DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hovering wobble and drift; CSV file and video included

Sotaskimmer

Reactions
Hey Guys,

Long-time browser of the forums here but now finally have my own concerning issue.

Currently 2 weeks into a 3-month trek through central and South America. The basic issue is a prominent wobble that is most noticeable during hovering, but seems to be present at all times of flight. Watch the youtube link for reference. I realize there's a little bit of wind but unfortunately I couldn't find a quieter spot... you'll just have to take my word for it that the wobble is present in perfectly calm conditions as well.

I've also linked a CSV of the flight info (sampled at 100hz to keep size down). The first major motor acceleration in the file correlates to take-off in the video.

CSV file (on amazon drive).

Since the last time it flew correctly, there are a few things that have happened, which clouds the picture of what could be wrong. The last flight was attacked by a dog trying to land, which actually didn't cause a crash but ruined my new platinum blades (dog was okay too for those worried). I was able to settle it down nearby with the dog held back, but unfortunately it was in a sandy area and a few grains got into the right rear motor upon landing. I noticed this on next bootup when the motors twitch, and heard a grind on the RR motor.

Over the next few days I was able to locate some compressed air and used pretty much the entire can blowing out the motor with the bottom dust cover off, although the motor seemed totally clean and spun freely after about half the can. During this downtime I also updated to the latest firmware from the DJI GO 4 app. It was grounded until yesterday when I decided it was time for the moment of truth, and saw the results you see in the video.

So saying all that, I'm fully aware that I most likely effed my motor. I'm posting here on prayer that it could be something else going on, like the fact i'm now using my spare (off-brand) props since my 8331 props were trashed, or something going on with the ESC in the new update.

I should also mention that as far as motor heat, I can't feel a subjective difference between the two back motors, although both are noticeably warmer than the two in front.
Also should say I did take a look at the motor data in csvView but nothing really stood out to me. But then I'm a pretty amateur data wrangler.

Any help is hugely appreciated. Heading to Colombia next and debating just sending it back to the states -->DJI now vs later.

Last edited:
next bootup when the motors twitch, and heard a grind on the RR motor.
this or your off brand props
having read some feedback re non DJI props, plus the high wind in you video. i would get some new props when and try again when there is much less wind.

Last edited:
get genuine props and compare. my own personal experience with off brand props on my Spark once; caused it to fly erratically. once I replaced with genuine props, flew just fine. wont do that again, especially with my Mavic.

Your flag has about the same wobble frequency. Quite a lot of turbulence there it seems.

Your flag has about the same wobble frequency. Quite a lot of turbulence there it seems.

Maybe 5-7 knots, but much more constant than the mavics erratic movements make it seem. I've flown it previously in stronger winds and it looked way more solid with smoother adjustments for turbulence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds