two different things.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3