DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Richmond Hill

welcome to the forum

Reactions: Thomas B
Posted my own thread, but just came across this one... I'm in Maple and waiting to receive my Mavic Mini next week. Bit concerned where I can fly now (was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment purchase due to pandemic brain).. LOL.. Where are you guys flying and/or practicing and not getting bothered?

Posted my own thread, but just came across this one... I'm in Maple and waiting to receive my Mavic Mini next week. Bit concerned where I can fly now (was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment purchase due to pandemic brain).. LOL.. Where are you guys flying and/or practicing and not getting bothered?
Welcome and congrats on your new drone. To be honest with you I only took it up once and it was when I was at my cottage couple weeks ago, other than that I don't enjoy it much in the city cause I already do commercial and residential real estate shooting with my other drones for clients all the time , so it kinda took the joy of it away. Now I enjoy more nature, water, trees vs buildings , roads and houses lol

Here is the video from couple weeks back

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome and congrats on your new drone. To be honest with you I only took it up once and it was when I was at my cottage couple weeks ago, other than that I don't enjoy it much in the city cause I already do commercial and residential real estate shooting with my other drones for clients all the time , so it kinda took the joy of it away. Now I enjoy more nature, water, trees vs buildings , roads and houses lol

Here is the video from couple weeks back

Nice video, looking forward to making my own one day, but still unclear where I can practice and hone my skills ahead of time.

Hey Mosteck.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Did you get the Fly More Combo or the basic kit? Just make sure you have a compatible device (phone or tablet + an adapter) to work with you Mini and the new DJI Fly app. If you are an andorid guy, like I am, you need something with at least 4 GB of RAM. There are people who have made the app work on android devices with less RAM; plenty of discussion on that in different threads.

I fly mostly in parks around where I live if they are deserted and I fly it in my backyard to entertain my son. Also used it to do an inspection on my roof. Any recommendation on roof repair? lol. Just follow the rules of flying a drone below 250 grams and you should be fine...also make sure to adhere to current social distancing rules.

Happy and safe flying!

Philip.

Hey Mosteck.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Did you get the Fly More Combo or the basic kit? Just make sure you have a compatible device (phone or tablet + an adapter) to work with you Mini and the new DJI Fly app. If you are an andorid guy, like I am, you need something with at least 4 GB of RAM. There are people who have made the app work on android devices with less RAM; plenty of discussion on that in different threads.

I fly mostly in parks around where I live if they are deserted and I fly it in my backyard to entertain my son. Also used it to do an inspection on my roof. Any recommendation on roof repair? lol. Just follow the rules of flying a drone below 250 grams and you should be fine...also make sure to adhere to current social distancing rules.

Happy and safe flying!

Philip.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Yes, got the Fly More Combo and have an iPhone XS Max, so should be good to go.. Already downloaded the app too! LOL.. So you do fly in parks when there are no other people around and it's pretty safe? I've got a bit of a backyard, but not really that big to do any real flying in. I'm also like you, part of this purchase was to entertain my 9 and 7 year old also, so didn't want to be dragging them out for 2-3 hour car rides just to fly....

As I'm new, please excuse the question, but I'm assuming the rules of flying below 250g are to just not be stupid with it (a.k.a must fly in a way that does not endanger the safety of other aircraft or people)

As for roof repair, I used Panda Roofing (647-296-7881) about 1.5 years ago to replace our roof. Good job and well priced..

Nice video, looking forward to making my own one day, but still unclear where I can practice and hone my skills ahead of time.
Thank you mosteck.
Parks and trails are good places to practice as long as you're follow these guidelines

Remember mavic mini's biggest enemy is wind. Don't risk it if wind and gusts are high.

Reactions: Mosteck
Hey, thanks for the reply! Yes, got the Fly More Combo and have an iPhone XS Max, so should be good to go.. Already downloaded the app too! LOL.. So you do fly in parks when there are no other people around and it's pretty safe? I've got a bit of a backyard, but not really that big to do any real flying in. I'm also like you, part of this purchase was to entertain my 9 and 7 year old also, so didn't want to be dragging them out for 2-3 hour car rides just to fly....

As I'm new, please excuse the question, but I'm assuming the rules of flying below 250g are to just not be stupid with it (a.k.a must fly in a way that does not endanger the safety of other aircraft or people)

As for roof repair, I used Panda Roofing (647-296-7881) about 1.5 years ago to replace our roof. Good job and well priced..
Thanks for the roofing info, much appreciated.
I presume this is your first drone? If so, use the back yard to understand the controls of the remote sticks. There are a few modes you can assign to the remote via the app. See what you are comfortable with. Just make sure you are not in Sport Mode (S) from the get-go.

I got my Mini in December and parks were deserted for most of winter anyway. Now with this bug running amuck, the parks are still mostly deserted. If there are any people I try to find an unoccupied area or go to another park and hope for desolation. lol. With proposed lifting of restrictions as per Doug Ford, this may change.

Here is a link for a thread that sheds some light on the Do's and Don't's of flying a mini.

Gov. site: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html

Some footage from my Phantom 4 and Mavic Mini. (down rezd to 720P)

Cheers!

Reactions: Mosteck
Thank you mosteck.
Parks and trails are good places to practice as long as you're follow these guidelines

Remember mavic mini's biggest enemy is wind. Don't risk it if wind and gusts are high.

Thanks, makes me feel a bit better.. Last thing I want is to take my kid out to test fly this thing and get slapped with a ticket..

Reactions: Alipasha
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS