DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi everyone, Just got a DJI air 2s. Drone not centered in map view.

Bsnyder

Reactions
Hi everyone, just got a dji air 2s, and was flying it this morning for the first time, and it flew really good. But I had a problem of keeping the drone icon centered in the little map, so most of the time I could not see the drone. When I went to the full view of the map I could see it, but when switching back to the live view could not see the drone on the map, is there a way to center the drone icon on the map. Thanks for your help

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
you are keeping the drone within sight at all times right?

You know it is illegal not to have your drone within visible line of sight at all times right?

Following it on a screen or map and not having it where you can PHYSICALLY SEE IT is a huge no no

The map can be put full screen if needed as in it takes off on you and you need to see the flight track to try to get it back

Thanks for your reply, the drone was not far away, I had been flying a mavic pro before and if the drone got off the map I would go to the large view like you said then when I changed back to the live view it would be centered on the little map. With the pro I was using a iPad mini 4. With the air 2s I am using a Samsung galaxy 20fe, wonder if that is effecting the map view. I put the phone in airplane mode last night, had no map but could always see the drone and how to get back.
Thanks for your help

Reactions: Joao Vgs
Thanks for your reply, the drone was not far away, I had been flying a mavic pro before and if the drone got off the map I would go to the large view like you said then when I changed back to the live view it would be centered on the little map. With the pro I was using a iPad mini 4. With the air 2s I am using a Samsung galaxy 20fe, wonder if that is effecting the map view. I put the phone in airplane mode last night, had no map but could always see the drone and how to get back.
Thanks for your help
No map in the lower left corner? Even on my Air2 with a wi-fi only tablet, I still have the map - I just don't regularly use it unless I lose track of the drone while videoing and it ducks behind some tree limbs. Never had an issue using the map to fly back close to homepoint with the tablet or my phone in airplane mode.

Hi everyone, just got a dji air 2s, and was flying it this morning for the first time, and it flew really good. But I had a problem of keeping the drone icon centered in the little map, so most of the time I could not see the drone. When I went to the full view of the map I could see it, but when switching back to the live view could not see the drone on the map, is there a way to center the drone icon on the map. Thanks for your help
I think losing the drone center in the map is from not having a good GPS signal. This causes the app not to be sure where it's exact location is. I think I have seen this when I am in atti mode (no gps). It's rare. Make sure the GPS signal is good. Even on your phone.

I want thank everyone for responding, if I criticed or need correction it will not stop from asking questions, this group has great knowledge and I will keep asking until someone answers my question. That will help me become a better drone pilot and as we respectfully respond to one another it will make us become better people.
Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Sady
The OP is talking about not seeing it in the App - something i noticed to be a bug in the Fly App with Air 2S as well. It seems the app is lagging to update drone location on the Fly app.

Never had that problem with DJI GO 4 - but does seem to be a problem with displaying the drone on the map in the Fly App with Air 2S.

The OP is talking about not seeing it in the App - something i noticed to be a bug in the Fly App with Air 2S as well. It seems the app is lagging to update drone location on the Fly app.

Never had that problem with DJI GO 4 - but does seem to be a problem with displaying the drone on the map in the Fly App with Air 2S.
I just bought an air2s a month ago. I have no issues with the app. It functions just as it did with my mini and mavic air 2. Sorry to here about others having a problem with it.

It does this with my setup too, I'm flying the Air2s with the standard controller and a Samsung Tab S7 which is a higher end tablet. Here's a short video depicting what happens. Someone in another thread suggested putting the "+" on but that did not seem to help.

It does this with my setup too, I'm flying the Air2s with the standard controller and a Samsung Tab S7 which is a higher end tablet. Here's a short video depicting what happens. Someone in another thread suggested putting the "+" on but that did not seem to help.
Maybe uninstalling / installed the FlyApp.

