DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heading out to capture some footage at the Saint Augustine Lighthouse, any pointers?

jorgelrod

Reactions
Heading out tomorrow to St. Augustine from Jax to capture some footage of the lighthouse, any pointers? advice?

Heading out tomorrow to St. Augustine from Jax to capture some footage of the lighthouse, any pointers? advice?

Stop off at the Ripley's museum!

Seriously though, try a Helix shot if it's clear around the lighthouse. In the AM your best lighting is towards the land so you should get some awesome shots of the landscape. Use filters if you have them. Watch out for seagulls!!! Plan your shot before you launch and take multiple passes. Avoid sudden movements. Straight down shots are nice in this situation. Oh and a traveling across the water looking down with a raising of the gimbal, as you raise the Mavic and angle off to one side. Make sure you slow down you gimbal speeds btw.

That place is haunted! I'm in Jville. It's supposed to be nice weather tomorrow.

Just curious... Will you have to get permission from them?

I didn't take off or land inside the property, but from a parking lot in the Marina, I operated two hours before they open so there was no one on the property to remove the chance of flying over people, as you know, the air belongs to the FAA so there's really not any violation of law and the photos and video are for personal entertainment purposes only without any commercial intent to use.

Careful with filming the Fort,.. it's a national park and not allowed so you can perhaps get close but don't get caught doing fly overs. Circles and fly-by's should be fine but- getting close might be too risky. MHO. Like the lighthouse it would help if it was before hours,.. tha's your best light- early dawn/sunset, anyway.

Careful with filming the Fort,.. it's a national park and not allowed so you can perhaps get close but don't get caught doing fly overs. Circles and fly-by's should be fine but- getting close might be too risky. MHO. Like the lighthouse it would help if it was before hours,.. tha's your best light- early dawn/sunset, anyway.

NPS doesn't allow take offs or landings from NPS land, if you take off from outside, you could fly over it and they can't do anything about it (this is called the National Parks Loophole) because the air belongs to the FAA. Obviously flying over the fort when it's full of people is a no no as the FAA does not permit drone flight over people, but if you fly over it at 7AM when it's empty you are good to go...

I'm not saying I condone this, just putting it out there, I believe the right way to go is to lobby for de-regulation at the NPS lands but it is out there...

US National Park Rules

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661