DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hit 33,087 feet in my Mini today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiiingwonderz

Reactions
I must say I’m amazed by the Magic Mini’s range! I flew it 33,087 feet alongside Lake Okeechobee, FL today. That’s 6.266 miles, 10,085 meters and 10.08 kilometers.

I wound up landing it next to the bike path and walked 5 miles to get it. When I got to it, the battery was completely dead, so the “beeping and flashing” option did not work. I’m thinking about putting some filet mignon juice on the drone just before the flight so my dog Boone, a Foxhound, can help me retrieve it on future suicide flights. ?

Attachments

• 4A81FB8C-FB8F-41C5-8C31-3BFA8C010151.png
    4A81FB8C-FB8F-41C5-8C31-3BFA8C010151.png
    8 MB · Views: 322
  • DB9AC962-F845-45DE-A609-430565B0E9A9.jpeg
    DB9AC962-F845-45DE-A609-430565B0E9A9.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 313
  • 3A62AB43-8B72-4F85-88F0-083EF13DB0F8.jpeg
    3A62AB43-8B72-4F85-88F0-083EF13DB0F8.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 299
I must say I’m amazed by the Magic Mini’s range! I flew it 33,087 feet alongside Lake Okeechobee, FL today. That’s 6.266 miles, 10,085 meters and 10.08 kilometers.

I wound up landing it next to the bike path and walked 5 miles to get it. When I got to it, the battery was completely dead, so the “beeping and flashing” option did not work. I’m thinking about putting some filet mignon juice on the drone just before the flight so my dog Boone, a Foxhound, can help me retrieve it on future suicide flights. ?
Try this for finding downed drones...sounds a tone for hours and keeps flashing.

Try this for finding downed drones...sounds a tone for hours and keeps flashing.
Thanks for the link but that's a lot of dough for some LEDs! I have a Whistle Go Explore that I use for tracking my dog that I've successfully velcroed to the top of my drone. It's a GPS tracker that works over AT&T's 4G LTE's network but also has a pretty good LED light on it that I can control with my iPhone. Just not sure how much it will affect the speed, power, maneuverability, etc. of the MM...

**** that's impressive! Furthest I've gone from my take off zone was 13,000ft. 2500ft of that distance was past the shoreline and over the ocean. I feel I could have pushed it further however I was concerned with battery life and bringing it back to the LZ. Think I've also got a video of that flight. Might post it later

I read a lot in these forums about how the bad FAA makes up those terrible rules against droners....and flying that far is the reason why!
You may know the area well, but others read this and think they can do the same,,,sometimes with disastrous results.
If everyone flew by the rules, the FAA wouldn't have to come down on us so hard.
Of course there are those who do not abide by the rules...and there's the problem!
If you insist on breaking the rules, don't post it!
Fly Safe

Filet mignon! Your dogs on a better diet than I am ? great idea ?

• Haha
Reactions: Flynz
I read a lot in these forums about how the bad FAA makes up those terrible rules against droners....and flying that far is the reason why!
You may know the area well, but others read this and think they can do the same,,,sometimes with disastrous results.
If everyone flew by the rules, the FAA wouldn't have to come down on us so hard.
Of course there are those who do not abide by the rules...and there's the problem!
If you insist on breaking the rules, don't post it!
Fly Safe
Shame on you guys for jumping to conclusions and falsely accusing me of breaking the law. I had the drone in sight the entire time with my Vector 23 binocular. I don’t fly anywhere without it.

Shame on you guys for jumping to conclusions and falsely accusing me of breaking the law. I had the drone in sight the entire time with my Vector 23 binocular. I don’t fly anywhere without it.

Not sure if it's the same where you are but in Canada you must fly VLOS. The visual must be unaided except by eye glasses so no binoculars or telescopes..

Regs are the same here in canada. I do believe unless you have a human spotter with you. Could be wrong on that but not 100%

VLOS in FAA documents means unaided VLOS, ie you can see the drone with your naked eye ( other than corrective lens glasses).

I agree. Anything they say can and will be used against the Drone community.
Threads like this one don't help.
The feds clearly aren't worried about a 8.78 ounce drone. That is why you don't even have to register it. It's widely accepted that a drone this small and light poses little to no risk to the public. They're worried about much larger drones that weigh many many pounds.

With that said, you and the other drone nazis should take to Youtube where hundreds of drone videos are posted everyday with irrefutable proof that the pilot did not maintain VLOS. Going after someone who's flying an 8 ounce toy over Lake Okeechobee where there are ZERO people anywhere even close to the drone is pretty silly.

The feds clearly aren't worried about a 8.78 ounce drone. That is why you don't even have to register it. It's widely accepted that a drone this small and light poses little to no risk to the public. They're worried about much larger drones that weigh many many pounds.

With that said, you and the other drone nazis should take to Youtube where hundreds of drone videos are posted everyday with irrefutable proof that the pilot did not maintain VLOS. Going after someone who's flying an 8 ounce toy over Lake Okeechobee where there are ZERO people anywhere even close to the drone is pretty silly.

The LEA have used YT quite often to get evidence to prosecute criminals.

Reactions: Scooped
The LEA have used YT quite often to get evidence to prosecute criminals.
There are hundreds of videos posted each and every day where the evidence the pilot didn't maintain VLOS is right there in the video itself. So why doesn't LEA prosecute all those drone pilots on Youtube? It's because they have better things to do with their time. Too bad you guys don't. ?

There are hundreds of videos posted each and every day where the evidence the pilot didn't maintain VLOS is right there in the video itself. So why doesn't LEA prosecute all those drone pilots on Youtube? It's because they have better things to do with their time. Too bad you guys don't. ?
Your right they don't often but when they do, they usually go after some exceptional cases to make an example of so that others are discouraged from doing so.

Your right they don't often but when they do, they usually go after some exceptional cases to make an example of so that others are discouraged from doing so.
Yep but this would be far from an exceptional case. A guy and his dog having fun with an 8oz toy over Lake Okeechobee without a person in sight.

C’mon guys. Find something better to do with your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d