DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height Ability in High places, like a mountain???

RokkoRokko

Reactions
Heya Fly-Broz

heres a question for yaz all

DJI Mav 2 Pro drones have an absolute height maximum of 500 metres

So it I climbed a hill that was 250 meters high, and launch my drone from there, does that mean I can only climb 250 meters from home point or does it go 500 meters from home point.

So If I climb a mountain that's 1 kilometer high and want to fly my drone to the crater & explore it, will it even launch considering I be already 500 meters ABOVE the height limit or can I still fly 500 meters higher FROM my launch point.

Someone must have tried flying on a mountain hike, aha

Hi Rokko,
It's a max 500m above take off point.
So if you take off from a point at 250m, you can fly 500m over that . . . well, in a technical sense.

Most countries have their airspace rules for drones, and most have a flight altitude maximum of 120m (400') above ground level.

So, if you are flying on flat terrain, following the rules for airspace, one in that case would fly no higher than 120m.
Most DJI drones have their default alt set to 120m limit, at least this was the case for my M1P.
It might be different with the M2P.

If you were flying up a mountain, you can open the flight limit in settings to 500m, and if you keep close to the terrain as you climb, stay within the 120m limit above the ground under the aircraft.

Keep in mind, the M2P has a max take off altitude for operations of 6000m.

A very FAQ: search the board for long discussions.

As stated above: 500m is from home point

Also, there's a stated service ceiling listed in the owners manual, specifications section (how high in the atmosphere above sea level the drone is specified to operate, regardless of home point).

Chris

Reactions: RokkoRokko
Hi Rokko,
It's a max 500m above take off point.
So if you take off from a point at 250m, you can fly 500m over that . . . well, in a technical sense.

Most countries have their airspace rules for drones, and most have a flight altitude maximum of 120m (400') above ground level.

So, if you are flying on flat terrain, following the rules for airspace, one in that case would fly no higher than 120m.
Most DJI drones have their default alt set to 120m limit, at least this was the case for my M1P.
It might be different with the M2P.

If you were flying up a mountain, you can open the flight limit in settings to 500m, and if you keep close to the terrain as you climb, stay within the 120m limit above the ground under the aircraft.

Keep in mind, the M2P has a max take off altitude for operations of 6000m.

cheers Bro
Mucho appreciado

Perhaps you can climb to altitude, then reset your home point, climb again? I haven’t tried this, because in the US we are limited to 400’. I frequently reset my home point during a flight to accomodate tree cover from my takeoff point.

Perhaps you can climb to altitude, then reset your home point, climb again? I haven’t tried this, because in the US we are limited to 400’. I frequently reset my home point during a flight to accomodate tree cover from my takeoff point.
I have used the technique successfully to see over mountain peaks near me.
Land at a higher point where LOS and signal are maintained. Don’t turn anything off. After 20-30 seconds take off and the new TO point becomes zero altitude. Remember to stay w/in 400’ of the mountainside in vertical and lateral directions.

Reactions: kem and GadgetGuy
Land at a higher point where LOS and signal are maintained. Don’t turn anything off. After 20-30 seconds take off and the new TO point becomes zero altitude. Remember to stay w/in 400’ of the mountainside in vertical and lateral directions.
When making the intermediate stop, can the M2P give one of the many “Cannot take off because...” errors (e.g. compass recalibration needed, software update, etc) or do those only appear when initially powering up? If any of those errors can appear then I suspect that intermediate landing location needs to be easily accessible.

Reactions: kem
You stated to not turn anything off. When you do this landing, you do need to turn off the motors to reset altitude, correct? You don't have to reset the home point using the landing trick, correct?

You stated to not turn anything off. When you do this landing, you do need to turn off the motors to reset altitude, correct? You don't have to reset the home point using the landing trick, correct?
Let the drone do whatever w/o any input from you. The time is for altitude reset on landing.

This does reset the home point so no RTH use... you have to fly it home and land manually.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo