DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me understand flight record synching

Mothman

Reactions
In DJI Fly, I understand that in order to upload flight records to the DJI cloud, I need to enable auto-sync, which I've done.

If I, at a later time, delete a flight record from my app on my phone, am I understanding correctly that is actually deleting it from the cloud too?
Or is it only deleting it from the phone?

If I have 10 flight records listed on my app, auto-sync is enabled, and I delete 1 flight on the app... It now shows 9 flights, and the total distance and time in flight are reduced accordingly. Can I redownload that 10th flight from the cloud?

If I can't ever view it from the Fly app again, is there at least a way to view / access it from a computer.

I'm trying to figure out how it works as I assume there comes a point where people don't want a hundred flights taking up space on their phone...?

I avoid syncing so can not answer your actual questuon but i save the txt and DAT files to computer

Reactions: BroomRider
Here's what I know/what I do.
I don't know where/how you can view your flights in the DJI cloud, so I believe when you delete flights off of your phone, you cannot "resync" from the DJI cloud. However, there are 2 alternatives:
1) Save your .txt/.DAT files to computer (mentioned above), or
2) Create an account at Airdata.com where you can sync your flights (and view them) from the DJI cloud

I do #2 for a couple of reasons:
1) I like viewing/reviewing flight data
2) You can download/upload flight records if you like (Note: once you delete a flight from Airdata--and I have--you can't get it back)

I used the Airdata option to retrieve some flights when we recently had to downgrade/upgrade the app due to firmware incompatibility and it worked just fine. I haven't yet deleted any flights off my phone (DJI app) because the files are so small; however, I have deleted some of the photos that were downloaded from a flight (because I used the internal memory).
Hope that helps.

Reactions: DonDayan
Here's what I know/what I do.
I don't know where/how you can view your flights in the DJI cloud, so I believe when you delete flights off of your phone, you cannot "resync" from the DJI cloud. However, there are 2 alternatives:
1) Save your .txt/.DAT files to computer (mentioned above), or
2) Create an account at Airdata.com where you can sync your flights (and view them) from the DJI cloud

I do #2 for a couple of reasons:
1) I like viewing/reviewing flight data
2) You can download/upload flight records if you like (Note: once you delete a flight from Airdata--and I have--you can't get it back)

I used the Airdata option to retrieve some flights when we recently had to downgrade/upgrade the app due to firmware incompatibility and it worked just fine. I haven't yet deleted any flights off my phone (DJI app) because the files are so small; however, I have deleted some of the photos that were downloaded from a flight (because I used the internal memory).
Hope that helps.
I have checked out Airdata, and it seems like a good way to go.

So, for clarity... once a flight has been sync'd to Airdata, if I was to delete that flight from my app, it would still remain at Airdata, correct?

And, one more piece of my puzzle... if we can't retrieve records from the DJI Cloud, then what's the point of the DJI Cloud? (other than using it as a middle man to get the data to something like Airdata)

Last edited:
I have ch3cked out Airdata, and it seems like a good way to go.

So, for clarity... once a flight has been sync'd to Airdata, if I was to delete that flight from my app, it would still remain at Airdata, correct?

And, one more piece of my puzzle... if we can't retrieve records from the DJI Cloud, then what's the point of the DJI Cloud? (other than using it as a middle man to get the data to something like Airdata)
Same as any cloud... Storgae you don’t have to pay for or buy hardware for.

Same as any cloud... Storgae you don’t have to pay for or buy hardware for.
But storage for what,,,, if you can't access it?

I must be missing something... usually cloud storage would be so that I can delete the local copy but still access the cloud copy later, or so if I have a problem and lose the local copy (maybe I drop my phone in the lake), that I can access the cloud from a different device.

But if deleting the local copy also deletes the cloud copy, and if there's no way to access the cloud copy, then what's the point? Or is it DJI's intent that people will use third party apps like Airdata?

I have checked out Airdata, and it seems like a good way to go.

[yes]
And, one more piece of my puzzle... if we can't retrieve records from the DJI Cloud, then what's the point of the DJI Cloud?
[good question...and one I don't know the answer to (other than using it as a middle man to get the data to something like Airdata)]
Answers inserted above.

Reactions: Mothman
I went to delete a flight and accidentally deleted all my flights, (not sure how). When I asked on the forum I was told that if you did not sync your flight records you can not retrieve them. When I went to retrieve the records all my flights from early 2019 came back and all my flights after including 2020 were gone. The only thing I can think of is that flying my original Mavic Air I was storing in the internal storage, and those came back because they must have been automatically synced. So I lost all my flight records, time distance and everything else. I now have started over with the M2Z and syncing them.

Reactions: RRP1
It is true you can't view the logs stored in the cloud directly. However if you have multiple devices, logs you generated with device A and synced to the cloud will show up on device B that is also synced.

Deleting logs though or setting a limit on how far back to keep is a good question if that only affects what's local or is also removed from the cloud.

I flew today with my iPad to check out the attitude indicator. I'm not finding it is syncing with DJI.
I then used my Galaxy S20 FE to compare with version 1.2.1. The three 1 minute "flights" show the cloud icon, but the 4 minute one doesn't have the cloud icon. It's been hours with the apps running.

I don't understand why DJI took out manual syncing with showing its progress.

Reactions: Mothman
I distrust what DJI might do with my data; besides, I like to have access to it, if ever needed, so I created a folder on my local wired machine, & saved everything to that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu