DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Maine

Jen B

Reactions
Hello everyone, I'm new to drones and the drone community. I just bought my Mavic Pro and am planning on using it mostly for aerial photography and video footage here in coastal Maine. Is anyone else from the New England area and if so any recommendations on scenic spots to fly.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi from Damariscotta, Maine. I'm new too. Been reading a lot on this forum so I'm ready to fly safely and without losing my mini or Phantom 4. Been studying for my 107 since it's too cold to be doing much outside recently. Welcome!
Hello, Damariscotta has some beautiful coastal areas, looking forward to seeing your photos/videos. Maybe you can get some aerial shots of the Pumpkin Regatta next year, that would be such a fun event to fly if allowed.

That's a really nice shot of the fort. Did you take this from the East Prom or Peaks? I'm still new to flying so I'm still a bit timid with the cold temps/winds we've had lately and flying over the ocean.
Thank you. It's one of my favorite photos that I've captured. I flew from Spring Point. It's almost exactly 1 mile straight out to the Fort from there. It was not a planned flight that day and just got lucky that it wasn't to windy otherwise it would of really pushed the limits of my Mavic Air.

Basically, thecMaine coast portland and beyond is very nice. Access requires driving down many of the rocky peninsulas. Finding launch sites can be a problem. Studying the area before going there using Google Earth can help.

Thank you. It's one of my favorite photos that I've captured. I flew from Spring Point. It's almost exactly 1 mile straight out to the Fort from there. It was not a planned flight that day and just got lucky that it wasn't to windy otherwise it would of really pushed the limits of my Mavic Air.
That's good to know you can fly from Spring Point, right now since its the off season there are less people around so it does make it easier to get in and out of that area. I actually considered flying there this morning but went to the Portland Headlight instead, got there and realized I forgot my SD card and between that and the winds it wasn't an ideal morning for flying. Had to take an old school photo. Headlight Jan7.JPG

Reactions: Scrinch
That's good to know you can fly from Spring Point, right now since its the off season there are less people around so it does make it easier to get in and out of that area. I actually considered flying there this morning but went to the Portland Headlight instead, got there and realized I forgot my SD card and between that and the winds it wasn't an ideal morning for flying. Had to take an old school photo. View attachment 90088
Still a great photo! To bad about the SD card! If you don't already, use the app UAV Forecast. Its a great tool to tell you the wind speed and direction at heights higher than ground level. It;s much better than guess the wind speed/direction.

Still a great photo! To bad about the SD card! If you don't already, use the app UAV Forecast. Its a great tool to tell you the wind speed and direction at heights higher than ground level. It;s much better than guess the wind speed/direction.
Thank you for the UAV app suggestion, that will also make it easier to plan. I made the mistake of going to York last weekend to fly at Nubble Light and when I got there it was at least 3x as windy as in Portland and was unable to fly (or at least to my comfort level).

Hello everyone, I'm new to drones and the drone community. I just bought my Mavic Pro and am planning on using it mostly for aerial photography and video footage here in coastal Maine. Is anyone else from the New England area and if so any recommendations on scenic spots to fly.
I am from Maine also, Camden area.. Also new to drones, flew yesterday Mavic Mini first time yesterday. I have been a pro photographer for 35 years here and know many beautiful spots, although restrictions about flying in State and National parks cuts the list severely. Get in touch if you wish.

I am from Maine also, Camden area.. Also new to drones, flew yesterday Mavic Mini first time yesterday. I have been a pro photographer for 35 years here and know many beautiful spots, although restrictions about flying in State and National parks cuts the list severely. Get in touch if you wish.
Hello, thanks for responding to this thread. I have noticed the number of restrictions on scenic locations across the state is significant. I think the state park restriction is probably the most frustrating given that I buy the annual state park pass each year it would've been nice to fly and photograph those areas from a new view. It is also hard to find information regarding where you can and cannot fly if its not an obvious place like near an airport or state or national park. I don't believe many of the towns have updated their information to include or exclude drones at this point. Since Mt.Battie is within a state park that's unfortunate you can't get views from the top although you almost don't need a drone to do so.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1jonjon