DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here's a "sound" idea that should work.

Mavhawk

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro, but I've also been shooting regular video for quite a while. I'm not an expert but I've had a lot of experience with it. Now that we have so much advanced software and/or very robust software for video editing, things have changed incredibly over the pat 20 years or so. I'm using a higher end program called Adobe Premier Pro, but even the cheaper, less robust programs, are amazing and have a lot of amazing features. I can only speak for Premier Pro on this, but I'm able now to shoot, say, a live band with one camera or more and not only sync the two videos together, in sync, but I can also sync a "separate" audio track I make on a stand alone recorder, like Zoom H6, with the video. The trick is when you start the camera and the external recorder, just clap your hands, and you put a sync point on both the recorder and video. I've actually done this and it works. You sync the two together using the clap sound on the editing timeline in your editor. Once that's done, you can make any cuts, or dissolves, or whatever you want. Well, "hey, boys and girls", why couldn't we do the same with drone footage. What I'm thinking here is something like, maybe setting a recorder near a lake with chirping frogs and birds and stuff, in order to have clear ambient audio of the lake while you fly around and shoot video. Then you just sync it later. In most cases, you probably wouldn't even need to sync it together, and you'd still have really clear audio for your nature video. The other cool thing you might do is get a parabolic audio reflector and use that instead. They've got some pretty good ones out now for sale. I've looked at them, and they're not too cheap, but of course there's different sizes at different prices. The last scenereo here, is you might be able to just run the external audio output back into your phone or iPad. When I try all this, I'll put together a little video and put it on you tube or somewhere. Thanks for your time. Marc Trainor.

Reactions: Drone on
Well recording additional audio and mixing it in is kinda standard...
With drones you typically don't want to sync it since drones sound pretty awful amd cover just about anything else might be interesting around, so you precisely record stuff when NOT flying.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
You do realise they’ve been using clapper boards forever when shooting movies for this very reason :)
Yep. They also start the sound recording with the video information that is written on the board so they can properly join them together. But, since most of do not carry around a clapper board with us the OP does offer a solution that is very workable.

... I'm able now to shoot, say, a live band with one camera or more...
Recording a band should have many built-in visual cues to sync the video to the sound but a drone would be a poor choice to use for recording. Live bands imply a crowd that you cannot (should not) be flying over or near. I saw a video of a confetti cannon sending a drone down into the first few rows of people. Lawyers start salivating when they see that.

You also might have the issue of perspective and context.
If you're flying low, then separately recorded nature sounds would fit. But if you're viewing a scene taken 400ft up, then the sound of a gentle brook or frog at the same volume may seem out of place.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Recording a band should have many built-in visual cues to sync the video to the sound but a drone would be a poor choice to use for recording. Live bands imply a crowd that you cannot (should not) be flying over or near. I saw a video of a confetti cannon sending a drone down into the first few rows of people. Lawyers start salivating when they see that.
Yes...but think how well the screams will synch with the video!

Yep. They also start the sound recording with the video information that is written on the board so they can properly join them together. But, since most of do not carry around a clapper board with us the OP does offer a solution that is very workable.
Well it is an idea, though it is an idea as old as film and movie making. When you have no clapper board, with you, you then "Clap Your Hands", duhhh, hence the word clap in there! This is all old standard operating procedure for anyone making movies, videos and is about as enlightening a statement as saying... before you go out flying, be sure to insert a card in your camera/drone to be sure to capture your images.

However, we all appreciate his offering of help in case some remote film maker never thought of such things.

I actually meant to just use my band idea as what I've actually done with "regular" video cameras. I totally agree with you, it could be a heck of a risk flying right over the audience, ....however, a friend of mine worked on the sound crew of a local TV station, and he said they used a drone once in that fashion, but I still think it would be really risky.

You also might have the issue of perspective and context.
If you're flying low, then separately recorded nature sounds would fit. But if you're viewing a scene taken 400ft up, then the sound of a gentle brook or frog at the same volume may seem out of place.
Very intuitive. I have to agree. It would be out of place unless you were really low to the waters edge. Gee, I wish I had a Mavic 2 zoom. Thanks for the comment. Marc.

Thanks for all the above replies. I'm pleased but not surprised that there are so many sophisticated and often times real professional shooters out there, who already know all this dubbing stuff. These are very intuitive comments, and I'm thankful for that. I really meant the post to go to the un-initiated or possibly newer, less experienced in the area of video. I'm really gad what Mossiback said about flying over an audience. Bad idea, unless you have plenty of money for lawyers, or better yet tons of insurance and a really, really reliable drone you'd be willing to trust. Personally, I'd be afraid to try it even then. Marc.

I have a Mavic Pro, but I've also been shooting regular video for quite a while. I'm not an expert but I've had a lot of experience with it. Now that we have so much advanced software and/or very robust software for video editing, things have changed incredibly over the pat 20 years or so. I'm using a higher end program called Adobe Premier Pro, but even the cheaper, less robust programs, are amazing and have a lot of amazing features. I can only speak for Premier Pro on this, but I'm able now to shoot, say, a live band with one camera or more and not only sync the two videos together, in sync, but I can also sync a "separate" audio track I make on a stand alone recorder, like Zoom H6, with the video. The trick is when you start the camera and the external recorder, just clap your hands, and you put a sync point on both the recorder and video. I've actually done this and it works. You sync the two together using the clap sound on the editing timeline in your editor. Once that's done, you can make any cuts, or dissolves, or whatever you want. Well, "hey, boys and girls", why couldn't we do the same with drone footage. What I'm thinking here is something like, maybe setting a recorder near a lake with chirping frogs and birds and stuff, in order to have clear ambient audio of the lake while you fly around and shoot video. Then you just sync it later. In most cases, you probably wouldn't even need to sync it together, and you'd still have really clear audio for your nature video. The other cool thing you might do is get a parabolic audio reflector and use that instead. They've got some pretty good ones out now for sale. I've looked at them, and they're not too cheap, but of course there's different sizes at different prices. The last scenereo here, is you might be able to just run the external audio output back into your phone or iPad. When I try all this, I'll put together a little video and put it on you tube or somewhere. Thanks for your time. Marc Trainor.
There are YT videos on the clapping technique. The link below is from the channel iCeline. watch at minute 1:15

Is this what you are referring to?

There are YT videos on the clapping technique. The link below is from the channel iCeline. watch at minute 1:15

Is this what you are referring to?
I love your video. It's fun, refreshing, and informative. Yea, that's what I'm talking about. It's nice that you showed and explained it on a real video so anyone who's not had experience with this could understand what's going on. I'm wondering what country your from. It's very pretty. I'm in San Diego, California, USA. and I have to go way outside of town to find any open area like this that allows you to fly drones. Thanks for the post. Marc Trainor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green