DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello Hello (from Illinois & Arizona)!

Sparc343

Reactions
Hello all, I am brand new here, and brand new to piloting my recently acquired DJI Mini 2! I had initially set my eyes on the DJI Mavic Mini (mini 1). Then I found a video by youtuber "captain drone" where he listed 5 drones @ or below $299, #1 was the Mini SE. Then I watched his video where all he did was review the SE, and it included the "history" of the "mini line" since the spark! After seeing *that* video I changed my mind to get the Mini 2!

I am originally from Chitcago (born and raised) but recently purchased vacant land not too far from Phoenix, AZ! Which was actually one of the primary driving factors of my desire to get a drone and start flying! I will be building my own house (literally, with my two hands, and my GFs two hands - not hiring contractors n crap)... So I figured it would be REALLY cool to get some aerial photographs and videos before, during, and after this massive project we're about to undertake! Though I can already see how much I am going to love using this thing to capture awesome shots any and every-where I can safely (and legally) fly!

I must admit, I am already contemplating getting my part 107 license so that I can also fly commercially. I have already had a neighbor (that knows *nothing* about drones) ask me if I could make a print of their house that I captured on my rec-flight with the beautiful mountains in the background... Makes me wonder if or how much of a "market" there could be for "services" like this! Makes me think, maybe I could look into getting my P107L, and open an LLC and start generating money from what started out as a "hobby"!? Very not sure, and I will have to do a LOT more research before I actually decide on something so drastic, may be an even better idea to wait until after this massive project we're about to undertake is complete! So I am certainly open to any potential suggestions when it comes to that too...

But anyway, I am from Chitcago, Illinois; but I have been there my entire life and have come to HATE it... I do plan to "permanently move to AZ" once the house is complete! I honestly think the only thing I am going to miss is going to be the pizza! As if I didn't already have enough expensive "hobbies", I guess I can now add flying quads/drones to that list! I purchased my DJI Mini 2, [with] fly more bundle, on the 28th of November 2021. I took my first flight on the 30th of November 2021 @ 15:54:44! About that, I was actually planning on doing a manual flight log, until I saw that the DJI fly app records/logs flight info! So I am actually wondering, that time stamp (in DJI fly - flight logs), is that the takeoff time, or the time landed? I am presuming it's take off time... But anyway, it was within that 2 minutes and 3 seconds (the tutorial flight [where it has you go up, left, right, forward, rearward, down]) that I realized how insanely *easy* it was going to be to fly this model! I have made sure to fly every day since then, it's SO fun! I did miss ONE day of flight, the day (3 DEC '21) I drove up to the DJI Arizona store (in Scottsdale) to buy even more spare propellers (just in case), yet *another* battery (hey there's an open 'hole' in the mini just asking for a battery while the other 3 are charging >.>), and an anti collision strobe light!

So, I do look forward to making some new "peeps" (friends) here! Even better if you're in, near, or along the path of Chitcago, IL and Phoenix, AZ!

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

The first pic I have to share is actually my drone itself. The one night I had an entire battery left over and it was already dark, and I have not attached my strobe yet so I decided to hover it just about at head level and take some shots from my phone, of it. Thought about it like, oh, I have used this awesome little thing to take all these really nice vids and pics but I haven't really (yet) taken any pic's of IT... So I drained the battery in my best attempt to get a good shot, from a rather crappy phone cam! It's the same one I have set as my avatar and banner, but here it is full res :) I like that you can see the moon in the BG (bottom left of the drone)..!

DJI_MINI2_AVATAR.png

The one night I had an entire battery left over and it was already dark, and I have not attached my strobe yet so I decided to hover it just about at head level and take some shots from my phone,

Just a heads up, attaching anything to the Mini 2 may put it past the 250 gram limit of registration requirements from the FAA.

You may want to register your Mini 2 and take the TRUST test if you haven't already.

TRUST TEST

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Yes, I know to watch the weight (which is why I haven't attached it yet). I know the body says < 249 grams but "in reality" I know DJI specifications list them as (generally) being 242 grams. I have also seen (I wish I could remember where) where someone weighed theirs and all stock w/ an SD card theirs only came in @ 236 grams! So if I am lucky enough that my actual model is somewhere between 236 and 242 grams I will have anywhere between 7.99 - 13.99 grams to "play with"! Will not know until I get a scale though, so for now I fly bone stock without any payload!

I have already taken TRUST and have the document saved on my phone! I will register if I wind up exceeding the weight limit, but I doubt I will have to since I am almost sure I will be able to find an adequate light between 7.99 - 13.99 grams!

When did the TRUST test actually go "live"? I'm just curious because a friend that I didn't even know flew drones (until I mentioned that I just got one) has never heard of it, and I *tried* telling him it's something he "HAS" to do... Guess he's been flying since before that was a thing...

Reactions: hychewright

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan