DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with mavic pro photo quality

E

Excellent advice, using a stack of bracketed shots and combining them in an HDR.
You mention Luminance and De-Haze sliders... do you happen to know where those settings are in the Photoshop 'Camera Raw Filter' menu? I'm sure they exist, I just don't know what they are called in PS.
It's in Camera RAW on my Photoshop CC. I've only used it in LR but I just looked and it is in PS RAW. Its under the tab FX.

My biggest gripe with photography on a mavic is the very very poor auto focus. Manually focusing is difficult on something that often moves around and you're trying to do it on a little screen, perhaps with image transmission artifacts.

Surely somebody somewhere could reverse engineer and offer a drop in camera upgrade

Dear All

I recently bought a mavic pro and took some photos in auto mode but I'm very disappointed with photos quality. Below are some samples from mavic pro photos. Any suggestion for improve photos quality. Photos taken in RAW and use AF. Is something wrong with my settings or maybe camera problem?

View attachment 18045 View attachment 18046 View attachment 18047
The biggest problem with these photos is that they are very boring - horizon in the middle, dull sky taking up half the frame etc.

The thing about the Mavic is that it will never blow you away with its image qualities but it does allow you to create great content.

The Best Drone Photos of the Year

These NG shots IQ isn't that good but the photos are.

Get that camera pointing straight down and look at the patterns...

Reactions: Navigator and BenM
Since you have Lightroom, in the Developer Module find the auto adjust: Dehaze; that should help.

As mentioned earlier, use the 5 shot AEB and make a HDR pic.. Also since you are using Lightroom, I would raise my color noise slider to 30-35 and the luminance noise slider to 40-50. I also play around with the dehaze slider, usually somewhere in the 10-15 area.
I think your pictures like fine, that just need some of the mentioned adjustments and maybe a little increase in the shadow areas. Here is one I took last night. I only use the Mavic for pictures.
Im just loving this photo

Reactions: Memphis_Mavic
As mentioned earlier, use the 5 shot AEB and make a HDR pic.. Also since you are using Lightroom, I would raise my color noise slider to 30-35 and the luminance noise slider to 40-50. I also play around with the dehaze slider, usually somewhere in the 10-15 area.
I think your pictures like fine, that just need some of the mentioned adjustments and maybe a little increase in the shadow areas. Here is one I took last night. I only use the Mavic for pictures.

This picture is fantastic. I am struggling with pictures and video. They are either grainy or over exposed. Not sure what to do I am not real knowledgeable, and have a hard time understanding all of the settings. What program are using in post, and where do u start on the mavic? Thanks

Hi!

Navigator your RAW photos are ok.
Few problems you have there:

Too far away so details got eaten by lack of pixels/resolution.

These 3 photos are mostly facing towards sea so you have huge surfaces of blue. Sky and sea. Sky is reflected in water, water reflects it back and there is blue tone everywhere. Consider that in post production of raw images and compensate with WB correction or HSL sliders in Lightroom.

You shoot these photos in midday I suppose considering almost no shadows or short shadows.
In the middle of the summer and the brightest part of the day you cannot expect good results. Taht is why most of outdoor film/video or photo productions are shot during spring and early summer.
Also try to avoid midday.

Having small mobile phone size senzor on Mavic you have to more atention to light.

ND filters are not only for video.

ND filters are usefull photograpich tool, ESPECIALLY on cameras like Mavics that dont have the ability to meter light good enough but it makes compromise between highlights and shadows exposure.

It will prevent highlights to burn, especialy on these kind of shots, and YES it will lower the shutter speed, BUT considering that Mavic has f1/2.8 aperture, wide open f-stop, during summer and bright days shutte speed goes to extremly high speed.

Longer exposure means more color quality in images. More saturated and deeper colors beause there is more time to get light information.
Also for shooting landscape photos where difference between sky and land can be more than 5EV stops ND filters help to have less burned out sky.

Camera exposure algorithm "see" in black and white, using 18% gray as reference (for example color of skin in black and white) so sometimes you have to cheat. In example if you have lots of dark surfaces in frame and few that are much brighter those few will burn, or the other way around where dark subjects in mosty bright surroundings wil be underexposed.

USE HISTOGRAM, and EV numbers.

Learn photography. And remember cameras are dumb tools. YOU must lear how to use them.
Learn about the light, colors and things that make photography.
Having camera or camera drone and being able to take photos does not mean that you know how to take good photos.
Time of day is important, season is important, quality of light, understanding how stupid camera meter is important.

Know your gear and learn about the light.

Hi!

Navigator your RAW photos are ok.
Few problems you have there:

Too far away so details got eaten by lack of pixels/resolution.

These 3 photos are mostly facing towards sea so you have huge surfaces of blue. Sky and sea. Sky is reflected in water, water reflects it back and there is blue tone everywhere. Consider that in post production of raw images and compensate with WB correction or HSL sliders in Lightroom.

You shoot these photos in midday I suppose considering almost no shadows or short shadows.
In the middle of the summer and the brightest part of the day you cannot expect good results. Taht is why most of outdoor film/video or photo productions are shot during spring and early summer.
Also try to avoid midday.

Having small mobile phone size senzor on Mavic you have to more atention to light.

ND filters are not only for video.

ND filters are usefull photograpich tool, ESPECIALLY on cameras like Mavics that dont have the ability to meter light good enough but it makes compromise between highlights and shadows exposure.

It will prevent highlights to burn, especialy on these kind of shots, and YES it will lower the shutter speed, BUT considering that Mavic has f1/2.8 aperture, wide open f-stop, during summer and bright days shutte speed goes to extremly high speed.

Longer exposure means more color quality in images. More saturated and deeper colors beause there is more time to get light information.
Also for shooting landscape photos where difference between sky and land can be more than 5EV stops ND filters help to have less burned out sky.

Camera exposure algorithm "see" in black and white, using 18% gray as reference (for example color of skin in black and white) so sometimes you have to cheat. In example if you have lots of dark surfaces in frame and few that are much brighter those few will burn, or the other way around where dark subjects in mosty bright surroundings wil be underexposed.

USE HISTOGRAM, and EV numbers.

Learn photography. And remember cameras are dumb tools. YOU must lear how to use them.
Learn about the light, colors and things that make photography.
Having camera or camera drone and being able to take photos does not mean that you know how to take good photos.
Time of day is important, season is important, quality of light, understanding how stupid camera meter is important.

Know your gear and learn about the light.

Perfectly stated!
166b313f1e3d7fa4cbe4a1a050d85057.jpg

Reactions: Navigator and crnee
While I appreciate all of the info, not sure if you are talking to me. I have not ever posted pics here or anywhere. I know I have a lot to learn as my images would not be the greatest. That being said I will definitely take all the info and help I can get. Cheers

Dear All

I recently bought a mavic pro and took some photos in auto mode but I'm very disappointed with photos quality. Below are some samples from mavic pro photos. Any suggestion for improve photos quality. Photos taken in RAW and use AF. Is something wrong with my settings or maybe camera problem?

View attachment 18045 View attachment 18046 View attachment 18047
Not for nothing...... but your photos are 10X better than the crap i get out of mine !

Reactions: Navigator
This picture is fantastic. I am struggling with pictures and video. They are either grainy or over exposed. Not sure what to do I am not real knowledgeable, and have a hard time understanding all of the settings. What program are using in post, and where do u start on the mavic? Thanks

I am in a simillar boat....... baby boomer, no computer skills, have yet to take a usable photo with my mavic and unable to view ANY video taken with it !

I'm using Light Room CC. Just try and get it exposed as properly as you can from the Mavic. I touch the screen to acquire focus and then adjust the exposure with the wheel on the right of the controller to my liking. Sometimes I underexpose and others I go a little over, judgement call. Once I import the pics into LR, I start my edit with the 5 pics and do a HDR edit. From that point it really is just moving the exposure, contrast, sharpening, dehaze sliders. Good luck.

Hard for me to look at IPhone screen in summer light & adjust camera so I rely on histogram & bracket 3 shots per scene.
d683277c17c74849249690a8e94ffdca.jpg

Reactions: Scarab69

Actually thats completely and utterly incorrect. An ND filter has absolutely no effect on light metering or balancing shadows and highlights. It has absolutely no effect on dynamic range. None. Not a bit.

An ND prevents light entering meaning you need a slower shutter speed (or higher iso). This is fine for video. For stills it makes no difference. The mavic is more than capable of selecting a shutter speed high enough to balance an exposure without a filter to help it. Even in direct, bright desert sunshine in the middle of summer the mavic has shutter speeds more than enough to work.
NDs are for video only. It seems you don't really know what they do as you've made several physically incorrect statements there.

Reactions: Navigator
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS