DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello From Niagara Falls Canada

Thanks for your reply. May I suggest you do a bit of studying of GA flight rules US & Canada. You would then understand that I would be advising area control of my intended operations including the time, date and box I would be conducting operations. in. You will be a better pilot because of it.

John
I appreciate your advice but I'm pretty sure I have all my bases covered.

Allen

... DJI failed to warn purchasers of the Mini2 that they locked out altitudes greater than 500m? I think this is at the very least bad advertising as I am the owner of a Mini and there is no altitude limit code running in it. [...] wish to do aerial mapping with my drones. Now I find out the mini'2 are purpose build defective.
Aren't ALL modern DJI drones limited to max 500m? That's not a secret, is it?

Are you saying you were able to ascend more than 500m with your Mini, but not with your Mini 2?

You do know 500m = 1,640 ft, eh?

I'm curious, what kind of aerial mapping were you planning on doing from higher altitudes than that? Mapping is typically done from much lower altitudes, as you lose a lot of image resolution as you go higher.

What makes you think the Mini2 should be any better suited for doing mapping compared to your current Mini? Neither the Mini or Mini2 is particularly suited for mapping purposes, as neither support autonomous waypoint missions.

You do know 500m = 1,640 ft, eh?

I'm curious, what kind of aerial mapping were you planning on doing from higher altitudes than that? Mapping is typically done from much lower altitudes, as you lose a lot of image resolution as you go higher.

I was wondering the same thing. ?

If one is already a GA pilot, just strap a camera to the bottom of the plane at 1600 feet and map the area.

I could see how the 500m limit might be an issue if you're mapping up the side of a mountain. But there's nothing that high around the Niagara area. The escarpment is less than a 100m elevation change.

My first post and I am wondering why DJI failed to warn purchasers of the Mini2 that they locked out altitudes greater than 500m? I think this is at the very least bad advertising as I am the owner of a Mini and there is no altitude limit code running in it. Before everyone jumps on the recommended altitude limits for drones in Canada or the US. I am not some kid out to cause trouble. I am a licensed GA pilot and from time to time wish to do aerial mapping with my drones. Now I find out the mini'2 are purpose build deflective. So if someone has advice on how to disable the 500m limit, I would like to know or I may be returning my mini 2.

Thanks in advance,

John
I think you should return your mini2, John. As a certified GA pilot, I’m surprised you would even have a problem with this restriction. It is not a product defect, it is a legitimate design choice by DJI and I, for one, have no problem with ut,

Reactions: Steel63
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3