DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello friends, Im panicking right now, can I get mission type flying with Air 2S?

thanks do you have any recommendation on how I can get smooth video footage more than 2-3 seconds? Its not realistic to expect your finger to push at the exact pressure for multiple minutes. One finger twitch and the footage is ruined. Also, you cant even fly in a curve smoothly with just fingers.

Does the DJI app assist this in any way? Last I flew was 3 years ago. Im really shocked that 10 years in and we still don't have the technology to shoot smoothly
No real idea on Air2S as I don't have it and won't unless you sell me your REAL CHEAP - which I'll take.

In your FlyApp "settings" is some settings dealing with gimbal an yaw. Turn these way down and also use tripod mode. I'm 60+ and have shaky hands and can get good video 99% of the time. I do have to "warm up" getting used to the sticks and such - yet the only real issues with my flying and video are the obstacles that pop up in my view and or the OA going off. Then having to move the drone some to not crash. I also fly in pretty confined spots doing waterfalls - so if you're flying in a wide open area - no need for excessive stick movements - thus good video.

YOU have got to practice, practice, practice the fine art of smooth flying. Drones are great, but the human behind them is the major factor on bad video / crashes / etc. Get out into wide open areas and FLY. Worrying about it is 95% of your issue.

Reactions: Droniac and RMS001
If all you ever want to fly are Missions, chances are Litchi is not updated to work with the 2S, others may have more info, as I cannot recall if it worked well with the Air 2.

Personally I find Missions boring, and to me they create more of a potential for loss if something goes wrong. But thats just me.
I give in what is mission flying dobtou go to a remote country and save people lol

I give in what is mission flying dobtou go to a remote country and save people lol
If your being serious and have no clue, then educate yourself with following video ;)

As to the OP, I have no answer for you as I am struggling with why you bought a drone and "needed" a feature that you should have known it didn't have or with no real expectancy to have ever???

Last edited:
Practice will make a BIG difference. Some of the top UAS cinematographers still Free Fly all their shots. The ideal way is to have a 2-man crew with one flying the aircraft and the other flying the "camera" but that's not possible most of the time.
I don’t have a problem with shooting Smooth Footage! I spent hours flying Figure 8’s and I still practice doing it for at least an hour a week! Try it, you’ll see what I mean!

I use Dronelink for missions and thoroughly recommend it. HOWEVER: there is a steep learning curve. This is because there is a huge range of variables/parameters you can add/change to fly your missions. The beuty of it is you can plan your missions on your PC and fully simulate them and see the flight in Google Earth before you take your drone out and execute the mission. There is a large set of tutorial video's and a helpful user forum. I have flown lots of missions safely :)

Reactions: Droniac
Don't use your thumbs, pinch with thumb and forefinger. Much finer control.

Also look at buying longer sticks for your controller. Longer sticks = more fine movement.

Also consider active track, point of interest, etc... to keep the camera on a point of interest when flying. Little jiggles of the drone won't be nearly as noticeable.

As for your "10 years on" complaint you're really asking for an enterprise level drone capability instead of a prosumer drone. The problem is that waypoints are usually handled on the drone itself, which requires computing power, which means either a more powerful processer which draws more power which means less fligh time, or less capabilities elsewhere. Drone manufacturers usually aim for features that most people will use. Waypoints are a common request but given the option to do that or like obstacle avoidance, and only enough CPU power to do one, Avoidance is probably a much more useful feature.
Wouldn't be all the "stupid support" questions if the documentation was miniaturized to the point it cannot be read and typically leads to more questions than answers!

• Love
Reactions: RMS001
I don’t have a problem with shooting Smooth Footage! I spent hours flying Figure 8’s and I still practice doing it for at least an hour a week! Try it, you’ll see what I mean!

I'm not sure why you quoted me and then left that comment. I was flying non-Gyro helicopters years before a MultiRotor was even on the drawing boards. We had to learn to fly the aircraft (the moment you quit flying it you transition into repairing or replacing it) not only forward flight figure 8's but nose-in figure 8's, side slip figure 8's and everything with no Flight Controller holding out hands. That's when we really used Stick-n-rudder to make smooth turns unlike today.

We still require our students to fly figure 8's (all of the above listed) before they take the controls of one of our aircraft for Emergency Services but it's a LOT easier to fly them nowadays.

