DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help for RID compliance, PLEASE

GGehret

Reactions
Can anyone PLEASE provide simple instructions for me to follow on how I can bring my drone and controller into RID compliance? Do BOTH need the upgrade or only the drone, or only the SC? IS it a firmware update, or will it be a physical module that I will need to buy and attach? I am very confused. I am just an occasional recreational flyer here in the boonies of upstate NY, but I still want to be "legal." I don't want to go fly my drone next September and find that it won't take off. :(

DJI has stated that their drones will be brought into compliance in time. Just that blanket statement with no qualifications. RID itself is still fluctuating in definition as well. There seem to be a lot of "ya-but's" coming from the FAA as the time approaches. Yes it is confusing. I don't perceive the whole mess to be finalized. It's kinda like the CBO thing for rec flying. There is one CBO now. Huge debate on what all the guidelines are and where one might find all of them. If RID is rolled out in a similar fashion, it could be a while past next September before any working system is available. How all that will be handled is anyone's guess.

You can check here if your drone has been accepted by the FAA for compliance: UAS Declaration of Compliance

Last edited:
Can anyone PLEASE provide simple instructions for me to follow on how I can bring my drone and controller into RID compliance? Do BOTH need the upgrade or only the drone, or only the SC? IS it a firmware update, or will it be a physical module that I will need to buy and attach? I am very confused. I am just an occasional recreational flyer here in the boonies of upstate NY, but I still want to be "legal." I don't want to go fly my drone next September and find that it won't take off. :(
To keep it simple, if your drone is listed on the FAA‘s DOC ( Declaration of Compliance) your Drone has all the capabilities for RID.
UAS Declaration of Compliance.
If your drone didn’t make the cut, you will have an AMOC (Alternate Means of Compliance), by purchasing a Module that attaches to your drone. If you search this forum using RID as your search topic, you will find answers to help you along the RID journey. You will have plenty of time to work it out.
B52-D😀

Reactions: mobilehomer
DJI has stated that their drones will be brought into compliance in time. Just that blanket statement with no qualifications. RID itself is still fluctuating in definition as well. There seem to be a lot of "ya-but's" coming from the FAA as the time approaches. Yes it is confusing. I don't perceive the whole mess to be finalized. It's kinda like the CBO thing for rec flying. There is one CBO now. Huge debate on what all the guidelines are and where one might find all of them. If RID is rolled out in a similar fashion, it could be a while past next September before any working system is available. How all that will be handled is anyone's guess.

You can check here if your drone has been accepted by the FAA for compliance: UAS Declaration of Compliance

To keep it simple, if your drone is listed on the FAA‘s DOC ( Declaration of Compliance) your Drone has all the capabilities for RID.
If your drone didn’t make the cut, you will have an AMOC (Alternate Means of Compliance), by purchasing a Module that attaches to your drone. If you search this forum using RID as your search topic, you will find answers to help you along the RID journey. You will have plenty of time to work it out.
B52-D😀

Thanks Unfortunately, my drone is a Mavic 2 pro and it's not on the list. :-( What a mess this all is and going to be. :-(

• Haha
Reactions: SmilingOgre
B52-D😀
So, I'm assuming then that DJI will not be providing firmware updates for my Mavic 2 pro and SC? I have not idea as to where to buy an RID module either, or hasn't anything been built yet? If not, I hope DJI gets on this asap. I'd rather buy one from DJI to make sure it's compatible with my specific drone that go to a 3rd party and take the chance it won't work. All of a sudden, flying my drone doesn't seem like as much fun anymore with all this compliance and update stuff happening. :-( THANKS for your help.

Reactions: Torque and B52-D
The ones on the list say what ones are already rid not saying yours or mine will not be updated before we need it. I have the zoom model like your and expect it will be
PLease correct me if I'm wrong. That list is based on NEWER models that have been or are being built with the RID included, not ones that have had it added to like our older models.

Reactions: Torque and maggior
PLease correct me if I'm wrong. That list is based on NEWER models that have been or are being built with the RID included, not ones that have had it added to like our older models.
Correct although,The DOC is a live document which needs to be viewed frequently for new additions.

