DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here's my first attempt at a night time hyperlapse.

AND a special night time waiver from the FAA. 107 alone is not enough as from what I have read.
Recreational pilots only need lighting on the drone. No waiver.
Miss that part on the 107 test? Perfect example of a Part 107 thinking he has more rights than a hobbyist. When in this case part 107 has LESS freedom.

From another site;
Although flying at night is perfectly legal for an amateur enthusiast, the commercial operator that elects to fly at night for recreational purposes puts himself in a delicate position.
If flying an aircraft that has commercial registration there may be some technicality that might hang you. If your log book shows that all the flights made with that aircraft up to then were for commercial purposes the noose might get a little tighter. That may be a good reason to clearly define the type of flights in your log book. Under no circumstances can you initiate a flight for commercial purposes and change mid flight to a recreational purpose, so if a commercial flight starts near the end of legal daylight you can't suddenly flip to recreational flight to finish out the flight after the legal daylight clock ran out. If any photos or videos obtained during a night flight were to show up somewhere that provided any kind of consideration with your name attached to them, that lacked a night waiver to have permitted obtaining them, the price could be very high.
Not saying not to do it but use caution and plan appropriately before you do. You never know when some fine, upstanding law enforcement type that's home for the evening might get perturbed and walk over to collect your information for transfer to the FAA at the start of the morning shift. The FAA loves technicalities. Night flying is a lot of fun;)

You input is absolutely correct.
I echo the sentiment!

For non-107s, slap some stobes on and go.

For 107s, $50~100 on-line certified course, (1 each of RED, GREEN, WHITE) strobes, and CoW s 1) Daylight waiver, 2) over people waiver, 3) BLOS waiver, 4) Airspace CoA (possibly) at least 6 months in advance to FAA, resubmit 3 or 4 times (not knowing exactly what the FAA wants), hope the job is still waiting, insurance, multiple VOs (strategically placed with communications), hope like hell the customer likes the product so a reshoot is not necessary.

For a non-107, it was a great night.

AND a special night time waiver from the FAA. 107 alone is not enough as from what I have read.
Recreational pilots only need lighting on the drone. No waiver.

Miss that part on the 107 test? Perfect example of a Part 107 thinking he has more rights than a hobbyist. When in this case part 107 has LESS freedom.

From another site;
Although flying at night is perfectly legal for an amateur enthusiast, the commercial operator that elects to fly at night for recreational purposes puts himself in a delicate position.
If flying an aircraft that has commercial registration there may be some technicality that might hang you. If your log book shows that all the flights made with that aircraft up to then were for commercial purposes the noose might get a little tighter. That may be a good reason to clearly define the type of flights in your log book. Under no circumstances can you initiate a flight for commercial purposes and change mid flight to a recreational purpose, so if a commercial flight starts near the end of legal daylight you can't suddenly flip to recreational flight to finish out the flight after the legal daylight clock ran out. If any photos or videos obtained during a night flight were to show up somewhere that provided any kind of consideration with your name attached to them, that lacked a night waiver to have permitted obtaining them, the price could be very high.
Not saying not to do it but use caution and plan appropriately before you do. You never know when some fine, upstanding law enforcement type that's home for the evening might get perturbed and walk over to collect your information for transfer to the FAA at the start of the morning shift. The FAA loves technicalities. Night flying is a lot of fun;)
I read that the FAA rarely approves night waivers for commercial drone pilots (107)? A web site said they disapproved 90 percent of request from commerical pilots. is that true? If it is, then something is wrong with the system. Seems it should be more easily allowed for commercial pilots.

I read that the FAA rarely approves night waivers for commercial drone pilots (107)? A web site said they disapproved 90 percent of request from commerical pilots. is that true? If it is, then something is wrong with the system. Seems it should be more easily allowed for commercial pilots.

I can say that it does take a few times, but I got mine. You just have to be VERY detailed on safety measures/precautions and other things.

Great video, what is the song you used with the video, I have heard it before and can't remember the name?

Nice hyperlapse and this thread answered a question I've had for a while. If you have your Part-107, do you forever give up the ability to fly as a recreational pilot? It appears not. I have my Part-107 and have a lot of flight hours. But, 90% are not for any kind of commercial use or pay. I've been wondering about my pilot type/flight designation when I'm just flying around for fun. It's good to know I can call myself a recreational pilot under those circumstances. I'll be sure to mark my logs as such from now on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54