DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizontal lines in still photo

offtheback

Reactions
Got many of these dark horizontal lines in the water.Mavic 2 pro,shot raw,no editing.At times they were scrolling across the Ipad as I was shooting.Any ideas?DJI_0366.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0352.jpg
    DJI_0352.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DJI_0358.jpg
    DJI_0358.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 52
That's what's known as "prop shadows".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If that is prop shadow, he needs to test it out. When he next gets that look, just do a 90 degree yaw left and take another still shot or video. Then do the same at another 90 degree point and then one more and compare all the images. If he gets that look at all compass points, then that is not prop shadow, it is something else. You should only get prop shadow at certain angles to the sun.

With that said, it does look like prop shadow and it is at the angle to the sun that you would expect to see it.

Last edited:
Is that because an ND filters allows for lower shutter speed thus blurring the prop shadow?

Not so much to blur the prop shadow but to avoid capturing a photo at that very moment the prop shadow is most noticeable

Reactions: Thomas B
Not so much to blur the prop shadow but to avoid capturing a photo at that very moment the prop shadow is most noticeable
I'm not sure if an ND filter will help prop shadow because regardless of the shutter speed, the props are still going to be in a position to the sun that may well allow for the effect to be seen. All an ND filter allows for it to change the exposure at a set lighting strength, usually the shutter speed, since aperture is irrelevant at such height a drone can fly and photograph. Only when the shutter is very slow, could this help, so better to use no ND filter and change the angle you are shooting to the sun or the time of day you are doing the shooting.

You could also try a high speed fly away because that would allow the props in view, to be lifted higher on that side and possibly out of the camera view, as you take the shot, with the sun at that angle to the camera.

I'm not sure if an ND filter will help prop shadow because regardless of the shutter speed, the props are still going to be in a position to the sun that may well allow for the effect to be seen. All an ND filter allows for it to change the exposure at a set lighting strength, usually the shutter speed, since aperture is irrelevant at such height a drone can fly and photograph. Only when the shutter is very slow, could this help, so better to use no ND filter and change the angle you are shooting to the sun or the time of day you are doing the shooting.

You could also try a high speed fly away because that would allow the props in view, to be lifted higher on that side and possibly out of the camera view, as you take the shot, with the sun at that angle to the camera.

YMMV but I have never had a prop shadow after slowing the shutter with ND filters. I had plenty of prop shadows before using ND filters

ND filters themselves have nothing to do with prop shadows. Both shutter speed and frame rate will affect how visible they are though (if you are in a particular situation that might cause them like flying into the sun), but the lack of a ND filter is not the reason the prop shadows occur. A lens hood is going to be your best defense (and is a good idea regardless). You should only really see this at very specific angles to the sun as well - personally I have never had this ruin any of my footage yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imMike507