DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height Limitations

S. Lee

Reactions
Recently I've wondered why DJI can't implement such height limitation for areas right outside of Washington DC. They can even limit the flight height to around 100 feet right outside of DC and increase the height limitation as a drone goes further away from DC until it's 15 air miles out. Just don't understand why it has to be all or nothing. Another idea is for DJI to designate some areas like public parks, educational institutions, etc. as places where the geofencing can be downgraded and with height limitation, flying can be permitted.

I work right by DC and live right outside the geofencing of a big airport. When flying near home, DJI limits my flight height to something in the 300 feet and it works well. Numerous times I have been caught off guard as to why the Mavic 2 Zoom won't go higher until I look down at my RC and see the height limit warning sign.

I know this is an old and repeated topic about DJI's geofencing especially about how some locations DJI drone flyers are not even able to lift-off. The biggest culprit being the 15 air miles radius of Washington DC. I teach right outside of DC and using the drone at school to engage kids about science, math, etc. was one of the biggest reason for buying the Mavic and now the Mavic 2 Zoom. On a really cloudy day, I might be able to pull off a flight time of a couple of minutes before big brother locks in and forcibly lands my drone. I've even tried covering the GPS device inside the original Mavic with some RFID material, but one time I covered it too much and the Mavic flew off on its own to be eventually found using the video recording I pressed at the very last second. I know, I know, it's not the best and brightest idea, but that's how desperate I am to fly my drone at school.

I would love any thoughts or feedback on this topic/idea. Thanks!

Sam

Recently I've wondered why DJI can't implement such height limitation for areas right outside of Washington DC. They can even limit the flight height to around 100 feet right outside of DC and increase the height limitation as a drone goes further away from DC until it's 15 air miles out. Just don't understand why it has to be all or nothing. Another idea is for DJI to designate some areas like public parks, educational institutions, etc. as places where the geofencing can be downgraded and with height limitation, flying can be permitted.

I work right by DC and live right outside the geofencing of a big airport. When flying near home, DJI limits my flight height to something in the 300 feet and it works well. Numerous times I have been caught off guard as to why the Mavic 2 Zoom won't go higher until I look down at my RC and see the height limit warning sign.

I know this is an old and repeated topic about DJI's geofencing especially about how some locations DJI drone flyers are not even able to lift-off. The biggest culprit being the 15 air miles radius of Washington DC. I teach right outside of DC and using the drone at school to engage kids about science, math, etc. was one of the biggest reason for buying the Mavic and now the Mavic 2 Zoom. On a really cloudy day, I might be able to pull off a flight time of a couple of minutes before big brother locks in and forcibly lands my drone. I've even tried covering the GPS device inside the original Mavic with some RFID material, but one time I covered it too much and the Mavic flew off on its own to be eventually found using the video recording I pressed at the very last second. I know, I know, it's not the best and brightest idea, but that's how desperate I am to fly my drone at school.

I would love any thoughts or feedback on this topic/idea. Thanks!

Sam

This is a US government mandate not a DJI one. That’s a serious NFZ, the most serious actually, and you really shouldn’t mess with it.

As far as a height restriction in a NFZ instead of an outright ban I agree. Not gonna be putting planes at risk 25 feet up but that’s an FAA thing as much as a don’t mind blaming DJI when it’s warranted this doesn’t have anything to do with them.

I’m sorry that’s terrible. I always tell people who complain about the geo-zones in their area “hey at least you don’t live in Washington DC.”

Reactions: kilomikebravo
This is a US government mandate not a DJI one. That’s a serious NFZ, the most serious actually, and you really shouldn’t mess with it.

As far as a height restriction in a NFZ instead of an outright ban I agree. Not gonna be putting planes at risk 25 feet up but that’s an FAA thing as much as a don’t mind blaming DJI when it’s warranted this doesn’t have anything to do with them.

I’m sorry that’s terrible. I always tell people who complain about the geo-zones in their area “hey at least you don’t live in Washington DC.”
I wasn't flying my drone inside of DC. My drone didn't even go higher than a two story school building.

Even if the FAA put into the 15 air mile radius "No Fly Zone", DJI are the ones willingly putting in the geofences and not allowing their drones to be able to fly even take off. Plenty of other drones from other companies don't have forcible geofencing that DJI does and can fly in places where DJI drones can't. Totally not cool.

It's silly that you need to have internet service inorder to get DJI's approval to fly in other area as well. My iPad doesn't have cellular and lately I am finding more random places in which I need to be unlocked by DJI first to fly. Unless it's the government, placed like schools shouldn't be able to contact DJI and ask to be a No Fly Zone on DJI's geofencing.

I really believe a new flight height limitation system would work well and make more drone hobbyists happy as well.

I wasn't flying my drone inside of DC. My drone didn't even go higher than a two story school building.

Even if the FAA put into the 15 air mile radius "No Fly Zone", DJI are the ones willingly putting in the geofences and not allowing their drones to be able to fly even take off. Plenty of other drones from other companies don't have forcible geofencing that DJI does and can fly in places where DJI drones can't. Totally not cool.

It's silly that you need to have internet service inorder to get DJI's approval to fly in other area as well. My iPad doesn't have cellular and lately I am finding more random places in which I need to be unlocked by DJI first to fly. Unless it's the government, placed like schools shouldn't be able to contact DJI and ask to be a No Fly Zone on DJI's geofencing.

I really believe a new flight height limitation system would work well and make more drone hobbyists happy as well.

I’m not arguing with that it’s kinda ridiculous but DJI has made it a geozone because the US government has made it a NFZ. It happens to be strictest one in the whole US. So I’m just saying you are kinda poking the bear on that one but I agree with your general statement and your compromise to make it a altitude restricted zone rather than a flat out ban but that won’t even happen it’s a good idea though.

And FYI it’s actually 30 mile radius from around Ronald Regan Airport but they are allowing recreational drones to fly in the outer 15 mile ring. (Not sure if that means 107 can’t fly there at all or you can get a LANNC auth from DCA? I think you need a flat out waiver but not sure? )

Edit: it does say recreational or non-recreational but still restricted airspace so still need a waiver?

Last edited:
Poor you in DC. One wonders what planes fly at 100 feet when they are 10 miles from an airport? IMO, drones should have free airspace below say 100 feet outside a 1 mile radius of an airport.

She is still pretty loud at 100 feet on a calm day.

Its not the sound which is a concern to the FAA it is the potential for a collision with a passing aircraft or helicopter.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911