DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help flying a slow, low level straight line

Hood River

Reactions
Whats the trick here? Trying to fly about 4' off the ground and I need to record video for about 60' in length. And I need to center over an object that's 6' wide. When I try to just fly, the Mavic will drift a little left or right. I tried Tap To Fly but it wanted to take the Mavic up to 25 feet. Is there an altitude setting in Tap To Fly?

I didn't have much luck trying to set waypoints ether.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You could try the Course Lock mode. Start with the Mavic in the air at the beginning of your object and point it toward the end of your object. You can zoom in the camera to get a more precise heading and it will probably be easier to set up at a higher altitude. Then when you tap "Apply" on the app your course will be set. Then you can re-adjust the camera and height if necessary for your shot.

Thanks.
I tried using Course Lock but it sounds like I might have been using it incorrectly. I need to practice these modes before I get out in the field where I really need it to work.

I don't see why the Mavic would drift unless there was a strong wind, GPS did not have a good lock or you are pushing the stick a little to the side.

If you're planning to do this and more technical stuff in the future you might consider Litchi or one of the other flight controls. I use Litchi for almost all of my controlled flight now. I still like DJI GO4 when I'm in command but it would be dead easy to set this up with Litchi. You probably need to create two waypoints, and one point of interest. Then get out to the field and set the program to fly 4' above the ground. Press start and watch it happen. If you need to you can adjust the waypoints manually or by inputting new coordinates.

I don't think waypoints created in Litchi would be accurate enough. I have a 6' wide path that I was trying to navigate down the center off for about 60' distance. What I'm saying is I don't think gps is that accurate. I've always thought if it got me a few feet from the waypoint it was doing pretty well.

I don’t have experience with the dji waypoints.. in litchi they’re pretty accurate.

Niki,
That's a possible solution. The surface I'm trying to fly over is water. It's basically a 6' wide flume that's full of water. I wondered if the low altitude plus water was messing it up.

Thanks

Niki,
That's a possible solution. The surface I'm trying to fly over is water. It's basically a 6' wide flume that's full of water. I wondered if the low altitude plus water was messing it up.

Thanks
Have you tried tripod mode?

You have been testing the flights offsite? Is there anything in the flume that might give you trouble? Lots of metal, rebar in concrete? That sort of thing?

I would say everything in the flume is trouble :)

It's a metal flume with metal cross bars every 5' and it's full of water.

I'm going to try to do some testing of the different flight modes so I'm familiar with them before I get in the field and need to use them

Reactions: bad karma
Well, you’re certainly setting a high bar! do post video when you get it if possible!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980