Cine Mode works well for me when trying to capture a smooth flight video.. your mileage may vary
First, you need to adjust the sensitivity of your joysticks and gimbal to be less responsive. There are YouTube videos on how to do this with some suggested settings. Second, do not use your thumbs. Grab the sticks with two fingers. You have finer control.

If your being serious and have no clue, then educate yourself with following video ;)

As to the OP, I have no answer for you as I am struggling with why you bought a drone and "needed" a feature that you should have known it didn't have or with no real expectancy to have ever???
I was being serious i had no idea what it was but i do now thanks

Wouldn't be all the "stupid support" questions if the documentation was miniaturized to the point it cannot be read and typically leads to more questions than answers!
haha you right.
The api itself is a nightmare in my opinion, it's not only the doc.

Is there a way to tape the stick into a position so that at least it can fly forward at a constant speed for say few minutes?

I'm not sure why you quoted me and then left that comment. I was flying non-Gyro helicopters years before a MultiRotor was even on the drawing boards. We had to learn to fly the aircraft (the moment you quit flying it you transition into repairing or replacing it) not only forward flight figure 8's but nose-in figure 8's, side slip figure 8's and everything with no Flight Controller holding out hands. That's when we really used Stick-n-rudder to make smooth turns unlike today.

We still require our students to fly figure 8's (all of the above listed) before they take the controls of one of our aircraft for Emergency Services but it's a LOT easier to fly them nowadays.
I myself am currently being taught these new (to me) figure 8’s. Slow but having somebody teaching and giving pointers is invaluable.
Hey, what happened to U control flying. ?

I fly 'missions' all the time, but with my MA2 and the Maven app. I don't think it supports the S because the SDK isn't available. The Maven app would definitely deliver exactly what you're looking for - smooth curves, POIs, constant speed, etc. There's a major update (3.6.7) due out next weekend which is going to be fantastic. See YouTube. Perhaps you should consider going for an MA2?

Well, fwiw in my opinion you don’t “fly” a GPS drone. Your steer it, captain it, oversee it .. whatever term you like, I’m sure you could think of another 10 terms that will fit. In any event, you tell it what you want it to do and the onboard flight controller “flys” it for you and you know what? I’m perfectly pleased with that. That frees me up to think about getting the footage I want, concentrate on safety, look for unanticipated shot opportunities etc etc.

As a commercial operator I fly mission flights all the time. Indeed if you’re flying mapping missions/ ortho mosaics or time lapse missions where you fly exactly the same route time and time again for example to show progress on a building site, solar farm inspections ect then waypoint mission points are essential.

That said ....l *can* actually fly. I’m an FAI certified r/c flight instructor and like many people here I was flying decades before camera drones were a thing. Anyone who flys drones and does not have the skillset to do it all manually if required is remiss in their responsibility to safety. You need to practice box flying, figure 8s, diamonds both horizontal and vertical and all of that until it becomes second nature. Once you can do that getting extended smooth capture sequences becomes eminently doable.

Directly addressing the question, as someone else ( surfbird ?) who is also obviously registered in the DJI developer program as well has mentioned earlier in the thread.... there is no support for Mini 2 or Air 2S included in the upcoming SDK slated for release on the 21st of June and I have not heard of any intention to support them in later releases (yet). Even when they are supported I have seen a statement that DJI have no intention of supporting extended waypoint missions for either mini or air model at any time so even when they are SDK supported you’ll only get waypoints via “virtual sticks” method as used in more and more software now days but if you want autonomous extended waypoint mission support independent of control and telemetry link then the Air 2S was not a good choice I’m sorry.

Regards

Ari

I agree 200% with you! ?? cheers Paul
Complete opposite with me, I find waypoint missions super rewarding, & exciting, planning them on the PC in detail & then watching the captured footage is a big + for me, so much so my next drone purchase 100% has to be Litchi waypoint compatible, - excluding the DJI FPV drone of course of which I want just for the fun factor alone.

Kind of a different subject but still along the lines of 3rd party software.....wish it had follow me mode. Hopefully DJI will release support so that Litchi will work with MM2.

One finger twitch and the footage is ruined. Also, you cant even fly in a curve smoothly with just fingers.
I really think you're expecting perfection without practice and flying auto type flights is not going to help much. Basic airwork requires continued practice....a lot of practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S