DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Choosing 'upgrade' - Photography and Video orientated

ShootingStills

Reactions
Morning all,

Hope you're all well and are up for giving me some advice. I am a semi professional photographer (basically a Getty contributor and sell prints etc) and I am getting a slight itch to upgrade.

I have been a happy Mavic 2 Pro user for pushing 4 years, I cant quite believe how reliable it has been in fact. The image quality is ok, video ok too but slightly limiting with 4k 30p.

Should I keep it and add the Mini 3 Pro? 48mp Stills albeit on a small 'smartphone' size sensor with very small pixels. Plus I get 4k 60 and 1080 120... Plus vertical images which is a huge plus. I love shooting landscape photos in Portrait orientation.

Or, get the Mavic 3 and of course sell the 2 Pro. The Mavic 3 giving me slightly better image quality, long flight time, father superb video and 4k 120 which is quite appealing. I dont do loads of video but keeping up with the Reels and odd promo its handy. The tele lens may come in handy, it may not... I dont know.

What would you do guys?

I have shared a few images so you can see the type of stuff I do. All on my last trip.

Really appreciate your help :)

Attachments

• Blue Pool IG.jpg
    Blue Pool IG.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Top Down Blue Pool IG.jpg
    Top Down Blue Pool IG.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Two IG.jpg
    Two IG.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Sunset on Gorge IG.jpg
    Sunset on Gorge IG.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to the forum.

My feeling when reading your post is that the Mavic 3 would be the better choice since you're getting a bigger sensor as well as other improvements with the longer flight time and more video modes.

If you were concerned about the change in regulations and wanted a drone that would allow to fly with fewer restrictions or wanted to lighten your setup then I think the Mini 3 Pro would have been worth considering but since you're saying you want an upgrade and only find the Mavic 2 Pro image quality ok then I think you're going to find the smaller sensor on the Mini 3 Pro a downgrade.

Reactions: rx7ward
Hi John and thanks for the reply and thoughts, I am kind concerned about those regs yes especially with what looks an oversight by DJI with non classification of the M3. I have looked at a few samples from the Mavic 3 and images seem good, maybe the same at the M2 Pro I have, I dont often shoot after sunset so the low light benefit will not do much for me.

I am very intrigued by the Mini 3 for the 4k 60 and ridiculously small design. I often hike and end up leaving my M2 Pro behind as the camera gear takes priority.

Dilema!

I don't think any drones are classified yet so it looks like the only safe bet from that point of view is a sub 250g drone.

I've had similar thoughts about the Mini 3 for portability and did order one initially (then cancelled it) since at the moment I can carry the Mavic 2 Pro or a camera when I'm out cycling but not really both as the backpack I have for that is too much for any distance on the bike. However I had second thoughts because I've bought smaller more portable cameras in the past and just ended up sticking with the original camera plus I realised the size saving wasn't as much as I thought since the controller itself is no smaller. I have been thinking of trying to find another small backpack I could maybe squeeze the M2P and a camera into.

Given the Mini 3 Pro is popular and not a huge cost if you bought it and didn't like it then you could probably sell it on without losing much money.

Morning all,

Hope you're all well and are up for giving me some advice. I am a semi professional photographer (basically a Getty contributor and sell prints etc) and I am getting a slight itch to upgrade.

I have been a happy Mavic 2 Pro user for pushing 4 years, I cant quite believe how reliable it has been in fact. The image quality is ok, video ok too but slightly limiting with 4k 30p.

Should I keep it and add the Mini 3 Pro? 48mp Stills albeit on a small 'smartphone' size sensor with very small pixels. Plus I get 4k 60 and 1080 120... Plus vertical images which is a huge plus. I love shooting landscape photos in Portrait orientation.

Or, get the Mavic 3 and of course sell the 2 Pro. The Mavic 3 giving me slightly better image quality, long flight time, father superb video and 4k 120 which is quite appealing. I dont do loads of video but keeping up with the Reels and odd promo its handy. The tele lens may come in handy, it may not... I dont know.

What would you do guys?

I have shared a few images so you can see the type of stuff I do. All on my last trip.

Really appreciate your help :)
I'll take a stab at this!

We are more or less in the same boat as far as M2P vs M3. I am a lifetime photography hobbyist and do not depend on photography for a living, but it accounts for 70% of why I travel, and gives me hours of pleasure. I have used and loved the Mavic 2 Pro and have had it for about 4 years. I agonized over the M3 for a long time, then made the switch a few months ago. I was so impressed with the images that I finally decided to switch to the M3 and presently, my dear, and precious M2P is for sale on the forum as of yesterday (with mixed emotions). I am very impressed by the colors and sharpness of the M3 camera. I use the RC Pro which replaced the Apple iPad I used for the M2P.

I am totally not impressed at all by the tele lens which I have tried and put aside as useless for me. Even though I am retired, I have only time for one drone. I am not a drone collector!(I have already bought and sold a Mavic Air and a Mavic Mini 2).

So the bottom line for me is, you will be happy with the Mavic 3 and there is really no need for the Mavic 2 Pro unless you really need the waypoints for work. Just my opinion.

You can see videos from both on my website
Dale
Miami

I don't think any drones are classified yet so it looks like the only safe bet from that point of view is a sub 250g drone.

I've had similar thoughts about the Mini 3 for portability and did order one initially (then cancelled it) since at the moment I can carry the Mavic 2 Pro or a camera when I'm out cycling but not really both as the backpack I have for that is too much for any distance on the bike. However I had second thoughts because I've bought smaller more portable cameras in the past and just ended up sticking with the original camera plus I realised the size saving wasn't as much as I thought since the controller itself is no smaller. I have been thinking of trying to find another small backpack I could maybe squeeze the M2P and a camera into.

Given the Mini 3 Pro is popular and not a huge cost if you bought it and didn't like it then you could probably sell it on without losing much money.

Ahh I see. So its more like speculation that the Mavic 3 could be classed above the C2 class?

Yes it is a real balance with gear you take that is for sure. Its harder on a bike as it throws everything off balance and get in the way of the saddle. I am torn as to what to do. The drone I really want is something the same size as the M2P or a tiny bit smaller, with 40 plus min run time, 30+mp 4/3 sensor with vertical shooting. So basically a combination of the two I mentioned, as always the right product isn't available ;)

That is why I am slightly reluctant to buy the Mavic 3, as if there is an Air 3, or Air 3 Pro released, or even the Mavic 4 in a few years with mostly of those specs, the Mavic 3 will become an expensive stepping stone.

That's true about the Mini 3, will be easy to sell and I know my photographer friend would love it.

The Mavic 3 dng and video files are a joy to work with and don't believe the negative publicity about the 7x. It is only 12 mp yea but very capable. This photo with the 7x is at 800 ISO, 9.6 miles from the Empire State building barely before sunset so not bright light.

Attachments

• Manhattan-Optimized,-Enlarged.png
    Manhattan-Optimized,-Enlarged.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
Ahh I see. So its more like speculation that the Mavic 3 could be classed above the C2 class?
I don't know if drones can be classified after release but my understanding is under the current rules is that once the new classification rules comes into play, existing drones come under legacy rules which simply consider if the drone is under or over 250g. That means the Mini 3 Pro at under 250g will remain in the less restrictive A1 category but the Mavic 3 Pro will go into the more restrictive A3 category even with an A2 license after January 2023 although that looks like it will be extended.

If you're wanting an idea what may come next in a 4/3 sensor Olympus have released the OM-1 using the new stacked 4/3 sensor:

There's of course no guarantee DJI will use this sensor but there's very few 4/3 sensors these days so it's unlikely there would be the high resolution one you're looking for.

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at this!

