DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HLG DEFINITIVE EDITING GUIDE?

Reactions
Hello!!

I am starting to use HLG in my m3pro and i am not a color grading expert for dlogm.

Just wondering for people who use and do some editing after what params you recommend to adjust?

I applied the dji lut dlog m to some hlg videos and looks great but for another hlg videos i have didnt work very well. HLG needs deep edit adjusment(lut or manual) or is similar to normal in terms of adjusment?

Other question is for people who use Davinci resolve what would be the parameter to setup for better quality?

Thanks!!

Blackmagic Design has a series of very nice tutorials regarding color grading in Davinci Resolve. I like to start by using managed color space with an intermediate space of Davinci Wide Gambut and a display color space of rec 709 2.4. These are peramaters you either set up as preferences or when you create a new timeline with DR 18.5. I don't care for luts. To me these are little more than choosing a color profile for 4.2.0 8 bit footage. I also don't use any preset peramaters. I let the shot guide me and I grade to maximize the shot. I am careful to get white balance and exposure correct in camera. The first adjustments I use are lift (black point) and gain (white point) to get the overall luminus of the shot where I want it. Next is contrast followed by color boost and or saturation. Lastly I add some midtone detail and possibly some sharpening dependant upon the camera used. This gives me a rugh primary grade. I'll stop there as secondary grading gets way more involved than I will take the time to write here.

Here's a frame grap of a clip I graded just tonight albeit from a Canon C200.

Untitled_1.2.1.jpg

If you want to use a lut, DR has an output lut of HLG 2.4 gama which may help if you like it.

Last edited:
Sorry, just had to. This is a frame grab from a Blackmagic 6K pro. Love Blackmagic's color science....

Untitled_1.1.1.jpg

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Researching in Internet the correct HLG Color management in Davinci, I was testing this one.

Anyone can confirm is correct or give feedback? Another question is having this setup, the output will be HDR, but for example if I dont want HDR (ie upload to Instagram) what shall I select?

thanks
Captura de pantalla 2023-07-24 a las 10.13.35.png

Researching in Internet the correct HLG Color management in Davinci, I was testing this one.

Anyone can confirm is correct or give feedback? Another question is having this setup, the output will be HDR, but for example if I dont want HDR (ie upload to Instagram) what shall I select?

thanks
View attachment 166352
I've not tried that set up but it should work fine. It should be good for tic/toc as well as Rec.2100 is meant to be a "crossover" colorspace between Rec 709 and Rec 2020 and is touted to work for both.

Reactions: scuervo.ramiro
I am getting crazy trying different configurations :(

Now I tried this one, for no HDR video, and then applying a lut dlog-m to my clip and some adjustment looks good I think.. there are lot of options! Just wondering what would be the recommend or best for a DJI HLG video profile

Captura de pantalla 2023-07-24 a las 14.35.10.png

Just maybe a simple question but the issue I have is that what I see in the timeline(while editing) is different comparing when I export the video.. I tried different configuration. on the color science..but is different.

how can I get same result? I am editing HLG video from M3Pro

thanks in advance!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas