DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Ypsilanti Michigan U.S.A.

SmilingOgre

Reactions
Really excited about joining the forum. Started flying a couple of months ago with a Mavic 2 Pro. Have a lot to learn and need a lot of practice. Love the video produced by the camera for sure. Will start with some reading here although I do love just chatting about the hobby.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland SmilingOgre.

I recently purchased a MA2 so I know how you feel.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to our Forum, from Hauptmann in Texas!

You'll find that flying your Mavic 2 Pro or any DJI quad is so easy. They practically fly themselves. This can lead to overconfidence.

Read the manual, and be conservative at first. Practice using “Find My Drone”. Chances are you will crash and perhaps lose your bird. Don't wait until that happens to learn how to recover a lost drone. Lots of good stuff to shoot throughout Michigan. Whenever you need help, there are over 120,000 of us from around the world to assist you as you gain experience and grow as a pilot and photographer.

Glad to have you as a member!

Really excited about joining the forum. Started flying a couple of months ago with a Mavic 2 Pro. Have a lot to learn and need a lot of practice. Love the video produced by the camera for sure. Will start with some reading here although I do love just chatting about the hobby.
Let me also welcome you to the forum. Be aware that Ypsilanti is close to the DTW (?) Detroit airport and the 5 mile rule.

So far.....

I'm reticent to use the term "know" as I am old enough to understand that I may not understand all I know about this, lol;

I've noticed:

The smart batteries discharge rather quickly unused. It's not uncommon to have under 60% after sitting for a couple of days. I top them off before a flight.

We use these batteries hard. They get hot. I would never drive a vaping battery this hard per fear of thermal run away. I love the fact that the charger will not charge a hot battery. I don't mind letting the battery cool one bit.

The Mavic 2 always initializes in P mode regardless of position of mode switch. I like to try to remember to put the switch in P mode prior to flying so things match up from the beginning.

Trying to get used to always removing the gimbal guard even when transferring files. Made that "OoooPs" a few times now.

Trying to remember to review all my settings prior to each launch to include camera settings. Mine has the bizarre habit of setting the exposure offset to -3.

Camera focus often does not initialize right away. I try to always remember to force a focus at the beginning of a flight.

I don't get precision landing. Sometimes it does, usually it doesn't. I'm in the habit of hitting come home and stopping the process just before landing and finish the process manually.

Still playing around with luts and d-log. I'm not sure I have the patience and I don't want to start buying scads of the things. Found one I think I like from DJI, time will tell. Color grading in Premiere Pro eludes me. Again, I don't think I have the patience.

It serves me well to "warm up" every flight like I would with an instrument. Get the muscle memory warmed up a little before performing, so to speak.

The better I survey an area to fly the better the experience. Where are those annoying branches and such that the sensors are not going to react to.

Backing up is still making me nuts. Left is right, right is left.

My wife loves being a spotter. I am very blessed!!!!

Let me also welcome you to the forum. Be aware that Ypsilanti is close to the DTW (?) Detroit airport and the 5 mile rule.

Thanks!

Lol, I have a ton of considerations here, lol. I've got Willow Run airport and Ann Arbor airport and the zones cross over each other. I live in a little spot that's clear in the middle of all that. I've already had to apply for a "three day pass" for one location. A couple of other locations I have 200' ceilings. DJI does a pretty good job of keeping me informed from what I can tell so far.

Thanks!

Lol, I have a ton of considerations here, lol. I've got Willow Run airport and Ann Arbor airport and the zones cross over each other. I live in a little spot that's clear in the middle of all that. I've already had to apply for a "three day pass" for one location. A couple of other locations I have 200' ceilings. DJI does a pretty good job of keeping me informed from what I can tell so far.
Thanks!

Don't be daunted by the color grading. Do a few flights with your setting as H.265 which is like RAW. The footage will be flat. Each clip has to be color graded individually. Switch your editing tab from editing to color. On the right hand side, open each column of selections and play around with the sliders, such as exposure, shadows, contrast, etc. Be sure to activate or select the clip you are working on or nothing will occur. I find that I also have to click on the image of the upper right window to activate or select the clip I am working. After you have gone through the 50r 6 slides, then open the next group of sliders which includes a sharpening slider.

Once you have adjusted the color grade of the clip to your liking, you can copy and paste it to another similar clip. To do this, (1) select the clip you want to copy the color grading. (2) Then go to the top menu, I think in EDIT, and copy. (3) Then go to the clip you want to have the same color grade and activate that clip. (4) Then, go back to Edit> PASTE ATTRIBUTES. It is a nice time saver. You can also do this for still images.

Don't be daunted by the color grading. Do a few flights with your setting as H.265 which is like RAW. The footage will be flat. Each clip has to be color graded individually. Switch your editing tab from editing to color. On the right hand side, open each column of selections and play around with the sliders, such as exposure, shadows, contrast, etc. Be sure to activate or select the clip you are working on or nothing will occur. I find that I also have to click on the image of the upper right window to activate or select the clip I am working. After you have gone through the 50r 6 slides, then open the next group of sliders which includes a sharpening slider.

Once you have adjusted the color grade of the clip to your liking, you can copy and paste it to another similar clip. To do this, (1) select the clip you want to copy the color grading. (2) Then go to the top menu, I think in EDIT, and copy. (3) Then go to the clip you want to have the same color grade and activate that clip. (4) Then, go back to Edit> PASTE ATTRIBUTES. It is a nice time saver. You can also do this for still images.

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write that! With that I will give it another go.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: SmilingOgre

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots