DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Please - Choosing a Smartphone for a Mavic Pro Platinum

Tony Kiburis

Reactions
Hi,
I just unpacked my first drone, a Mavic Pro Platinum & need help choosing a good smartphone to operate it.
My background: Old fart ( 74 years young), computer literate (programmer/system analyst since 1966), but NOT Smartphone literate; in fact we only have a cheap Flip phone for emergencies. I want to get a Smartphone that operates well, can function using WIFI for downloading. Is this possible?

What I THINK I KNOW about the use of the smartphone is:
Downloads & operates the GJI GO app. (I know very little yet about the GJI Go app)
Displays the video feed from the drone's camera
One can download via the phone using either WIFI or Cell service (or your PC if not using the Smartphone)
WIFI downloading does not require a subscription service while Cell does (ATT&T, Verison, etc.)
Can operate "Other" apps that are helpful to the drone pilot (Is Geofencing a separate app or a part of GJI GO?)
DJI (on the outside of the Mavic box recommends using Apple 6 types of IPhones ( IPhone SE, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 6, 6s, 5s)

Here are some questions I'd like to get help on.
Is there any benefit if the Smartphone has the GPS function?
Does the GPS require Cell service when operating the drone outside of WIFI access?
How much Smartphone memory is needed to run any drone related apps (this smartphone will be for drone flying only - no pictures or phone calls, etc.)
Do I give up any functions/applications by not having Cell capability?

FYI, I looked at all of the Specs. for the 6 Smartphones DJI recommended & am leaning towards the IPhone 6s, it seems to have the best Specs at a reasonable price (used): 64 GB, unlocked, GPS, 1334 X 750 screen.

Any suggestions are welcome,
Tony

Personally, I'd skip the smartphone and buy a tablet. I'd also skip Apple; It's not necessary at all to pay the premium just to use the phone to fly with. Android works just fine, I've never had a problem. I'm using a Lenovo Tab4 -8 with 2gb ram and it works great. I paid only $60 for it refurbished and in new condition. You'll need an adapter to mount it in the RC, but the cost is minimal. My mount cost $10. I find it hard to fly with the small phone after using the tablet.

Personally, I'd skip the smartphone and buy a tablet. I'd also skip Apple; It's not necessary at all to pay the premium just to use the phone to fly with. Android works just fine, I've never had a problem. I'm using a Lenovo Tab4 -8 with 2gb ram and it works great. I paid only $60 for it refurbished and in new condition. You'll need an adapter to mount it in the RC, but the cost is minimal. My mount cost $10. I find it hard to fly with the small phone after using the tablet.
What about the issues I asked like: GPS-is it required to run the Mavic? WIFI vs Cell? Do I need cell service?
Thanks,
Tony

Many of purchased the Huawei Ascend XT2 last winter; Android phone with GPS, fast processor and good display.

They were being sold by AT&T (and others) as prepaid phones. I purchased one and loaded DJI GO 4 and have used it quite a bit without problems. I bought one for about $50USD and never activated it, just using the wifi to download apps/maps and built-in GPS as a drone interface by USB cable. Excellent battery life.

The Ascend XT2 is no longer offered by the prepaid companies but there are extensive threads on it (search the forum for ‘Wunderphone’)...but I still see them on eBay for around $80-90...or you may find a forum member that bought one and is willing to part with it - just post a WTB thread in the Classified section.

As far as tablets go I typically use an iPad Mini 4 (with wifi and cellular...and note the iPads must have a cellular modem to have the GPS module, just the way they offer them) which works best for my Part 107 operations, but tested the following cheap Android devices last winter with varying results:

Android device benchmarks
Geekbench 4

CPU tests:

Huawei Ascend XT2 (H1711) cellphone
Android 7.9
ARM Qualcomm CPU
2 processors; 1 with 4 cores @ 1.09GHz; 1 with 4 cores @ 1.40GHz
GPU Adreno 505
Resolution 729 x 1280
Display PPI 268
Single core score 650
Multi-core score 2887 (note- octacore processor)
Note: excellent for use with Mavic via USB/OTG cable

Huawei Sensa (H710VL) cellphone
Android 6.0.1
Single processor, eight cores; 4 @1.21 GHz, 4@ @ 1.50 GHz
GPU Adreno 405
Resolution 1080 x 1920
Display ppi 403
Single core score 613
Multi core score 1946 (note - octacore processor)
Note: slower than XT2 for drone operations, screen not as bright but useable. Current price around $90 USD.

Amazon Fire HD8 (Amazon KDFOW1)
Android 5.1.1
CPU ARM MT8163
1 processor, quad core; Base freq 1.30GHz
GPU Mali-T720
Resolution 800 x 1280
Display PPI 188
Single core score 618
Multi-core score 1685 (note - quadcore processor)
Note: Marginally adequate, not very bright screen but functional. Dec 2018 pricing around $80USD

Huawei MediaPad T3 (BG2-W09)
Android 6.0
CPU ARM MT8127
1 processor, Quad core
Base freq 1.30GHz
screen 600 x 1024
GPU Mali-450 MP
Display PPI 213
Single core score 288
Multi-core score 1288 (note - quadcore processor)
About equal as a drone display to the Amazon Fire HD8. Current price around $80 USD

RenderScript scores
Huawei Sensa 2420
Huawei XT2 1777
Fire HD8 1049
Huawei MediaPad T3 791

I’m sure there are other Android devices forum members have tested with success...

Fly safe!

GPS in the device is not required to fly a Mavic...but among other things it allows you to set a new home point if you have to move yourself to a different location while inflight for return to home...or work in the ‘Follow Me’ mode.

Hi,
I just unpacked my first drone, a Mavic Pro Platinum & need help choosing a good smartphone to operate it.
My background: Old fart ( 74 years young), computer literate (programmer/system analyst since 1966), but NOT Smartphone literate; in fact we only have a cheap Flip phone for emergencies. I want to get a Smartphone that operates well, can function using WIFI for downloading. Is this possible?

What I THINK I KNOW about the use of the smartphone is:
Downloads & operates the GJI GO app. (I know very little yet about the GJI Go app)
Displays the video feed from the drone's camera
One can download via the phone using either WIFI or Cell service (or your PC if not using the Smartphone)
WIFI downloading does not require a subscription service while Cell does (ATT&T, Verison, etc.)
Can operate "Other" apps that are helpful to the drone pilot (Is Geofencing a separate app or a part of GJI GO?)
DJI (on the outside of the Mavic box recommends using Apple 6 types of IPhones ( IPhone SE, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 6, 6s, 5s)

Here are some questions I'd like to get help on.
Is there any benefit if the Smartphone has the GPS function?
Does the GPS require Cell service when operating the drone outside of WIFI access?
How much Smartphone memory is needed to run any drone related apps (this smartphone will be for drone flying only - no pictures or phone calls, etc.)
Do I give up any functions/applications by not having Cell capability?

FYI, I looked at all of the Specs. for the 6 Smartphones DJI recommended & am leaning towards the IPhone 6s, it seems to have the best Specs at a reasonable price (used): 64 GB, unlocked, GPS, 1334 X 750 screen.

Any suggestions are welcome,
Tony
Well I second 53's recommendation, I have used smartphone and switched to Nexus 7 tablet (2013) and I am very pleased with performance. I got it from Craigslist cheap, uses Android 6.0, runs any app, but I have dedicated it to drone - so only essential apps. Also WIFI version (32g) is good enough as you can load maps and plan way-point flight at home. It has brightest screen and the best resolution 1920x1200 from the same size tablets and FITS to the remote! I see advantage of dedicated device in not worrying about pre-sets before the flight - it has one function - flight control. Some people swear by Ipad Mini 4, but I prefer more open system of Android. My experience so far was flawless with both apps DJI go4 and DJI Pilot. My take on some issues some people reporting with Android is that most (or all) are caused by conflicting apps or settings. KISS approach works every time..:cool:. Unfortunately this, now almost 6 yer old device is in my view still best android one so far, advantage is the price aound $200 new, but available for around 100 good used.
Geo fencing is built in DJI apps and updated regularly, however it is your responsibility to check actual air space you want to fly in. You need GPS function for safe operation and correct loading of the maps.
Hi-Res footage (lots of GB's) is stored on drone itself , best practice is after outing is to download everything to the computer and clear - get ready for the next one.
And BTW very similar background here - computer program high school 1964-.

Last edited:
Well I second 53's recommendation, I have used smartphone and switched to Nexus 7 tablet (2013) and I am very pleased with performance. I got it from Craigslist cheap, uses Android 6.0, runs any app, but I have dedicated it to drone - so only essential apps. Also WIFI version (32g) is good enough as you can load maps and plan way-point flight at home. It has brightest screen and the best resolution 1920x1200 from the same size tablets and FITS to the remote! I see advantage of dedicated device in not worrying about pre-sets before the flight - it has one function - flight control. Some people swear by Ipad Mini 4, but I prefer more open system of Android. My experience so far was flawless with both apps DJI go4 and DJI Pilot. My take on some issues some people reporting with Android is that most (or all) are caused by conflicting apps or settings. KISS approach works every time..:cool:. Unfortunately this, now almost 6 yer old device is in my view still best android one so far, advantage is the price aound $200 new, but available for around 100 good used.
Geo fencing is built in DJI apps and updated regularly, however it is your responsibility to check actual air space you want to fly in. You need GPS function for safe operation and correct loading of the maps.
Hi-Res footage (lots of GB's) is stored on drone itself , best practice is after outing is to download everything to the computer and clear - get ready for the next one.
And BTW very similar background here - computer program high school 1964-.
Hey Kazo,
Thanks for your input. I think I'll start out with an Android just to get experience.
Tony (IBM 1620, 7094, 7080, 1460, 1401, 360/Mod50, CDC3300)

Many of purchased the Huawei Ascend XT2 last winter; Android phone with GPS, fast processor and good display.

They were being sold by AT&T (and others) as prepaid phones. I purchased one and loaded DJI GO 4 and have used it quite a bit without problems. I bought one for about $50USD and never activated it, just using the wifi to download apps/maps and built-in GPS as a drone interface by USB cable. Excellent battery life.

The Ascend XT2 is no longer offered by the prepaid companies but there are extensive threads on it (search the forum for ‘Wunderphone’)...but I still see them on eBay for around $80-90...or you may find a forum member that bought one and is willing to part with it - just post a WTB thread in the Classified section.

As far as tablets go I typically use an iPad Mini 4 (with wifi and cellular...and note the iPads must have a cellular modem to have the GPS module, just the way they offer them) which works best for my Part 107 operations, but tested the following cheap Android devices last winter with varying results:

Android device benchmarks
Geekbench 4

CPU tests:

Huawei Ascend XT2 (H1711) cellphone
Android 7.9
ARM Qualcomm CPU
2 processors; 1 with 4 cores @ 1.09GHz; 1 with 4 cores @ 1.40GHz
GPU Adreno 505
Resolution 729 x 1280
Display PPI 268
Single core score 650
Multi-core score 2887 (note- octacore processor)
Note: excellent for use with Mavic via USB/OTG cable

Huawei Sensa (H710VL) cellphone
Android 6.0.1
Single processor, eight cores; 4 @1.21 GHz, 4@ @ 1.50 GHz
GPU Adreno 405
Resolution 1080 x 1920
Display ppi 403
Single core score 613
Multi core score 1946 (note - octacore processor)
Note: slower than XT2 for drone operations, screen not as bright but useable. Current price around $90 USD.

Amazon Fire HD8 (Amazon KDFOW1)
Android 5.1.1
CPU ARM MT8163
1 processor, quad core; Base freq 1.30GHz
GPU Mali-T720
Resolution 800 x 1280
Display PPI 188
Single core score 618
Multi-core score 1685 (note - quadcore processor)
Note: Marginally adequate, not very bright screen but functional. Dec 2018 pricing around $80USD

Huawei MediaPad T3 (BG2-W09)
Android 6.0
CPU ARM MT8127
1 processor, Quad core
Base freq 1.30GHz
screen 600 x 1024
GPU Mali-450 MP
Display PPI 213
Single core score 288
Multi-core score 1288 (note - quadcore processor)
About equal as a drone display to the Amazon Fire HD8. Current price around $80 USD

RenderScript scores
Huawei Sensa 2420
Huawei XT2 1777
Fire HD8 1049
Huawei MediaPad T3 791

I’m sure there are other Android devices forum members have tested with success...

Fly safe!
I think I'll start w/ the Huawei Ascend XT2 (H1711) cellphone. I saw it for $99.00. Sounds like a great starting point; tables later.
Thanks,
Tony

Absolutely, I agree with you about using a tablet. Personally I use the iPad mini 4 and it works great. Finding a mount that I like has been a different problem and after getting a couple that didn’t work out very well I finally found one that suits my needs. iPad mini is mounted in front of the controller and that’s where I prefer to have it.

