DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Restricted Air Space can't fly

KittyHawk is now the LAANC vendor of choice for DJI. AirMap does have similar LAANC capabilities, but lost it seat as DJI’s “partner” of choice. That means KittyHawk will have the inside connection as DJI flight software evolves.
There are a lot of changes in procedures and methods going on.

Do any of the LAANC vendors apply for NON Part 107 pilots?
As I understand it 336 pilots only have DJIs self unlocking

LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability)
List of approved U.A.S. Service Supplier of LAANC as of 2019.04.30
Aeronyde
AirMap
Converge – NOT HTTPS://
Kittyhawk
Skyward
UASidekick

Here’s the page list of current LAANC providers from the FAA website:
I never ask DJI since they have different maps than anyone else among other things including AirMap granting real-time approval with one click after initial registration.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't want to be spreading false information and I apologize if have. I certainly respect the previous post. I really was just trying to help.

That said, I am not trying to start a debate on this but this is the based on a conversation I had with the supervising controller from McChord AFB. I explicitly told the controller that I was flying as a hobbyist, not part 107. What he told me is that the I should use the information in Visualize It as a guide for HIS area for where I can fly and I don't need to contact the tower in the future. I know this seems backwards, but Part 107 flights "seem" to have more restrictions than flight as a hobbyist in certain situations?

On Monday I plan on contacting McChord AFB again to ensure I heard him right. I don't get why he stated that is could fly in the future without contacting the tower when flying as a hobbyist. I CERTAINLY do NOT want to be breaking the law.

BTW: My first contact was not with the supervising controller, it was a controller that did not know about SSI airspace. When the supervisor came on line I could hear him training the first controller on how to use Visualize It for handling requests like mine.

I respect your attitude and willingness to learn. KUDOS to you!!

I would like to suggest you get anything like you mentioned above re:McChord AFB in writing because if there is an incident you don't want to buck falling in your lap. The mere fact he's telling you to use a "Guidance Tool" for Part 107 to help coordinate Hobby flights throws up all kinds of red flags for me. I think someone doesn't have all their wires going to the right contact and we have some miscommunication there. Understandable with the Patchwork of sUAS rules vs Guidelines etc.

Thank you! Yeah, it's really confusing. To me it seems as though Visualize It which is a FAA website could be used for both hobby and part 107 clearance to fly. Otherwise why have it (just a rhetorical question, not looking for an explanation)? That said, requesting a letter from McChord is indeed the proper way to CYA. I also want to fly in TIW airspace which is also class D and controlled by a tower. So I will be contacting them with a similar request. I'll post back when I have a better answer.

BTW: I have seen nowhere if you have overlapping Class D if you need to contact all control towers?

BTW: I have seen nowhere if you have overlapping Class D if you need to contact all control towers?
Without a doubt you would want both (all) parties to be playing from the same sheet of music.

Reactions: Thomas B
Without a doubt you would want both (all) parties to be playing from the same sheet of music.
That is what I thought. It is sooo much easier flying a manned aircraft as each sequence of contacts passes your information and intentions on to the next contact. Just messing around. :)

I have a Single Engine Land pilot's license and I take UAS and manned flights seriously.

Reactions: BigAl07

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard