DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello From Niagara Falls Canada

JcGilmour

Reactions
My first post and I am wondering why DJI failed to warn purchasers of the Mini2 that they locked out altitudes greater than 500m? I think this is at the very least bad advertising as I am the owner of a Mini and there is no altitude limit code running in it. Before everyone jumps on the recommended altitude limits for drones in Canada or the US. I am not some kid out to cause trouble. I am a licensed GA pilot and from time to time wish to do aerial mapping with my drones. Now I find out the mini'2 are purpose build deflective. So if someone has advice on how to disable the 500m limit, I would like to know or I may be returning my mini 2.

Thanks in advance,

John

welcome to the forum ,sorry cant help you myself as i do not own a Mini2 ,but someone should be along soon with a possible answer to your question

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. Sorry about your altitude concern, you are in the right place to get support. May I also recommend posting at the MM2 subforum.

My first post and I am wondering why DJI failed to warn purchasers of the Mini2 that they locked out altitudes greater than 500m? I think this is at the very least bad advertising as I am the owner of a Mini and there is no altitude limit code running in it. Before everyone jumps on the recommended altitude limits for drones in Canada or the US. I am not some kid out to cause trouble. I am a licensed GA pilot and from time to time wish to do aerial mapping with my drones. Now I find out the mini'2 are purpose build deflective. So if someone has advice on how to disable the 500m limit, I would like to know or I may be returning my mini 2.

Thanks in advance,

John

First off WELCOME to the forum.

I find it painfully ironic that a GA Pilot has a problem with DJI trying to keep their customers "legal". While there are a few instances where the altitude limits are not applicable the vast majority of the time they are there for good reason.

I don't know about Canada but in the good ole USA we are limited to 400'AGL (or less depending on the airspace) which equates to around 120m. So having a HARD limit of 500m seems like a VERY reasonable and safe situation.

I've never said this before but it might be better off if you DO return your mini2 and take up another hobby that doesn't deal with Aviation and putting Manned Aircraft in harms way.

Thanks in advance,

John
Welcome to the forum.
Did I understand right you have a Mini that hasn’t got the height
restriction as mine does. ?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest contacting dji themselves and asking for advice on how to disable it.

Thanks in advance,

John
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful mountains of Colorado! 500M??? I think my MA would run out of battery before it reached 1600+ feet in altitude! Hahahaha! Happy and safe flying!

First off WELCOME to the forum.

I find it painfully ironic that a GA Pilot has a problem with DJI trying to keep their customers "legal". While there are a few instances where the altitude limits are not applicable the vast majority of the time they are there for good reason.

I don't know about Canada but in the good ole USA we are limited to 400'AGL (or less depending on the airspace) which equates to around 120m. So having a HARD limit of 500m seems like a VERY reasonable and safe situation.

I've never said this before but it might be better off if you DO return your mini2 and take up another hobby that doesn't deal with Aviation and putting Manned Aircraft in harms way.
Thanks for your reply. May I suggest you do a bit of studying of GA flight rules US & Canada. You would then understand that I would be advising area control of my intended operations including the time, date and box I would be conducting operations. in. You will be a better pilot because of it.

John

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78