DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How can I make my movie pans smoother?

Steve M

Reactions
When I am shooting short clips and I do a left or right turn it often comes out jerky in the clip.
I have trouble doing it slowly enough to look clear. In and out up and down are alright.
Is there a setting that I can change to make the spinning slower?
Thanks Steve

Reactions: Ds67888
You can adjust those settings in Gain &Expo settings in App.
Get them set where you like them take a screenshot so
if you lose them in an update you have them then just stick practice.
BB7399F7-977A-4CD7-8A2D-474CEC0F982C.jpegAAD28ACE-6CAD-491F-A14C-C53B0163B061.jpeg84B39139-0FCF-4458-A418-5C5EBD97104D.jpeg

When I am shooting short clips and I do a left or right turn it often comes out jerky in the clip.
I have trouble doing it slowly enough to look clear. In and out up and down are alright.
Is there a setting that I can change to make the spinning slower?
Thanks Steve

Tripod mode will slow everything down resulting in much smoother footage - there is a dedicated button on the side of the RC for this. Also, there are plenty of tips on Youtube, for example:-

Thanks Pete , I didn't want to slow everything down but I will try that as you suggest and see how that goes, and
Dirk I only have a problem with the turning too fast, so would you suggest that I go to those settings and just put the yaw down to 80%, I probably don't need to touch the other buttons.
The pitch, roll, yaw and vertical are all set on 100 and it warns to make changes with caution, but suggests that the settings may be between 80% and 120%. I suppose the only way really is for me to try it. I'm going out now, and will try the tripod too.
And Pete, that link was good.

Last edited:
When I power mine up again I will get a screen shot of what works for me and as Pete said using Tripod mode does help
a lot. But Its only something I use at certain times. This video might help you get what I was saying. Is just the first
video I came up on but are many more.

My trick; Take a wider shot , then add the pan/zoom with software in processing.

Perhaps not work well for every application, but another option to fine tune the final production.

Reactions: Steve M
Thanks, searching that term led me down another rabbit hole that I did not know existed.
Actually I never panned with the gimbal, only by turning the craft around, I forgot that I could do that.
I see now that the gimbal is much smoother.

Sorry I'm late in posting something on this, but have you tried to increase your framerate? If you're shooting 24fps and pan, it's really hard to get a good shot without it being jerky. Shooting in 30 fps helps out a lot.

Reactions: Steve M
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King