I purchased my Mavic Pro Platinum used and it came with the Huawei Ascend XT2 (H1711) cellphone. It doesn't have any cell service so, I use the WiFi to download any updates and maps other than that it's on airplane mode with WiFi turned off when I fly. I can't complain, it's a good phone which is used exclusively for the MPP. I use the bottom USB connection which solved the RC charging the phone issue. On really bright days and with my eyes getting older it would be nice to have a little larger screen. If I had to go buy one I would probably go with a larger tablet but it really is a nice phone.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Personally I am an Apple guy from the beginning so my recommendation is the iPad mini 4 which is the latest and last version of the mini lineup. I use mine with my Mavic 2 Pro because of exactly what you said about using a phone of any type. The mini version fits the size of the M2P remote much better and the balance is very good. A phones screen simply isn’t big enough to use the touchscreen with the DJI GO 4 app.
But if you’re an Android user then there’s plenty of tablets out there to use with your Platinum remote control.
I also have a 9.7” 32gb iPad for my Inspire 2 because that remote control is a lot bigger so it can handle the larger version of iPad.
Well I hope I didn’t confuse you too much and good luck with your Platinum. There’s a lot of tutorials on YouTube that’ll help you get up in the air safely and confidently.
And for those bright sunny days of summer I recommend that you invest in a quality sunshade for whatever device you decide to get.
HAPPY FLYING MY FRIEND!! :))

Personally I am an Apple guy from the beginning so my recommendation is the iPad mini 4 which is the latest and last version of the mini lineup. I use mine with my Mavic 2 Pro because of exactly what you said about using a phone of any type. The mini version fits the size of the M2P remote much better and the balance is very good. A phones screen simply isn’t big enough to use the touchscreen with the DJI GO 4 app.
But if you’re an Android user then there’s plenty of tablets out there to use with your Platinum remote control.
I also have a 9.7” 32gb iPad for my Inspire 2 because that remote control is a lot bigger so it can handle the larger version of iPad.
Well I hope I didn’t confuse you too much and good luck with your Platinum. There’s a lot of tutorials on YouTube that’ll help you get up in the air safely and confidently.
And for those bright sunny days of summer I recommend that you invest in a quality sunshade for whatever device you decide to get.
HAPPY FLYING MY FRIEND!! :))
Thanks for your suggestions!
Tony

In my opinion, you should consider the brightness of the display when buying. There are plenty suggestion/recommendation in this topic but no one elaborate on how useful they are in day light, specially when it is sunny day. You may ended up with device which works great, no crashes, no disconnects but once you are outside in direct sun light all that is irrelevant because you cannot see anything on the device display. My advise is not to rush, read more what's posted on this forum, check Crystalsky sub-forums and then decide.

Dear Toronto,
Thank you your your thoughtful advice.
Being new to drones & not using smartphone all of my life, I have been doing a Metric Poop Ton of research this last week.
I have found YouTube as a great resource for learning about the equipment, software setup & flying tips for both the Mavic & the tablet I purchased.

Yes, I purchased a tablet yesterday. It is the Android based Samsung Galaxy Tab A w/ 32GB & 10.5" screen. Cost brand new $279.99 US.
It has a bright, high resolution screen (1920 X 1200), has GPS, & has a proven Operating System (Oreo).

Tip: Don't try purchasing this model (or anything) from BestBuy Online. They show it is available but after you start the Order Process you'll learn the warehouse is Out of Stock & my local stores (within 250 miles) are also out of stock. Trying to get a human being to help at BestBuy is a major pain.
They asked me if I had friends who could check availability around the country. I said, that's your job; your computer should be able to tell you what stores have it in stock. Nope, their programmers haven't got that ability.

I went to B&H Photographic in New York City who had it "In Stock" ordered it online. Got free shipping as well.
This is where I purchased the Mavic Pro Platinum on sale.

Again thank you & all the others on this Forum for sharing their thoughts about this problem.
I will give you all a Status Report after Christmas about this tablet.

All the best,
Tony

PS, I did check out Crystalsky & ruled against it.
Price & it was a dedicated drone device.
With the Samsung I can do other things, such as down load books.

Last edited:
I, last week, purchased a Mavic Platinum. Following the advice in this posting I purchased a Huwei Ascend XT2 H1711. When I connected it to the transmitter I received a message that th phone was charging from usb. The phone was at 78%charge so I aborted and charged the phone to 100%. After reconnecting to the transmitter I still received the charging from usb message. Is there a way to disable the charging from the transmitters battery?

Have you tried connecting the phone to the bottom USB port on the remote instead of the side?

In my opinion, you should consider the brightness of the display when buying. There are plenty suggestion/recommendation in this topic but no one elaborate on how useful they are in day light, specially when it is sunny day. You may ended up with device which works great, no crashes, no disconnects but once you are outside in direct sun light all that is irrelevant because you cannot see anything on the device display. My advise is not to rush, read more what's posted on this forum, check Crystalsky sub-forums and then decide.
The brightnes of the di splay is one of the main reasons i use a Samsung S8. I prefere to use the phone rather than a tablet as i find the tabet cumbersome and the bright S8 screen lets me see all i need. I also prefere Android to Apple.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50