DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Maine

Jen B

Reactions
Hello, I'm new to the drone community and wondered if anyone else is from the area. I mainly use my drone for photography and aerial videos. So far I've been able to get a few decent shots of the Maine coast.

welcome to the forum

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome Jen B,

If I could only give people who are new to using drones one piece of advice it would be to come here to Mavic Pilots. Here you can find most everything you need to know & knowledgeable friendly folks to help with the rest.
I hope you post some of your pictures & video for us to see. I was born in Portland but moved to Alaska after just 10 days. Later in life I spent a lot of summers in Portland and around Maine with family so it would be great to possibly see a familiar place.

Have Fun!!

Welcome Jen B,

If I could only give people who are new to using drones one piece of advice it would be to come here to Mavic Pilots. Here you can find most everything you need to know & knowledgeable friendly folks to help with the rest.
I hope you post some of your pictures & video for us to see. I was born in Portland but moved to Alaska after just 10 days. Later in life I spent a lot of summers in Portland and around Maine with family so it would be great to possibly see a familiar place.

Have Fun!!
Thank you so much for the welcome. I have taken a few videos of the Portland Headlight, seemed like a good spot to start, but I have to admit it was extremely busy that day and I did worry about dropping into the ocean or having it fall out of the sky lol. I think the challenge I've found so far is state parks and historic sites for the most part ban drone use, although I don't believe people follow the rules given the amount of youtube videos I've seen at those places.

Reactions: FiLiNuX
Welcome Jen. Just over the line in NH. Maine has some awesome lighthouses to fly around. I've found that if I can get there at sunrise, or early morning, it's usually pretty quiet (crowd wise).

Attachments

• Nubble Light.jpg
    Nubble Light.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Jen B
Thank you so much for the welcome. I have taken a few videos of the Portland Headlight, seemed like a good spot to start, but I have to admit it was extremely busy that day and I did worry about dropping into the ocean or having it fall out of the sky lol. I think the challenge I've found so far is state parks and historic sites for the most part ban drone use, although I don't believe people follow the rules given the amount of youtube videos I've seen at those places.
Hi Jen B,
I spent 5 seasons working at a state park and spoke to one or two folks each year who just didn't know the rules. After watching a young couple hand land a Spark last year I started reading up. Learned to fly on a Spark and added M2P. I'm looking forward to more time airborne this year so I can have the confidence to fly in places like lighthouses where there are people. So far I've practiced on Public Reserved Land (public, but not parkland) and my back yard, etc.

No doubt drone pilots are flying at state parks now and then. Mt Battie, where I worked, is seen in some videos online. They may have been made prior to the ban in 2014, more likely nobody complained and the park staff was not aware. I was told last Fall that the State is re-considering the ban. Hopefully they will accommodate this activity somehow; other states do.

Hi Jen B,
I spent 5 seasons working at a state park and spoke to one or two folks each year who just didn't know the rules. After watching a young couple hand land a Spark last year I started reading up. Learned to fly on a Spark and added M2P. I'm looking forward to more time airborne this year so I can have the confidence to fly in places like lighthouses where there are people. So far I've practiced on Public Reserved Land (public, but not parkland) and my back yard, etc.

No doubt drone pilots are flying at state parks now and then. Mt Battie, where I worked, is seen in some videos online. They may have been made prior to the ban in 2014, more likely nobody complained and the park staff was not aware. I was told last Fall that the State is re-considering the ban. Hopefully they will accommodate this activity somehow; other states do.

Thanks for replying. Mt.Battie would be a great place to fly too, hopefully they'll lift some of the restrictions. I do understand the state park restrictions if people are disturbing the environment or chasing wildlife but I doubt that is done very often with drones. It seems like most are responsible and keep them so high up as to not interfere with anything.

Hello from Augusta! Be sure to get some flights around Bug Light in South Portland. It’s a nice little lighthouse out on a jetty.

Reactions: monahantd
Hello, I'm new to the drone community and wondered if anyone else is from the area. I mainly use my drone for photography and aerial videos. So far I've been able to get a few decent shots of the Maine coast.
Just got my Mavic Mini in January. About an hour north of Portland in Waldoboro along the coast. Definitely still getting my 'air legs' but loving every second of it. I've been an avid shutterbug for 5 years now and couldn't imagine a much better place than Maine's coast for learning arial photography!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada