DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

House keeping photos on a PC

I run a Synology DS916+ for my small business and have Lightroom Classic CC sort my imported files automatically with year-month-name in folders on a separate „photos“ drive on the NAS. But I sort them by hand in the so-called Lightroom catalogue into ... i don’t know the exact term in english: Folder - subfolder or client - project... depends if it is a paid gig or just private / learning / training project

@Porky I think there’s no problem with saving everything locally to your Mac for now, because you can easily copy it (and the whole folder structure) to your NAS, as soon as you have one.

But I recommend you have an external USB-drive connected and do have time machine running for your backups.

Edit: DiskStation DS218j | Synology Inc. - I had an older version of this 2-bay NAS running for years and was very satisfied. The so-called „J“ series is an „entry-level“ but very good choice for many things / requirements.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwardncsu and Porky
Thanks for the info @calmar81 Todate all my photos are stored on my iMac which I’m starting to get under control now but definitely have to get one of those external NAS units. Just need to pick the right one for my needs.

I have to old fashion hard drives (2TB) one for a back up
everything I shoot with the mavic I save and save again...so not to clog up my Computor with data on the desk top
....cR

Reactions: Porky
Still not sorted anything out yet but I will;) thanks for the info Charlie.

I know this is quite an old post now but next month I’ll be getting my NAS.

I’ve decided to go for a Synology DS 218+ unpopulated then add two WD Red 4TB drives, 8TB total. I’ll be setting it up as a raid 1 config so the drives will be mirrored.

I don’t want anything to fancy but this unit does look pretty good for my needs plus I’ll be able to connect to it remotely.

Thanks to all for your input, as always, much appreciated.??

@Porky - the single best do it now idea in the discussion is to get that massive file off you desktop just for computer health/function.

It’s quick; make an alias of your encompassing folder of pics using the popup menu from a right-click on the folder (there are other ways, doesn’t matter how). Then drag the original to wherever you want (documents is a good choice. The alias stays on your desktop and lets you open the file. Your iMac May even run faster. One last idea. Rename your folder with the pics before making the alias, by inserting a space at the beginning of the name. Then the folder will be the first one listed in the place you store it and so easy to find.

Looks like your still contemplating and evaluating possibilities... that’s excellent!
Best of luck my friend.Thumbswayup

@Porky - the single best do it now idea in the discussion is to get that massive file off you desktop just for computer health/function.

It’s quick; make an alias of your encompassing folder of pics using the popup menu from a right-click on the folder (there are other ways, doesn’t matter how). Then drag the original to wherever you want (documents is a good choice. The alias stays on your desktop and lets you open the file. Your iMac May even run faster. One last idea. Rename your folder with the pics before making the alias, by inserting a space at the beginning of the name. Then the folder will be the first one listed in the place you store it and so easy to find.

Looks like your still contemplating and evaluating possibilities... that’s excellent!
Best of luck my friend.Thumbswayup

Got no photos on my iMac now, all stored on the wife’s external HD. Then I’ll transfer them onto the NAS when I get it.

Thanks for the tip though, appreciated ??

Reactions: Thomas B and fozzzy
Sounds like a plan buddy its always best to have some form of redundancy on physical hard drives.

I know this is quite an old post now but next month I’ll be getting my NAS.

I’ve decided to go for a Synology DS 218+ unpopulated then add two WD Red 4TB drives, 8TB total. I’ll be setting it up as a raid 1 config so the drives will be mirrored.

I don’t want anything to fancy but this unit does look pretty good for my needs plus I’ll be able to connect to it remotely.

Thanks to all for your input, as always, much appreciated.??

Great choice! I've been running an older DiskStation with two WD Red 3 TB drives for literally a decade. It's always been rock solid reliable and I love having a single place on my network for all my photos and videos. I back them up there after working with them on my iMac, so our setups are very similar. Happy to answer questions as you're getting set up. The only problem I've experienced is that my drives are starting to fill up. I may have to swap them out for 4 or 8 TB next. Time to go pluck the money tree again. :)

I am sitting on over 20k full res images and I use Amazon cloud because they don't count against the storage I have for Prime Members. I store them all locally on an external HDD in a usb3 dock. I use Lightroom classic to catalog and tag them all. I import using Lightroom to the HDD and convert everything to dng as I go. I then Use the free version of odrive to sync the contents of my external to amazon drive. Its much more flexible then the Amazon Cloud desktop app. To prevent any syncing issues while working in Lightroom I pause odrive background syncing. The first syncs to the cloud are the most painful but after that its seamless and a perfect local/off-site combo for me. My archive is simply root/year/month and I use tags for everything else. The Adobe Photo plans are nice and even Lightroom CC with 1TB storage is not a bad option if you just want to import and not have to worry about anything (there is a setting for keeping a set of originals locally) its a pretty great system I just can't leave Lightoom classic because I am obsessive when it comes to trying to organize things. If you ever leave Adobe Cloud there is a simple downloader that gets you a year/month archive on your local system (if you decided not to keep a copy local). Hit me up if anyting sparks a question.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicko222