DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here is my first attempt at editing...

attzonko

Reactions
Ok after a few flights with my Mavic I decided to take whatever footage I have acquired so far and make a montage of my favorite shots. Please take a look would love to hear your critique, ideas, and thoughts. I shot at 1080p 24 frames per second, ISO 100, 1/50 shutter speed. I also used the Cinematic mode with -1,-1,-1. I am shying away from 4K because of the computing and storage requirements (just not there yet). In post I applied the CInelike-D to Rec.709 LUT from Ground Control, and tweaked a few other settings.

Thanks!

How come you went for 24fps rather than 30 ... wouldn't that give you slightly smoother video (not that it doesn't look good anyway)

How come you went for 24fps rather than 30 ... wouldn't that give you slightly smoother video (not that it doesn't look good anyway)

I used 24fps so that I can use 1/50 shutter speed. I have seen and read a few places that said you should try and use shutter speed which is double your frame rate. To be honest I am not sure if doing 30fps and 1/60 would be better or worse. I'll have to try it out and see. I also thought movies are generally shot at 24fps for some motion blur reason. I am still a newb and learning. Also, I thought, The higher fps allows you to be able to slow down the video in post but I was not planning on doing that.

I used 24fps so that I can use 1/50 shutter speed. I have seen and read a few places that said you should try and use shutter speed which is double your frame rate. To be honest I am not sure if doing 30fps and 1/60 would be better or worse. I'll have to try it out and see. I also thought movies are generally shot at 24fps for some motion blur reason. I am still a newb and learning. Also, I thought, The higher fps allows you to be able to slow down the video in post but I was not planning on doing that.

If you are doing 24fps, double the shutter speed would be 48 not 1/50. I use 30 fps and 60 shutter (not 1/60). I personally like the look of using 30 fps better. If you think your project needs more motion blur, you can always add it in post. I forgot to mention using 2x shudder speed makes the video look better. You can see it the clips that it is a little bit over exposed also...

If you are doing 24fps, double the shutter speed would be 48 not 1/50. I use 30 fps and 60 shutter (not 1/60). I personally like the look of using 30 fps better. If you think your project needs more motion blur, you can always add it in post. I forgot to mention using 2x shudder speed makes the video look better. You can see it the clips that it is a little bit over exposed also...

Sorry if my wording was wrong.. I thought that when you select 50 or 60, what that meant is that the shutter will be open for 1/50s and 1/60s, hence I was writing 1/50. I guess my goal is to let less light in by using 50 vs 60. Since the aperture is fixed at 2.2, shutter speed and ISO is the only way to affect the exposure.

As for 24x2 = 48, I agree but I don't think 48 is an option, so closest is 50. I read somewhere that adding motion blur in post is not the best option.

I will try your suggestions and shoot at 30fps and 60 to see the effect.

24 FPS and 1/50th shutter work great and give you more cinematic look plus you get same bitrate on 24 and 30 FPS so 24 will have less compression. There is a matter of exposure. I use Nd 32 when it's sunny.

Reactions: attzonko
24 FPS and 1/50th shutter work great and give you more cinematic look plus you get same bitrate on 24 and 30 FPS so 24 will have less compression. There is a matter of exposure. I use Nd 32 when it's sunny.

Yeah I wanted to pick up an ND32 and maybe ND64. Where or which brand did you get?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife