DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello Hello (from Illinois & Arizona)!

Welcome from the land down under. Looking forward to seeing your footage as your new home progresses.
Looking forward to the footage!
The house build documentation should prove to be a rewarding way to get your flight time and experience, and keep a record of the progress...I hope you do post frequent updates of the construction....good luck with it...and
View attachment 139818

I guess now may be a good time to (also) mention that we are *not* doing "traditional 'sticks n bricks'" either! We plan to build using an alternative building method known as "earth bag"!

"Tiny Shiny Home" and "Green Dream Project" are decent examples of what this is ;)

We haven't actually started yet as we are waiting on the structural engineering first (then subsequently county approval). I also don't think we're going to do a youtube like the above examples, I would rather focus on just building the house opposed to building the house AND doing it on/for youtube! Not to mention, if I was going to monetize, I couldn't anyway unless I got my part 107 (at least when it comes to any footage from the drone)! So while I am pretty sure much of our project will be "public", it will likely be more focused on *after the fact* opposed to "live" or "recent"! But if we are approved to proceed (and do get to actually do it), I would like to be public with the build in the end in an effort to help it gain popularity (seems like a REALLY nice way to build)!

Last edited:
And thank you to everyone for the welcome (that I wasn't able to individually respond to) !!!

Hello all, I am brand new here, and brand new to piloting my recently acquired DJI Mini 2! I had initially set my eyes on the DJI Mavic Mini (mini 1). Then I found a video by youtuber "captain drone" where he listed 5 drones @ or below $299, #1 was the Mini SE. Then I watched his video where all he did was review the SE, and it included the "history" of the "mini line" since the spark! After seeing *that* video I changed my mind to get the Mini 2!

I am originally from Chitcago (born and raised) but recently purchased vacant land not too far from Phoenix, AZ! Which was actually one of the primary driving factors of my desire to get a drone and start flying! I will be building my own house (literally, with my two hands, and my GFs two hands - not hiring contractors n crap)... So I figured it would be REALLY cool to get some aerial photographs and videos before, during, and after this massive project we're about to undertake! Though I can already see how much I am going to love using this thing to capture awesome shots any and every-where I can safely (and legally) fly!

I must admit, I am already contemplating getting my part 107 license so that I can also fly commercially. I have already had a neighbor (that knows *nothing* about drones) ask me if I could make a print of their house that I captured on my rec-flight with the beautiful mountains in the background... Makes me wonder if or how much of a "market" there could be for "services" like this! Makes me think, maybe I could look into getting my P107L, and open an LLC and start generating money from what started out as a "hobby"!? Very not sure, and I will have to do a LOT more research before I actually decide on something so drastic, may be an even better idea to wait until after this massive project we're about to undertake is complete! So I am certainly open to any potential suggestions when it comes to that too...

But anyway, I am from Chitcago, Illinois; but I have been there my entire life and have come to HATE it... I do plan to "permanently move to AZ" once the house is complete! I honestly think the only thing I am going to miss is going to be the pizza! As if I didn't already have enough expensive "hobbies", I guess I can now add flying quads/drones to that list! I purchased my DJI Mini 2, [with] fly more bundle, on the 28th of November 2021. I took my first flight on the 30th of November 2021 @ 15:54:44! About that, I was actually planning on doing a manual flight log, until I saw that the DJI fly app records/logs flight info! So I am actually wondering, that time stamp (in DJI fly - flight logs), is that the takeoff time, or the time landed? I am presuming it's take off time... But anyway, it was within that 2 minutes and 3 seconds (the tutorial flight [where it has you go up, left, right, forward, rearward, down]) that I realized how insanely *easy* it was going to be to fly this model! I have made sure to fly every day since then, it's SO fun! I did miss ONE day of flight, the day (3 DEC '21) I drove up to the DJI Arizona store (in Scottsdale) to buy even more spare propellers (just in case), yet *another* battery (hey there's an open 'hole' in the mini just asking for a battery while the other 3 are charging >.>), and an anti collision strobe light!

So, I do look forward to making some new "peeps" (friends) here! Even better if you're in, near, or along the path of Chitcago, IL and Phoenix, AZ!
Welcome! Hope your home build goes well! I’m having a house built in Scottsdale currently (not me building it lol). Definitely some great places to fly in AZ. 💯

Reactions: Sparc343
Welcome! Hope your home build goes well! I’m having a house built in Scottsdale currently (not me building it lol). Definitely some great places to fly in AZ. 💯
I <3 AZ *SO* much. Though I am also done with "city life", I am going to be quite rural! My place is actually ~20-25 miles from the closest "town"! But I fell in love with the Phoenix area, well conceptually a long time ago, and since I finally got to come out to see it live and in the flesh for my first time in 2014! First time out, I came at the perfect time for a "snow bird" or the best time to make a sales pitch for "the valley", came in like NOV/DEC! Then before deciding to take the plunge, my GF and I went tent camping in the tonto national forest (just north of Apache Junction) for 2x weeks for the Fourth of July a few years back... It was then we figured we will be able to "man the heat" of summer here, and decided to move here full time! Plus, even if we cannot "take the heat", at this point in my life I figure I'd rather "flee" the summer/heat than flee the winter/cold!

I also drive for a living so Scottsdale isn't "far" to me... I've already been to the DJI Arizona store in Scottsdale :D Wondering, are there any 'groups' or 'events' for flying in the area? I am sure there are *plenty* of good spots in "the valley", my land (which will be my homestead) is even one of them! For a more accurate reference I'm actually closer to Casa Grande than I am Phoenix BTW... But yeah, the reason I bought this lot was because of the 360° mountain views, and the fact that my closest "neighbor" is like 0.5 miles away :D

Welcome from Wisconsin!
Sweet! My pops is from (Janesville) WI :D

Yes, I know to watch the weight (which is why I haven't attached it yet). I know the body says < 249 grams but "in reality" I know DJI specifications list them as (generally) being 242 grams. I have also seen (I wish I could remember where) where someone weighed theirs and all stock w/ an SD card theirs only came in @ 236 grams! So if I am lucky enough that my actual model is somewhere between 236 and 242 grams I will have anywhere between 7.99 - 13.99 grams to "play with"! Will not know until I get a scale though, so for now I fly bone stock without any payload!

I have already taken TRUST and have the document saved on my phone! I will register if I wind up exceeding the weight limit, but I doubt I will have to since I am almost sure I will be able to find an adequate light between 7.99 - 13.99 grams!

When did the TRUST test actually go "live"? I'm just curious because a friend that I didn't even know flew drones (until I mentioned that I just got one) has never heard of it, and I *tried* telling him it's something he "HAS" to do... Guess he's been flying since before that was a thing...

I may want to play the lottery! I was able to weigh in today on my GF's brand new scale! I measured my drones take off weight at 234 grams (with a fully charged battery and SD card)... With the light I grabbed (the only one they had in stock at the time at the store) the firehouse arc XL - brings it to 249 grams!

234.png
249.png

Last edited:
Eight days of flight so far, and logged 49.83397 miles (80.2 km)! Awesome! Sure doesn't feel like it!

Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Look forward to your input to the forum.
Regards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus