DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! RTH Height not working correctly

SXViper03

Reactions
I set the RTH to 40 m (131 feet) but every time I try the RTH function my Mavic only rises to 9 m (30 feet). I tried turning the Mavic, controller and DJI app off and then back on but it didn't fix this. My max altitude is set to 119 m (393 feet) and I'm not in beginner mode. I also tried calibrating the compass and IMU which didn't correct the problem. Is there a glitch in the latest DJI app, a problem with my bird or is there something I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE : I believe it may be the Mavic isn't far enough away from the home point to go up to the set RTH height but the confusing part is it has gone up to the set height before when it was close to home.

Last edited:
If the Mavic is between 16’- 66’ from the home point it will ascend to only 32’ (if already lower than that) then come home. If higher it stays at that alt to home. If closer than 16’ it will land where it is.

Mike

Last edited:
If the Mavic is between 16’- 66’ from the home point it will ascend to only 32’ (if already higher than that) then come home. If lower it stays at that alt to home. If closer than 16’ it will land where it is.

Mike
Thanks Mike.....I just found that out.....the bizarre thing is it used to rise to the set height before when within 66'. I will have to take it out farther and give it another try.

Yes always a good idea to test it. I know I feel better knowing RTH is configured properly and working properly.

Mike

@SXViper03, if you need more help with this, check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Do not own on yet, but I do have a RTH question that hopefully can be answered here: Let’s say you are standing on one end of a 100 yard field and launch and properly establish your HP from that end of the field. You then walk to the other end of the field. From my new location, if I go into the DJI Go 4 app, and now choose the RC as my HP and establish the new HP, and use the RTH function on either the remote or the app to bring the drone down, will it come down at my new location where I am holding the RC?
I am assuming it will. But has anyone tried this, as described above, and had success?

Do not own on yet, but I do have a RTH question that hopefully can be answered here: Let’s say you are standing on one end of a 100 yard field and launch and properly establish your HP from that end of the field. You then walk to the other end of the field. From my new location, if I go into the DJI Go 4 app, and now choose the RC as my HP and establish the new HP, and use the RTH function on either the remote or the app to bring the drone down, will it come down at my new location where I am holding the RC?
Yes. The Mavic will always return to the last marked home point when RTH is initiated.

Thank you. And I did just find a video on YouTube where someone demonstrates exactly what I was asking about and, as you stated, it returned to the updated HP. Can’t wait to get mine.

I am assuming it will. But has anyone tried this, as described above, and had success?
I see you already have your answer so that’s good. But I just want to point out that you are not setting the home point to the RC directly. What you are actually doing is setting the home point to the location of the tablet or phone connected to the remote control. The RC doesn’t actually have GPS. You probably know that but just wanted to make it clear.

For example most of the time I fly with my WiFi-only iPad mini 4. Ergo I cannot set the home point to “me.” But I can set the home point to the aircraft. So in your example I would simply fly the Mavic to where I want to set as home point, and set it. But most of the time I would actually land, set the home point, then take off with precision home. recorded. Not necessary but I am deligent about home point in case RTH is needed due to signal loss.

Mike

Assuming that it has enough battery to do so.
True. And there are lots of other scenarios where the aircraft might not be able to return home. However, my comment was in reply to @Rick0504N's question above about which home point would be used.

True. And there are lots of other scenarios where the aircraft might not be able to return home. However, my comment was in reply to @Rick0504N's question above about which home point would be used.
I would never argue with you Mike because I respect you too much! But even in that scenario......

I would never argue with you Mike because I respect you too much! But even in that scenario......
No worries. I was simply clarifying in case I've confused anyone else.

I have now found that the RTH topic has been beaten to death on YouTube and discussion boards. However, I have to ask Mike a question related to his example above. If I were to use my iPhone with GPS, as opposed to a WiFi iPad, I would be able to update my HP to the RC and hit the RTH button and have the AC come to me without manually flying it overhead to me, correct? (Assuming adequate battery, etc)

I have now found that the RTH topic has been beaten to death on YouTube and discussion boards. However, I have to ask Mike a question related to his example above. If I were to use my iPhone with GPS, as opposed to a WiFi iPad, I would be able to update my HP to the RC and hit the RTH button and have the AC come to me without manually flying it overhead to me, correct? (Assuming adequate battery, etc)
Yes, absolutely. Just be sure that where you are standing, and a good 5'-10' radius around it, is actually a safe place to land. Also check the map in Go4 to verify HP is correct, to be really safe.

Mike

Thanks Mike.....I just found that out.....the bizarre thing is it used to rise to the set height before when within 66'. I will have to take it out farther and give it another try.
Do you get this problem resolved? I’m having the exact problem. It just comes home at the height I’m at when I hit RTH. It use to go up not anymore

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov