DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizon not level

Pape

Reactions
Hi, I am new here, and this is my first DJI drone. I just got this Mavic 2 pro last week. From the first flight I noticed that the horizon would not stay level but, I din't pay much attention to it because, I knew that there were imu and gimbal calibrations that would most likely fix it. So I did some research and found many other Mavic2's had horizon leveling problems. I even read some people return them and get a new one with the same problem. I my self have already done all of the following: latest firmware on mavic2 (.400 to .510) and controller, countless gimbal calibrations, over a dozen imu calibrations. Cold Imu to gimbal to compass calibration. flown in different areas 25 miles apart. Flown high and flow low with no wind. measured the surface were I place the drone to do the calibrations to perfectly level.

What I want to know is do your mavic 2's have the same horizon tilt like mine. I get this when I use aileron left or right, it does not mater to what side the drone tilts, the camera always tilts the same way with ant aileron input. The left side of the video drops with left or right aileron.

Do any of you guys have any other idea of what I could try before I send the drone back? I would really hate to send it back only to receive a drone with a similar tilt or even a Refurbished one.

Thanks any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That's wrong ... return it as a warranty claim.

The gimbal might be set to FPV instead of Follow. That looks correct for FPV mode. Go into the Go4 app and check under gimbal settings.

Reactions: Bill combs
The gimbal might be set to FPV instead of Follow. That looks correct for FPV mode. Go into the Go4 app and check under gimbal settings.
Nope, don't think so... then the view shouldn't tilt to the same direction weather you bank left or right.

Last edited:
Reactions: eskadrone
In fpv mode that i have used. The gimbal tilts in the direction of the aileron input. In my case in follow mode the gimbal always tilts right always, regardless of aileron input be it left or right. The videos are in follow mode not fpv mode.

Sorry, my mistake. I just watched a few seconds of the video. I agree now that it must be defective.

I would not return it for warranty claim, I would return it for a full exchange. For a brand new aircraft, you should not have to have it repaired. Get a new one.

As for what you've read and your feelings that this is common with M2Ps and people just another defective unit, etc. etc., I would like to offer these observances of my own:
  • You Rarely Hear Success Stories: most of the people coming onto forums with brand new drones are either asking a question about flying, or complaining about a problem. That makes it seem as if there are more problems (percentage wise) than here are success stories.
  • Not just mavics: tilted horizons is nothing new. I've had them going back into old Phantom 3 models. If anything, the Mavic models probably fewer occurrences than older models. They are getting better.
  • Getting another bad one: honestly, I don't recall hearing about that happening at all, much less a lot. If you have found an story or two like that out there, I'll bet it's rare. Don't fret about the anecdotal occurrences that do not represent the norm.
Kudos for all the stuff you tried before coming here. That shows some extraordinary research on your part — good job!

Chris

Reactions: DDS
I would not return it for warranty claim, I would return it for a full exchange. For a brand new aircraft, you should not have to have it repaired. Get a new one.

As for what you've read and your feelings that this is common with M2Ps and people just another defective unit, etc. etc., I would like to offer these observances of my own:
  • You Rarely Hear Success Stories: most of the people coming onto forums with brand new drones are either asking a question about flying, or complaining about a problem. That makes it seem as if there are more problems (percentage wise) than here are success stories.
  • Not just mavics: tilted horizons is nothing new. I've had them going back into old Phantom 3 models. If anything, the Mavic models probably fewer occurrences than older models. They are getting better.
  • Getting another bad one: honestly, I don't recall hearing about that happening at all, much less a lot. If you have found an story or two like that out there, I'll bet it's rare. Don't fret about the anecdotal occurrences that do not represent the norm.
Kudos for all the stuff you tried before coming here. That shows some extraordinary research on your part — good job!

Chris
How would I go about that? You mean that if I go through DJI they will send me a refurbished unit? I just bought this one new. I had the option to buy refurbished but, opted to pay a little extra for a new unit instead. I would hate to get a refurbished one, but then again this unit can't be used for any decent video in its current state.

How would I go about that?

Go back to the retailer. I guess it depends on where you live, but in the states: If you bought on Amazon, you just start a normal return (when it's defective, you shouldn't have to pay shipping). If you bought it in person from big box store (like Best Buy), just take it back and ask to swap it for a new one.

If you just bought the drone, then in most places, you are likely still in the full refund period. If they don't swap it for a brand new unit, ask for all of your money back (but you shouldn't have to go that far).

Chris

I actually bought if from DDS, DJI Drone service
Your request for returns go to them. Your rights in respect to returns depend on the the state you live in, and it may depend upon whether or not they are a DJI authorized reseller. If they're a decent outfit, you should be able to figure all of this out with a single conversation with them.

If they are not an authorized DJI reseller, I would question if you got a new, factory sealed unit to begin with. It looks to me like they're more a repair shop than a retailer.

Chris

DDS is a sponsor of this site.
They've been giving us good deals and lots of help for many months. They even recommended Florida Drone Supply for the Mini Combo when DDS was out of supply but FDS had a huge supply.
Reminds me of Miracle on 34th St.

DDS offers free estimates on repairs.

Reactions: DDS
DDS is a sponsor of this site.
They've been giving us good deals and lots of help for many months. They even recommended Florida Drone Supply for the Mini Combo when DDS was out of supply but FDS had a huge supply.
Reminds me of Miracle on 34th St.

DDS offers free estimates on repairs.
Was bought 2 weeks ago...if doa will swap for a new bird

That is a stand up company!! they didn't have to reply to the Post!
Not too often we get to do some after sales support, (new drones usually work)

Return authorization sent..Will send a replacement once received.

@Pape
Lucky you!
Dead on arrival drones are 1 out of 1000 units. (maybe buy a lottery ticket)

My luck I guess.

I revived my RMA#, put the drone back in its box with all its accessories and, factory packaging. I will ship it back ASAP

I will update this thread once I receive the replacement.

Thanks everyone here for all your support, especially DDS for such a quick response.

Update...

I want to thank DJI Drone Service (DDS) for the great costumer service I received. When I created this thread I was contacted by DDS who promptly replied with a RMA# for me to send back the Drone. When they received the drone it only took a couple of days for them to send the replacement back to me. I received a brand new sealed unit (not a refurbished)

Today I got to test it out for the first time. I just took it out of the box, did a compass calibration and took it for a test flight. The gimbal now works perfect. I have made a video of the same buildings in the previous video. Now you can see the gimbal is working like it should.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and DDS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu