DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help anyone with North Queensland knowledge

KDog

Reactions
Hi All - I've got a trip coming up in September to Cairns and surrounds and I'm doing a bit of virtual location scouting. I've got a reasonably tight timeframe for shooting so need to keep it all fairly snappy. My primary question is - does anyone know from where to fly to get that famous Kuranda Railway Viaduct shot? Is that Barron Falls or is it elsewhere along the line?

Secondary question is any general suggestions for good shooting locations - I know we're fairly spoilt for choice up there, but want to make every flying minute count.

Cheers,

K.

I’m not sure what you mean by Viaduct but I can give you some tips. Oh, and I have never flown a drone, but I am thinking of buying one. I just signed up to answer your question.

1. Walk to the end of the Weir Track (it’s a bit rough so wear good shoes). Once you get to the weir you’ll be just below the section of the railroad that crosses Stony Creek. I know that’s a common shot used in tourist brochures.

This is the Google Plus code for the location of the car park at the beginning of the Weir Track - 5RM74MF8+VX

This is roughly where the weir is - 5RM74MC5+QM

You should be able to get some nice shots along the Weir Track. I used to take a lot of photos along there a few years ago. It was not well known at the time and the further up the track you go, the fewer the people. At least that was my experience prior to 2013.

2. The Douglas Track. I’m not sure if this is still open, but you will find the start of the track just after the first river crossing on the Weir Track. It’s an old Aboriginal track that will take you up over Glacier rock and, eventually to Kuranda. You should get some good flying spots along this track.

3. Barron Gorge Power Station. (5RM74JXW+8W) As you cross over the Barron River, on your left, you’ll see a waterfall. There used to be an old track that would take you up to the railway line above the Power Station.

4. There is also Barron Falls Road, and Wrights Lookout (5RM75J7R+8X). Both are accessible via Kuranda. I don’t remember what Wrights Lookout is like, but I think there are several viewing platforms along a boardwalk at the end of Barron Falls Road. If the falls are flowing, and you are game enough, you could fly out and get some nice shots of the falls and the train from there. I also think you can see the Cable Cars, as they cross the Barron River, from there as well.

5. Although probably not suitable for filming the train, you can walk along the Barron River, from the Power Station Bridge, all they way up to the bottom of the falls. Be very, very careful, if you are going to do that though as they can release water without warning and you’ll be lucky not to get drowned. You have to climb over huge boulders, and the edge of the river is very steep. Be very, very careful.

And, be careful of crocodiles. There are saltwater crocodiles in the Barron River. The Weir Track should be safe enough, but don’t trust the Barron or any other rivers in the area.

Just a funny story about getting soaked in the Barron Gorge: I was doing some audio recording between the Power Station and the Falls one day. I had wedged myself between two large boulders - both feet on one side, and back on the other. I was holding my recording equipment in one hand and an expensive mic in the other. As I was recording, it started raining. I thought it would just be a light shower, but it got heavier and heavier. Water began flowing down the boulders making them very slippery. As I shifted my weight, to climb out, my feet slipped and I fell into the water. It was only a few feet deep but I fell backside first into it!! Thankfully my equipment survived but I lost a good patch lead and wind protector. It’s been over 4 years now but, if you find them ... :)

I hope you have fun in Cairns.

I’m not sure what you mean by Viaduct but I can give you some tips. Oh, and I have never flown a drone, but I am thinking of buying one. I just signed up to answer your question.

1. Walk to the end of the Weir Track (it’s a bit rough so wear good shoes). Once you get to the weir you’ll be just below the section of the railroad that crosses Stony Creek. I know that’s a common shot used in tourist brochures.

This is the Google Plus code for the location of the car park at the beginning of the Weir Track - 5RM74MF8+VX

This is roughly where the weir is - 5RM74MC5+QM

You should be able to get some nice shots along the Weir Track. I used to take a lot of photos along there a few years ago. It was not well known at the time and the further up the track you go, the fewer the people. At least that was my experience prior to 2013.

2. The Douglas Track. I’m not sure if this is still open, but you will find the start of the track just after the first river crossing on the Weir Track. It’s an old Aboriginal track that will take you up over Glacier rock and, eventually to Kuranda. You should get some good flying spots along this track.

3. Barron Gorge Power Station. (5RM74JXW+8W) As you cross over the Barron River, on your left, you’ll see a waterfall. There used to be an old track that would take you up to the railway line above the Power Station.

4. There is also Barron Falls Road, and Wrights Lookout (5RM75J7R+8X). Both are accessible via Kuranda. I don’t remember what Wrights Lookout is like, but I think there are several viewing platforms along a boardwalk at the end of Barron Falls Road. If the falls are flowing, and you are game enough, you could fly out and get some nice shots of the falls and the train from there. I also think you can see the Cable Cars, as they cross the Barron River, from there as well.

