DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help - Smart controller black screen

JackM

Reactions
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help I have a smart controller that will charge and turn on but the screen stays completely black. It was working and connecting fine and hasn't been dropped or anything since last use, also have left overnight for charge.

Tried to reset by holding in power button for 10 seconds and also the button combination for factory reset, both to no avail. Connecting to a mac with dji assistant 2 also does not work. Couldn't find any threads with the same issue but hoping someone has a solution before contacting DJI.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

When you have it connected to the charger do the 4 led lights blink in secession rabidly?

If you just press and release the power button do the 4 leds light?

When you hold the power button for a second and release do the 4 leds light up and remain on?

Hi TampaTC. Answers to your questions are no, yes and yes. Additional context on my version of this problem:

- behavior is sporadic. i'm relatively new to this Smart Controller, but it behaved properly for about a dozen flights, but then (of course when I was in a hurry to get up and look at a whale offshore) this problem surfaced and took me a couple power cycle + reconnect cycles to get working again. Then it was fine for a few sessions, and yesterday it went into persistent fail.

- when it fails, there is no change in the connect protocol (with my Mavic 2 Zoom). it doesn't appear to matter whether I power up the drone first or the controller. Initial connect is normal, going through firmware version check (all up to date). Then I press GO and hold my breath.

- in fail mode, screen is black from video feed, but overlay controls are visible and active. all available controls work fine... and I can take pictures and video (which I verify by going into the library), but I can't see where the camera is pointing on-screen.

Does this all make sense? I still have all all controls set to default 2. I was really hoping there was some magic "kill video feed" button combo I hit by accident... :/

1st day with the Smart Controller. When this happened to me, I assumed it was an overzealous power save. Nothing seemed to wake the screen until I hit the power button - voila!

So, it seems, the power button serves as the sleep screen / wake screen when pressed momentarily (not holding). To reduce this annoyance, go to your settings (swipe down on screen) / display / sleep and increase from default 1 minute - or just remember to hit power when your screen blacks out.

If this isn't your problem, then I have something to learn or avoid yet...

On another note, I did experience an oddity this evening. I intentionally slept screen (power button single press) while I was downloading an update. The device started beeping every 2 seconds (not connected to drone), so I click power to wake and beeping stops. Then I click power to sleep screen again. One time this happened and when I single clicked power it shutdown. There are probably other power settings which say when to power down from sleep - guessing that timeout occurred as I delayed waking it that last time...

Reactions: Sanderling
1st day with the Smart Controller. When this happened to me, I assumed it was an overzealous power save. Nothing seemed to wake the screen until I hit the power button - voila!

So, it seems, the power button serves as the sleep screen / wake screen when pressed momentarily (not holding). To reduce this annoyance, go to your settings (swipe down on screen) / display / sleep and increase from default 1 minute - or just remember to hit power when your screen blacks out.

On another note, I did experience an oddity this evening. I intentionally slept screen (power button single press) while I was downloading an update. The device started beeping every 2 seconds (not connected to drone), so I click power to wake and beeping stops. Then I click power to sleep screen again. One time this happened and when I single clicked power it shutdown. There are probably other power settings which say when to power down from sleep - guessing that timeout occurred as I delayed waking it that last time...

Thanks, but its not a screen sleep issue. All of the overlay controls on the screen are visible and active, its the video feed from the drone that is at issue. Found some suggestions on the Mavic forum, will give those a try.

Thanks, but its not a screen sleep issue. All of the overlay controls on the screen are visible and active, its the video feed from the drone that is at issue. Found some suggestions on the Mavic forum, will give those a try.
I had same problem. Go into camera settings and reset camera.

So glad to see this! I thought my controller had turned off, but I restarted it (I must have just woken it up) and it was still connected. Whew! I bet this is what happened.

I am having a similar problem to the original poster. I have used the Smart Controller for many months without issue. Flew 3 days ago with no problems. Battery is fully charged. When I turn on the controller now I get nothing on the screen.... completely black. The normal press then press/hold will not turn it off either. If I hold the power button down for maybe 10 seconds it turns off. DJI Assistant on my Mac won't recognize the controller. Changed cables and tried Assistant with the drone and it worked fine. Have tried the power button, C1/2, shutter press trick and get the blue light plus never ending beeps. Any ideas are much appreciated.

7/28/21 - Just purchased the new Air 2S with Fly More Combo (SMART Controller). After my first day of flying today, 5 minutes into it, I get the BLACK Screen (NO Flight View) that everyone talks about. All other icons on screen are visible but the same level of control seemed inhibited. I entered a ticket with DJI but wondered if any Mavic Pilot has found a solution to what appears to be a known issue with the SMART (not so Smart, old technology) Controller? Thanks for your reply.

I purchased the M2z with FlyMore kit day or release. I later bought a M2p frame and “M2Pro camera“ and assembled it. I took A leap of faith and traded my M2 RC Controller for a Smart Controller and have no regrets. I have never experienced the “black screen” and love the short time to fly setup provided by the SC.

Recently, I purchased a Mini2 worth FlyMore Combo and after updating the Mini2 and SC to latest software, im able to switch between all 3 (M2p, M2z, and Mini2) without issue.

I don’t know what makes my setup different than those with issues… I do not update all the time, but when I do, I’ve had no issues. Many are Over The Air updates, but have used the DJI Assistant app fore wired a few times. The most rec3nt update to support my Mini2, I accidentally left the 64GB microSD card in the SC during UTA update via WiFi. Normally I remove it prior to updates. No issues. Just FYI.

The SC’s screen brightness and convenience by far makes for a satisfied customer in my book.

I am having a similar problem to the original poster. I have used the Smart Controller for many months without issue. Flew 3 days ago with no problems. Battery is fully charged. When I turn on the controller now I get nothing on the screen.... completely black. The normal press then press/hold will not turn it off either. If I hold the power button down for maybe 10 seconds it turns off. DJI Assistant on my Mac won't recognize the controller. Changed cables and tried Assistant with the drone and it worked fine. Have tried the power button, C1/2, shutter press trick and get the blue light plus never ending beeps. Any ideas are much appreciated.
I am having this same issue. After many hours searching threads and youtube you are the only person I've found that has the same issue I do. Only difference is that I haven't even flown my drone yet. It was updating software, went black and the screen never came back on. I get lights and can power off and on but nothing on the screen at all. It also won't connect to the DJI Assistant through a phone or PC. Did you ever get yours going? If so, how? Is there a way to factory reset just by hitting a combo of buttons if I can't get to the screen to scroll any menus? This is so frustrating. I've had this thing 2 days and spent about 5 hours trying to get it going and haven't been able to get it off the ground and now this with the screen.

Try this:
  1. Ensure the device is powered off.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons.
  3. Continue to hold Volume Up and Power buttons until the Android Recovery screen appears (about 10-15 seconds) then release both buttons. ...
  4. From the Android Recovery screen, select Wipe data/factory reset. ...
  5. Select Yes.

I am having this same issue. After many hours searching threads and youtube you are the only person I've found that has the same issue I do. Only difference is that I haven't even flown my drone yet. It was updating software, went black and the screen never came back on. I get lights and can power off and on but nothing on the screen at all. It also won't connect to the DJI Assistant through a phone or PC. Did you ever get yours going? If so, how? Is there a way to factory reset just by hitting a combo of buttons if I can't get to the screen to scroll any menus? This is so frustrating. I've had this thing 2 days and spent about 5 hours trying to get it going and haven't been able to get it off the ground and now this with the screen.
Did you ever solve this issue? I have the problem. less that 6 flights

Did you ever solve this issue? I have the problem. less that 6 flights

It was suggested in another forum:
"SOLUTION: Connect to charger with a known good cable while holding power button down for 15 seconds and the custom button underneath."
no. that doesnt do anything expect turn it off. screen stays black, on or off.

I'm having the same issue (purchased this unit used); 4 white LEDs and one red LED come on when power button is pressed, released then long pressed. Screen does absolutely nothing. It worked fine until I tried to update, it told me my battery was at 10% but that it needed at least 20% to perform the update. Update was not started. I powered down the controller, charged it and it would not power back up after this. The LED lights still come on (blink while charging and solid when "on") but the controller screen does nothing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7