DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horrible video issue / error not seen until after 2+ years of flying

FL AV8R

Reactions
I apologize ahead of time, but I don't have enough knowledge of video issues to even begin to describe the error (artifact?) in this video which begins at the 0:50 mark. Wobble? Flutter? Those two words seem to describe video problems other than this flaw (as I can tell with searches for those words), but they are the first words that come to mind in my amateur attempt to describe the obvious flaw.

Facts:
1) M2Z using PolarPro ND/PL 16 filter (a filter I use *a lot* for this general video subject/lighting, though it is possible that it might not have been the exact perfect match for the lighting on this particular day, ie in efforts to double frame rate with shutter speed).

2)Set at 1080/60fps

3)This is the video from the drone, ie copied from my Sandisk Extreme Pro card that was installed, an expensive hi-spec card that has performed flawlessly for two years.

4)Issue shows up on original file when played directly on PC as well as on video services like YouTube which indicates that isn't an error of a video platform.

5) Set to automatic white instead of specifying sunny or cloudy as appropriate and as I usually do.

6) Several video clips shot minutes after this clip produced the same video flaw. Not all videos shot in this session produced the error, and no videos shot days after this one produced the flaw.

7) Gimbal appears to be working perfectly, ie this isn't a gimbal issue. Notice also that the subject at the center of the screen doesn't wobble. Rather, the wabble or flutter only shows outside the center of the video frame.

8) Air temps were in the mid 70's (F)

Any attempt at diagnosis would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Thats very strange to be sure, can you replicate it, does it show up in other videos, or just this one?

Reactions: FL AV8R
Thats very strange to be sure, can you replicate it, does it show up in other videos, or just this one?
Flaw occurred in several videos shot minutes after this one on same flight but haven’t seen the flaw since that day. Caveat: Haven’t shot *extensively* since that day, though, so am fearful it will rear its head again. Wish I knew how to replicate it. Perhaps in the coming days it will occur again. If so, I will update this post to indicate as much.

Agree... strange. Can’t remember seeing anything like it in a drone video.
It reminds me of a layer of liquid or clear oil, concentrated to the edgesof the lens or the filter by surface tension.

I apologize ahead of time, but I don't have enough knowledge of video issues to even begin to describe the error (artifact?) in this video which begins at the 0:50 mark. Wobble? Flutter? Those two words seem to describe video problems other than this flaw (as I can tell with searches for those words), but they are the first words that come to mind in my amateur attempt to describe the obvious flaw.

Facts:
1) M2Z using PolarPro ND/PL 16 filter (a filter I use *a lot* for this general video subject/lighting, though it is possible that it might not have been the exact perfect match for the lighting on this particular day, ie in efforts to double frame rate with shutter speed).

2)Set at 1080/60fps

3)This is the video from the drone, ie copied from my Sandisk Extreme Pro card that was installed, an expensive hi-spec card that has performed flawlessly for two years.

4)Issue shows up on original file when played directly on PC as well as on video services like YouTube which indicates that isn't an error of a video platform.

5) Set to automatic white instead of specifying sunny or cloudy as appropriate and as I usually do.

6) Several video clips shot minutes after this clip produced the same video flaw. Not all videos shot in this session produced the error, and no videos shot days after this one produced the flaw.

7) Gimbal appears to be working perfectly, ie this isn't a gimbal issue. Notice also that the subject at the center of the screen doesn't wobble. Rather, the wabble or flutter only shows outside the center of the video frame.

Strongly suspect the gimbal moving as the issue shows slight roll rotational movement pivoting on the centre of frame.

There was a similar issue recently that I believe was resolved with an IMU calibration. When accelerating the aircraft was rocking with a fast but slight side-to-side roll motion that the gimbal was trying to overcome.

It could be a gimbal jitter except that it worst at the edges. It looks to me more like an unstable time base in the camera. This would be a hardware problem. Either a bad cable in the camera to recorder area, or the camera board itself.

It appears an elliptical vibration. Seemingly only effecting the border area. Visible effect, iterating focusing. I would have the autofocus or zooming mechanism checked.

It could be a gimbal jitter except that it worst at the edges. It looks to me more like an unstable time base in the camera. This would be a hardware problem. Either a bad cable in the camera to recorder area, or the camera board itself.

Easy to reproduce the gimbal effect with a smartphone: switch on camera, point at a target then rotate the phone keeping the centre of the image on the target. The edges will be affected more than the centre.

As for the card: I don´t think so. Card errors mostly are cause for frame corruptions, colored streaks etc. Here you see imo optical disturbances.

Facts:

2)Set at 1080/60fps

Facts:

2)Set at 1080/60fps

Full compass calibration and imu calibration
Had a similar thing with my magic pro
All fixed after I done the above!!
Good luck

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007