5. Although probably not suitable for filming the train, you can walk along the Barron River, from the Power Station Bridge, all they way up to the bottom of the falls. Be very, very careful, if you are going to do that though as they can release water without warning and you’ll be lucky not to get drowned. You have to climb over huge boulders, and the edge of the river is very steep. Be very, very careful.

And, be careful of crocodiles. There are saltwater crocodiles in the Barron River. The Weir Track should be safe enough, but don’t trust the Barron or any other rivers in the area.

Just a funny story about getting soaked in the Barron Gorge: I was doing some audio recording between the Power Station and the Falls one day. I had wedged myself between two large boulders - both feet on one side, and back on the other. I was holding my recording equipment in one hand and an expensive mic in the other. As I was recording, it started raining. I thought it would just be a light shower, but it got heavier and heavier. Water began flowing down the boulders making them very slippery. As I shifted my weight, to climb out, my feet slipped and I fell into the water. It was only a few feet deep but I fell backside first into it!! Thankfully my equipment survived but I lost a good patch lead and wind protector. It’s been over 4 years now but, if you find them ... :)

I hope you have fun in Cairns.

Brilliant!! Thanks so much! Nothing beats local knowledge - looking forward to getting some great shots. I'll be up in a few weeks in mid-September so I'd be surprised if there's much water around, although I'm not sure what the catalyst for a release would be, so I'll be very careful. I guess the benefit of a drone is that you can - to a certain extent - avoid putting yourself in some of the dodgy locations that still photographers sometimes choose to get great shots.

I lived in NQ for a few years and so I have a healthy respect and a crippling fear of our little salty friends. Will certainly give them a wide birth.

If you still live up that way (or anywhere in Aus really) a drone would be worth its weight in gold - there's such an abundance of picturesque scenery up there - very spoilt.

Thanks again, and I'll post some footage if I can do justice to the area.

Cheers, K.

Reactions: AdrianJH1
Glad to be of help.

I’m pretty sure Stony Creek Falls is the spot you were referring to, so the Weir Track would be the way to go. Once you’re at the weir, you could launch your drone through the tree canopy and probably be at just the right level for the rail crossing.

You could also walk along the rail track but you could get yourself in trouble. Plus, the Weir track has some nice billabongs that would be open enough to fly a drone around in. Or, you could go for a swim and cool off. :)

I’ve been really tempted to buy a drone. I live in Toowoomba and we have a drone shop here that has a few drones on display, plus an indoor flying area. I don’t do much photography or audio recordings anymore, so I’m not sure I could justify the cost as anything other than a hobby.

I plan to go back to the islands in PNG in the next year or two, and would really love to get some drone footage while I’m there.

Reactions: KDog
Update: in NQ at the moment. Went to Stony Creek but couldn't reach the falls - tried to launch and fly up there but I couldn't get a GPS lock through the canopy and it was drifting dangerously laterally and vertically so I had to can that one.

Went to Barron Falls, no CASA restrictions, no National Parks restrictions and got there only to find out from signage that drone flying is banned the State rail transport act!! [emoji35]

Two fails from two; heading to last location now so hoping that the day isn't a complete write off...

Went to Barron Falls, no CASA restrictions, no National Parks restrictions and got there only to find out from signage that drone flying is banned the State rail transport act!! [emoji35]

Do you have a citation for this? I can find no reference to it.

No, I should have taken a photo of it. It was a Queensland Rail branded sign that cited two particular Sections (s.206?? an another) of an state Act. I've done a quick search and the only one I can find is the Rail Safety National Law (Queensland) Act 2017, so assume that's one. I haven't researched yet, but I'd expect that it's some very general section about not interfering or endangering rail operations or something rather than anything that explicitly cites drones. I'll read up more over the next week and post an update.

No, I should have taken a photo of it. It was a Queensland Rail branded sign that cited two particular Sections (s.206?? an another) of an state Act. I've done a quick search and the only one I can find is the Rail Safety National Law (Queensland) Act 2017, so assume that's one. I haven't researched yet, but I'd expect that it's some very general section about not interfering or endangering rail operations or something rather than anything that explicitly cites drones. I'll read up more over the next week and post an update.

Rail Safety National Law (Queensland) Regulation 2017 only speaks to drug testing and a safety investigation fee.

Rail Safety National Law (Queensland) Bill 2017 only speaks to drug testing, management of railways, applicability of the national law and other rules, SMS, and a few other smaller random things related to running railways (disputes, etc.).

From what I can tell, nothing much related to external actors, such as drone operators. I'd be curious as to what they're claiming would preclude drone operations under their local regulations.

Called Queensland Rail, was told to send an email. Unsurprisingly, the email has gone into the black pit of government. I'm afraid this one may go unsolved until someone can take a photo of the sign...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest