DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help, Writing Thesis on Drones w/ Concertation on Cyber Security

S13.

Reactions
Hello All,

I'll try my best to keep this brief to not boring to death.

Firstly, this is the first forum I've signed up for, so I'm not entirely familiar with the typical protocols for communication here, but I am sure that is a bridge I will cross when I get there. I completed my undergraduate in STEM and am currently pursuing a Master's in Transportation Engineering with a thesis track. I'm interested in doing it on the cybersecurity issues related to drones for my thesis.

I have a background in internships as a data scientist, undergrad, and graduate research assistant, and I have been, a Security Analyst for about five months. My ultimate goal, post-Masters, is a position as a Security Engineer, although I'm also okay with continuing as an analyst for the next couple of years if needed.

I've reviewed a few articles in places like Google Scholar but haven't yet found a specific focus for my thesis. Ultimately, I'm hoping for recommendations from people in this industry on feasible thesis projects that would ideally align with my career goals.

@S13. please do let us all know if you do actually find any cybersecurity issues relating to drones
proven ones ,not the made up ones,that seem to be doing the rounds these days

I would look at how data in the cloud is being secured. If a company is doing surveying and their data is being stored in the cloud, then you would want to look at how the data is being sent up, how it's being secured, and how it's being accessed.

For Mavic, until quite recently you had the option of having telemetry data being collected by DJI. You may want to contact the people at AirData (Learn More About Airdata UAV) to see how they are managing it.

I would look at how data in the cloud is being secured. If a company is doing surveying and their data is being stored in the cloud, then you would want to look at how the data is being sent up, how it's being secured, and how it's being accessed.

For Mavic, until quite recently you had the option of having telemetry data being collected by DJI. You may want to contact the people at AirData (Learn More About Airdata UAV) to see how they are managing it.
I'll look into that, thanks

Uum wouldn't the early steps be to contact the manufacturers, ask them what is transmitted and when & how it is transmitted then verify in a lab whether or not those statements are met ? I.e. look at the emissions from the equipment, the range of those transmissions and the connection method e.g. wifi, bluetooth, .. whatever.

The current problems seem to be due to claims being made with little to no evidence being presented to back those claims up.

Reactions: old man mavic
National Security is obviously a focus but attention must be focused on other obvious intrusions by a hostile country gathering intelligence. Things like balloons the size of a school bus transitioning coast to coast gathering intelligence. Better yet, a hostile country (China) purchasing land next to some of this country’s most secure installations and absolutely no concern shown by our inept government. China has full blown intelligence gathering operations on going in the U.S. and has for decades. Last but not least, estimated 47,000 CCP illegals that have crossed snd continue to cross our borders with impunity; “no threat there”, says our government. Yep my drones are a threat though!

National Security is obviously a focus but attention must be focused on other obvious intrusions by a hostile country gathering intelligence. Things like balloons the size of a school bus transitioning coast to coast gathering intelligence. Better yet, a hostile country (China) purchasing land next to some of this country’s most secure installations and absolutely no concern shown by our inept government. China has full blown intelligence gathering operations on going in the U.S. and has for decades. Last but not least, estimated 47,000 CCP illegals that have crossed snd continue to cross our borders with impunity; “no threat there”, says our government. Yep my drones are a threat though!
How do you know that this statement is true "absolutely no concern shown by our inept government." One way to penetrate an enemy target is to let your enemy set up their network and to be a part of the network to discover the extensiveness of the network, its strengths and vulnerabilities. Remember, one can only be expected to perform to the level that one practices.

Yes, a portion of the border crossers pose a threat. I wonder how many people want to cross into Russia, North Korea, and Iran? We have won and we continue to win the hearts and minds, hearts and minds.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ffolliet