Yes, thanks.
I have the original Mavic Mini, and I know it will never receive a DOC. My plan is to run out the calendar and upgrade my Mini to an Air 2 s or Mavic Mini 3 Pro before Sept 16th. I have heard rumblings about a Mavic Mini 4. Who knows. Whatever I buy will have Remote Id built in as I don’t want a module mole stuck on my drone adding wind resistance and weight.
Blue Skys and Happy Contrails ➿
B52-D

Attachments

• 1670525271059.png
    1670525271059.png
    297.2 KB · Views: 3
i think that whenever there are upcoming changes to the rules and regulations ,that govern how our drones ,will be able to fly legally in the future ,there is always going to be concerns and despair,how those changes ,are going to impact our hobby ,and rightly so ,many of us me included ,have invested considerable sums of money ,and a lot of time and effort ,so as to comply with upcoming changes ,only to find that in the fullness of time ,everything changes yet again,and we face more expense to continue to be in compliance
here in the UK our whole CAA rules and guidelines ,are going through a complete makeover
just as an example the rules on what VLOS means here in the UK, has been redefined and will make ,a lot of the flights, we have been used to doing ,fall outside of what the Legal definition of VLOS now means
it came into force yesterday on the 7th of December,as part of the changes
and as with all these things ,it will impact those unfortunate individuals ,who have not known,or not bothered to find out about such changes, if they find themselves being prosecuted ,because they did not comply with them

Reactions: B52-D
I have the original Mavic Mini, and I know it will never receive a DOC. My plan is to run out the calendar and upgrade my Mini to an Air 2 s or Mavic Mini 3 Pro before Sept 16th. I have heard rumblings about a Mavic Mini 4. Who knows. Whatever I buy will have Remote Id built in as I don’t want a module mole stuck on my drone adding wind resistance and weight.
Blue Skys and Happy Contrails ➿
B52-D
It has been my understanding that sub 250 g drones like the Mini will be exempt from the RID requirement, so you may not get that good excuse to upgrade.

It has been my understanding that sub 250 g drones like the Mini will be exempt from the RID requirement, so you may not get that good excuse to upgrade.
What is your source with regard to sub 250 Gs?

To be more accurate it is my understanding that for recreational flights with sub 250 g drones RID is not required, but that it would be required for commercial part 107 operation.

It seems to me that this was covered by Greg at Pilot Institute in one of his weekly briefings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
I fly commercial with the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. My commercial reg expires April 2023. At this current time I cannot renew registration for the M2P without inputting the RID tag. The Smart Controller software contains an RID section. Will DJI send a patch to make this RID active? As of April 2023 I am grounded until I can purchase an RID unit. It states in FAA rules I have until September 2023 to make my drone compliant. It appears there is no where to buy an RID unit at this time. So do we all have to purchase new drones? DJI are you working on a M2P RID patch?

My guess is that certain situations will create a level of non-compliance. There are other areas of contention that are now coming out with stricter laws, rules and regulations and my guess is that the majority of those that are affected will not comply and take the legal risks associated with non-compliance.

I fly commercial with the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. My commercial reg expires April 2023. At this current time I cannot renew registration for the M2P without inputting the RID tag. The Smart Controller software contains an RID section. Will DJI send a patch to make this RID active? As of April 2023 I am grounded until I can purchase an RID unit. It states in FAA rules I have until September 2023 to make my drone compliant. It appears there is no where to buy an RID unit at this time. So do we all have to purchase new drones? DJI are you working on a M2P RID patch?
This last Monday I renewed registration for 5 non-RID drones under Pt. 107 reg for my employer. No problem.

Look at the top of the renewal screen - you must answer “No” to the question “…is your UAS supplied with RID…”
Then, the RID serial number box will be grayed out, and you can complete your renewal, getting you to September 2023. I hold out some hope that the Mavic 2 series may yet receive a firmware update for RID. We’ll see. Otherwise, it will mean adding an external Broadcast Module for drones over 250g or any drone for Pt. 107 operations.

Attachments

• 2B64721A-90B2-485A-94A2-EBB81AB6BEB0.jpeg
    2B64721A-90B2-485A-94A2-EBB81AB6BEB0.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Reid937
My guess is that certain situations will create a level of non-compliance. There are other areas of contention that are now coming out with stricter laws, rules and regulations and my guess is that the majority of those that are affected will not comply and take the legal risks associated with non-compliance.
Good thoughts there vindibona, as always. I fly a mini2 commercially once or twice a month and I honestly don’t know how I’m going to comply with RID. I think DJI should design a compact unit which plugs into the C-port to be powered by the onboard flight battery, in case that’s possible.

After the deadline, how in the world is FAA going to enforce all this? It will take a few years for it all to settle in. I don’t mind complying. I just want to know how. I suspect that legacy drones won’t be fined, for awhile anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760