DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High velocity warning

macoman

Reactions
I am wondering if I can lose my mavic pro when I see the warning of high velocity and then it warning you to be careful. I sometimes get nervous because I fly over water most of the time and the winds are only 11mph.

Check UAV Forecast first before flying and then change the Wind Elevation parameter from ground level to 100 feet . See what the wind is like . Then change it to 200 feet . See what the wind is like. 300 Feet check. 400 Feet . Check.

Then you will have a mental picture of what wind levels are at the different "tier" of altitude.

Use the tools that are available (UAVForecast) to be better prepared.

Then if you get wind warnings and suspect that your craft is drifting immediately click into Sport Mode. You will have lots more RPM on the props available and the angle of attack (pitch) will be increased on the Mavic.

This will give you a fighting chance.

A good number of instances reported where the Mavic was lost to wind related to drift were when the Mavic was left in P-Mode and could not make forward progress towards the Home Point.

I think I receive that warning every time I fly, but that's because I chase sailing boats (you can check out my shots or videos at #sailsonswan). The warning is annoying. I figure if the wind is less than say 25 knots, then the drone has a chance. As the reader above said, put it in sport mode. And if you get in strife go low, the wind is much less nearer the ground/water.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic and unop
Check UAV Forecast first before flying and then change the Wind Elevation parameter from ground level to 100 feet . See what the wind is like . Then change it to 200 feet . See what the wind is like. 300 Feet check. 400 Feet . .

At least on my version of UAV Forecast at the bottom of the screen there is an arrow pointing up. If you tap that it will bring up a winds aloft screen showing speeds at various altitudes and saving you from having to reset your base altitude several times.

Reactions: Thomas B and BD0G
I've found that UAV Forecast almost always is way off. The ground wind is usually ok, but the winds aloft often are stooped off.

I get nervous as well. Two weeks ago I was on an Island in Thailand, had litchi all programmed to fly to the other side of the island and go about 1500m off shore then take some photos. On the way over at 500m, the ground speed was 11km/h. There was no way to get the photos any other way, sun was at the correct location, just had to take the chance. 20 minutes later it was back on the ground, where it took off.

The last photo was the next day, manually flying it 4085m away to get the whole island. Had to flip into Sports mode to get it back, landed with 6min remaining. My recovery option was to land it on a remote beach and walk down to get it.IMG_20190310_205610_486.jpegIMG_20190310_205255_270.jpegIMG_20190310_205428_811.jpegIMG_20190308_184242_487.jpeg

Well done Mark! Stunning! Sometimes the risk is worth the reward. I like that you also had a bail out plan in case you ran into a low battery situation.

Wish more flyers adopted this mentality. You planned for the worst.

Well actually (upon more pondering) , you planned for the worst if you have drone insurance as worst case scenario is a plunge into that beautiful water.

Reactions: J-Dog and Madmax229
Well done Mark! Stunning! Sometimes the risk is worth the reward. I like that you also had a bail out plan in case you ran into a low battery situation.

Well actually (upon more pondering) , you planned for the worst if you have drone insurance as worst case scenario is a plunge into that beautiful water.
Well, if you took a dump in the ocean and had insurance, that would be one thing, but where are your great pictures? on your SD card in the biles of your drone at the bottom of the deep blue. Hence, you lose all the way around.

Reactions: Mark.brindle
I don't have insurance. I am a licensed PPL and Drone pilot. Drone insurance is very hard to get in Australia or the initial claim amount is so high it's not worth it.

I'm not rich, but if I loose it, I'll be upset but at least I tried to get a different shot.

Yep, photos on are on the SD card, so I would loose them as well, which would be upsetting if the 256GB card was getting full.

Flying over a beach is not allowed and gets boring quickly. I purchased the drone to take photos of places I can't lug my DSLR too.

In Thailand 2 weeks ago, There was a guy flying MP 2 just around a beach where there were lots of people and the noise was offensive. Getting it offshore and higher also stops people whining!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3