We are more or less in the same boat as far as M2P vs M3. I am a lifetime photography hobbyist and do not depend on photography for a living, but it accounts for 70% of why I travel, and gives me hours of pleasure. I have used and loved the Mavic 2 Pro and have had it for about 4 years. I agonized over the M3 for a long time, then made the switch a few months ago. I was so impressed with the images that I finally decided to switch to the M3 and presently, my dear, and precious M2P is for sale on the forum as of yesterday (with mixed emotions). I am very impressed by the colors and sharpness of the M3 camera. I use the RC Pro which replaced the Apple iPad I used for the M2P.

I am totally not impressed at all by the tele lens which I have tried and put aside as useless for me. Even though I am retired, I have only time for one drone. I am not a drone collector!(I have already bought and sold a Mavic Air and a Mavic Mini 2).

So the bottom line for me is, you will be happy with the Mavic 3 and there is really no need for the Mavic 2 Pro unless you really need the waypoints for work. Just my opinion.

You can see videos from both on my website
Dale
Miami
Thanks very much for the input, lovely looking videos you have created too. I am very interested in
I don't know if drones can be classified after release but my understanding is under the current rules is that once the new classification rules comes into play, existing drones come under legacy rules which simply consider if the drone is under or over 250g. That means the Mini 3 Pro at under 250g will remain in the less restrictive A1 category but the Mavic 3 Pro will go into the more restrictive A3 category even with an A2 license after January 2023 although that looks like it will be extended.

If you're wanting an idea what may come next in a 4/3 sensor Olympus have released the OM-1 using the new stacked 4/3 sensor:

There's of course no guarantee DJI will use this sensor but there's very few 4/3 sensors these days so it's unlikely there would be the high resolution one you're looking for.

So I can give you all an update on this. Thanks again for feedback. I was about to push the button on a Mavic 3, which in the uk is £2400 with the fly more kit… then I thought I will just download some RAW samples and edit a few and that was unfortunately where my enthusiasm stopped.

While the images were fine, and certainly usable, they just are no better than my current M2 Pro, especially when you consider the ease of bracketing for more Dynamic range. I didn’t buy the Mavic 3 a year ago as I was disappointed it was the same 20mp resolution and being 80/20 in favour of Stills photography the resolution is key. The video is however a vast improvement.

Anyway. I have bought a mini 3 pro to accompany me on long hikes and when the wonderful British gov decide that I cannot fly anything heavier. I have managed to find a fly more kit too and some filters. I’ll definitely post some images soon

The Mavic 3 dng and video files are a joy to work with and don't believe the negative publicity about the 7x. It is only 12 mp yea but very capable. This photo with the 7x is at 800 ISO, 9.6 miles from the Empire State building barely before sunset so not bright light.
Not really about the megapixels but rather the much smaller sensor size (basically same as a mini 1 but with a long optics in front), definitely a noticible poorer quality especially next to the drones main camera. The main advantage you get is the reach but not much else. In other words I wouldn't even factor in the 7x when trying to make the comparison of which to get.

Go with the Mav 3 hands down, you will not be disappointed, especially if you do a lot of editing, it is a photography/videography beast!

The Mavic 3 is, IMHO absolutely worth the cost if you are doing this professionally. Your drone will be a write off which can be a huge help. I think the 7x lens is really quite decent and with some sharpening and tweaking in LR I would expect Getty may be willing to take 7x images but I don't now their current policies. If they require 48mp images or something the Mav3 may not be worth the cost. I remember when 10MP came out and all the wedding photographers went nuts because it was no longer required to change from Vertical to Horiz with so many pixels! Additionally, 90% of images now are for screen and not giant 20x30 blow up prints and for that the 7x can make wonderful images. When shot as pano's you can get fantastic results. Again..check Getty for their pixel requirements. Don't expect huge 24" wide prints being tack sharp from the 7x but it certainly has its use and the Mav3 is more stable and wind capable than the Mini3.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu