DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HEXacopter

swings16

Reactions
And i do mean...HEX

flipping through the net this morning and came upon THIS...

fasten your seat belts

get ready for a WILD..LUCKY (that no one was injured or killed) front row seat into stupidity and yet another example of people giving our wonderful sport a NEGATIVE reputation which in turn fires up the ANTI attitude about these fantastic machines ...btw..2 balmy degrees here in NYC...i know we aren't the only ones..be careful out there (the northeast)...this weather + wind can kill...i came close last night ! Be safe out there for all in the area of this POLAR VORTEX !!!

Good post, thank you.
Anyone watching this and has not realized it yet - wind velocity and direction varies greatly at a different altitude. That is how hot air balloon pilots "steer" where they want (try to ) to go.
When you are standing on your deck and there is no wind at all but you look up and the clouds are racing across the sky would be a great example. Sometimes two layers of clouds move in different direction.
Second: This hex copter had an external unprotected lithium-polymer (li-po) battery pack.
When an RC toy crash and the impact squash the battery pack, especially the end where the 3-4 layers of cells are soldered, it can and will short the battery. When that happens li-po batteries puff up and will vent out hot gas with flames!
How do I know that? I crashed my helicopters in my learning curve many times, one time it started a small grass fire. Fortunately, because it was a helicopter i've flown it no more than 100 feet from me and could get to it quickly. Second: the Texas summer heat killed all the grass and there was not much of it.

Edit: fixed many typos, there may be more : ) oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougBlueSkies
Haha, differing wind speed/direction at different heights. This clown didn’t even grasp the fact that clouds are made of water droplets. Did he have any thought at all as to what else might be flying a kilometre high in the sky above the clouds?
I reckon the spinning GoPro after crash landing was the “floating’ lens capacity of the inbody stabilisation being trashed on impact.lol

Last edited:
I've seen this video before and think about it a lot when I'm flying in airplanes :-(

I enjoyed reading his posted text information on this Youtube page. He appears to have learned the lessons, if his post is sincere. I've done some stupid stuff in my day, and hope to not be judged by my biggest stupid moves.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keith Milligan