DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

House of Cards - An entertaining challenge to you.

The goal of my video was to show the gardens and pond that my wife built over the years. She is the "Set Designer" I referred to in the video. As I started flying and shooting clips, the project then evolved into making a spoof on the House of Cards theme. When I first published this video some time ago, I was expecting someone to say "Hey wait a minute... you can't do that with a drone!" But nobody caught on, and I was surprised.

If you recall the opening to House of Cards, they include a scene where the sun shadows on a building is the primary movement and the camera location is the secondary movement. I wanted to create that.

The problem with such a scene has to do with the time scale of movement. I wanted to create hyperlapse scenes with at a minimum of two time scales, and perhaps three. The time scale of vegetation movement is in seconds, the scale of cloud movement is minutes, and the time scale of sun shadow movement is hours. Hours??! I don’t know of any off-the-shelf drone that can fly for hours. “Hey wait a minute…!”

So I cheated. It’s cheating because I did not fly. To capture the sun shadows moving across the lawn, I had to do a time lapse of 15 seconds per shot over a period of 1.5 hours, giving me roughly a 12 second clip at 30 fps. The only way to do that is to place the MPP on a platform…. “Cheating”.

All of the time lapse shots, especially with sun shadow movement had to be done on a platform. And a high one so it “looks” like I’m flying.

The pond shot includes time scales of seconds (vegetation, water and fish moving) combined with real time camera movement. That shot was made over a 20 minute period, but I could not hover and get an extremely slow yaw to pan over the pond. So I cheated… I made a platform that would rotate 45 degrees over a 15 minute period.

Time lapse intermixed with realtime flying clips and I've got a spoof movie!

I had fun making this video, and I learned a lot about time-lapse... all the while my wife was rolling her eyes and laughing at me.

Here’s my stationary platform…

View attachment 91327
And here’s my rotating platform…

View attachment 91328
Well that was genius. What about the dolly zoom though?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If forgot to add in my last post, the effect of real time camera movement was accomplished in post. I simply zoomed in on the 4k clip and set key frames along with x,y position, effectively simulating camera movement.

Well that was genius. What about the dolly zoom though?
The dolly zoom was accomplished by capturing a clip by flying backwards from the door for about 100 to 150 feet while holding the forward vision point constant. Then in post I set key frames at the beginning and end of the clip for zoom scale values, while trying to hold the net size of the center of the scene (the door) constant. Trial and error.

@Gorm got the Ken Burns part. Ken burns made that effect popular but he did it with still images in video to make it feel like there was movement without there actually being any. You still had to simulate the focal length changing though. I can imagine that took some time to get right.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Thanks everyone for having a little fun.

@Gorm got the Ken Burns part. Ken burns made that effect popular but he did it with still images in video to make it feel like there was movement without there actually being any. You still had to simulate the focal length changing though. I can imagine that took some time to get right.
Yeah, I had a lot of clips that just didn't work. I always say it takes 99 clips to get one good one!

Ah ha! At least I got that part right!
Here is another attempt at a dolly zoom that ended up on the cutting floor as the scaling, focus and lighting were not good.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gshu