Maybe uninstalling / installed the FlyApp.
I guess anything is possible but I've installed new versions of fly many times with this same behavior. Otherwise the app runs flawlessly and has never crashed. Perhaps I'll try it with my old Galaxy S7e phone and see if it does the same thing. From the comments it seems this happens to some users but not all, I really wonder if it's dependent upon the device used or perhaps some other setting.

I guess anything is possible but I've installed new versions of fly many times with this same behavior. Otherwise the app runs flawlessly and has never crashed. Perhaps I'll try it with my old Galaxy S7e phone and see if it does the same thing. From the comments it seems this happens to some users but not all, I really wonder if it's dependent upon the device used or perhaps some other setting.
Some tablets / phones have issues - no matter if high end or latest and greatest. Key question truly is - is your phone / tablet on DJI's approved list.

Simply installing new versions over old ones may not fix the problem. A "clean" install and not over an older version may help. It may not - but don't know until you try it.

As others have stated - map / compass view is kind of a moot problem if the drone is in line of sight. Sure, it helps in orientation if you're not quite sure of it's heading; but like RTH - to me more of a failsafe and not an everyday thing to use. As long as it is pointing you in the right direction and can get the drone home to you and not use RTH - just a small bug maybe DJI will or will not look at.

Have you contacted DJI Tech Support about it? If not, then maybe a good idea. Since they don't seem to monitor this forum or others, they will never know user experiences unless contacted directly. They may have a fix and help you correct it.

Some tablets / phones have issues - no matter if high end or latest and greatest. Key question truly is - is your phone / tablet on DJI's approved list.

Simply installing new versions over old ones may not fix the problem. A "clean" install and not over an older version may help. It may not - but don't know until you try it.

As others have stated - map / compass view is kind of a moot problem if the drone is in line of sight. Sure, it helps in orientation if you're not quite sure of it's heading; but like RTH - to me more of a failsafe and not an everyday thing to use. As long as it is pointing you in the right direction and can get the drone home to you and not use RTH - just a small bug maybe DJI will or will not look at.

Have you contacted DJI Tech Support about it? If not, then maybe a good idea. Since they don't seem to monitor this forum or others, they will never know user experiences unless contacted directly. They may have a fix and help you correct it.
Actually my tablet is not on the list... I don't see really any android tablets officially approved and as you said DJI may be totally unaware so I'll send them a message.

It's not a huge problem but even with line of sight it can be extremely useful in populated areas to determine what's directly underneath your drone without having to point the camera down while doing orbits or other cinematic maneuvers. I'm well aware it's not dead accurate so I also leave a large buffer between something like a busy road when flying. It can also be really useful when trying to position yourself over a specific location like the middle of a lake and be able to glance down at the map while traveling to see if you're there yet.

I haven't used RTH except ones just to see if it worked... it's amazing how with experience how much more confident flying becomes and even if you lose sight of your drone momentarily you're always aware of where it is and what's around it. The map and compass as you said are just another level of security in making sure you're able to get your drone back should you need those aids.

I'm going to contact DJI now and see what they say.

I'm seeing similar behavior on my Air 2S. It seems to be a latency issue with the screen not updating quickly in response to the drone moving. There's a similar latency issue with the controller position icon (blue dot.)

I'm guessing they changed the refresh rate in the new version of the software, possibly trying to free up processor time. @robwas, if you haven't already contacted DJI, you might mention the controller position lag, too. Thanks.

I'm seeing similar behavior on my Air 2S. It seems to be a latency issue with the screen not updating quickly in response to the drone moving. There's a similar latency issue with the controller position icon (blue dot.)

I'm guessing they changed the refresh rate in the new version of the software, possibly trying to free up processor time. @robwas, if you haven't already contacted DJI, you might mention the controller position lag, too. Thanks.
I did contact DJI and the response was to make sure I'm in a clear area for good gps signal. I tried that along with waiting plenty of time to acquire a signal and it didn't improve the behavior. It's not a huge deal but it would be nice if it moved the map along with the drone a little better at higher speeds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost