DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Highway Bridge Inspection Strategy

ElCapitanBill

Reactions
I have been asked to perform a highway bridge inspection under the bridge.

1. If for some reason I lose GPS satellites, what will happen to my drone. Will the vision only system take over and the drone continue to respond to my actions?

2. If for some reason I lose the signal from my controller to the drone while under the bridge, I expect the drone to rise to the RTH height setting. I assume that I could set the RTH height to a value between the water level and the underside of the bridge, after having launched from a point with no obstructions at this height from the bridge.

Your thoughts on these 2 items would be appreciated.

If for some reason I lose GPS satellites, what will happen to my drone
If GPS health drops below a threshold, the flight controller switches into ATTI mode. Depending on ambient light and surrounding surface(s), OPTI mode might take over, but:
the drone continue to respond to my actions?
Yes it will. Be advised flying in ATTI mode is tricky if you are not used to it.
The Mavic series of aircraft do not have a dedicated ATTI mode switch as the Phantom, Inspire or Matrice series.

If for some reason I lose the signal from my controller to the drone while under the bridge, I expect the drone to rise to the RTH height setting
It depends what your 'signal lost' settings are. Use 'Hover' instead of RTH.

Be careful when SmartBattery action kicks in! That definitely engages RTH. (and rises the aircraft to the RTH height set prior flight unless you are prepared to cancel it)

Good luck.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15