DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High profile drone crash in Berlin, Germany

Maybe I will be in the minority here but I think the confiscation of the drone is, in general, quite an apt punishment for a collision into a structure in a no fly zone.
No, you are not alone at all. IMO if they are locals, they should be aware of local law and abide by it - or bear the consequences. If they were tourists, they should be checking local laws in the places they are visiting before taking any footage, whether with a camera or a drone. There really is no excuse.

I just checked if there was a DJI zone there. Unfortunately not zoned as authorization or restricted.

It is in an enhanced warning zone for type restricted airspace.

I`m not sure why all the hate for some dude crashing into the building, I know the site there and it`s not a no fly zone in DJI Fly and for us most apps are very hit and miss when it comes to where you can fly or not in europe, yes they should fine him but not "make an example" it`s just a dude flying a mini in a place where he saw no restrictions let`s not demonize him and besides I always see the difference between Europe and USA when it comes to what the law is trying to achieve, we try to teach people not bankrupt them.

It comes down to location and timing. The night they flew was the 4th anniversary of a terror attack at that location and there had been a memorial ceremony earlier at 8:02 PM, the same time that the terrorist killed 12 people.

I totally agree. Confiscation is the UAS is probably the least of their problems and rightfully so.

I don't know the regulations on that side of the pond but I genuinely hope the penalties add up like they do on this side. I genuinely hope they charge them with everything possible to make an example out of them.
The rules were in flux, with some major changes in 2020:

Pandemic has probably delayed the timeline but the general idea is, you get registered in one EU country and the registration would be valid in all EU countries.

In general though, I would think no-fly not just around the church but anywhere in the city center of big cities like Berlin.

There are no flight restrictions around that area and the mini qualifies under the 250 gram rule, so no license required. It mentioned that in the article to.

Drone crashes into iconic Berlin church ruins - The Frontier Post

BERLIN (dpa): A drone crashed into the bell tower of Berlin’s Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church early Sunday, a police spokesman said.

The Memorial Church was built between 1891 to 1895. After its destruction in World War II, the tower was deliberately left as a ruin.

Two men were attempting to capture footage of the landmark – set at Berlin’s Breitscheidplatz square, the scene of a deadly truck attack several years ago – when their unmanned aircraft collided with the bell tower and got wedged into its facade.

“The drone apparently had a weak battery and got stuck in the Eiermann facade,” the spokesman said, referring to Egon Eiermann, the architect in charge of the church’s post-War reconstruction.

Firefighters were able to remove the drone after a two-hour operation that involved the use of a cherry picker. There is a no-fly zone around the church, but the men – aged 27 and 31 – claimed not to have known this. The drone has been confiscated.
Not saying that what the drone pilots did was okay, but in all seriousness... how much damage could a Mini possibly cause?!

Not saying that what the drone pilots did was okay, but in all seriousness... how much damage could a Mini possibly cause?!
Actual damage by the drone was unknown. There was a real cost for the responders to come in take it down. Then there is the insensitivity of the pilot to be flying over a site where a memorial ceremony for a terrorist act had been held a few hours earlier.

Actual damage by the drone was unknown. There was a real cost for the responders to come in take it down. Then there is the insensitivity of the pilot to be flying over a site where a memorial ceremony for a terrorist act had been held a few hours earlier.
Definitely wasn't condoning the pilot's decision to fly there!

Definitely wasn't condoning the pilot's decision to fly there!
Totally got that point. My point was the costs of the incident were more than just possible damage caused by the drone itself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000