DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How cold is too cold?

I would probably not fly when the temperature is below 32 . But I have seen some people flying out in even colder weather along with snow [emoji300]️

too cold to fly, is for me when the temperature +the wind chill ,means that i am too cold to be able to control my drone correctly ,because my hands even with gloves on are not able to function ,the problem with drone flying ,is the fact that mostly we are standing still in one spot as we fly ,unlike a walker ,or cyclist who can generate some warmth from the physicality of what they are doing the cold also slows down ones senses and can affect reaction times ,and the ability to make sensible judgments
That's not the question he was asking. He was asking what temperature is too low for the DRONE, not for him.

On the DJI website under battery faq and specs.
The operating temperature for both is 0° to 40°C (32° to 104℉). The Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Battery charging temperature is 0° to 40°C (32° to 104℉), and the remote controller battery charging temperature is 0° to 45°C (32° to 113℉). When using the aircraft in a cold environment, pay attention to any on-screen prompts related to takeoff status.
Thanks, Graz ??

That's not the question he was asking. He was asking what temperature is too low for the DRONE, not for him.
i did realise that ,but its not just the drone that can have issues flying in cold weather

Turn your oven on 100° and half open the door.
this will safely warm up the little bird ..............
(typical Fla weather without the humididdidy) ?

Only trouble I've ever had was iPad pro shutting down cause of cold, bird flew just fine.

This using heaters 'powered by the battery itself' has always puzzled me, I saw heaters for Phantoms too. Why not carry the batteries inside your clothing? It's free heat and doesn't consume battery power. Once the batteries are providing power to the drone they are self heating anyway. It just seems a waste of charge to me.

the self heating is so that the drone can get air born immediately it has GPS lock without having to hover for a time to allow the battery to reach a safe operating temp ,and also for it to operate safely in very low temps,it also helps keep the battery at an optimum temp ,and actually improves the flight time as well

the self heating is so that the drone can get air born immediately it has GPS lock without having to hover for a time to allow the battery to reach a safe operating temp ,and also for it to operate safely in very low temps,it also helps keep the battery at an optimum temp ,and actually improves the flight time as well
Does it work with the Mavic 2 Pro ?

the self heating is so that the drone can get air born immediately it has GPS lock without having to h
Thanks, I understand that reasoning but what I was questioning is the need to drain battery power when putting the battery inside you clothing is free heat.
I shove a cold battery inside my my trouser's waist band or a shirt etc. breast pocket or if its not too cold a trouser front hip pocket

Reactions: old man mavic
really its more to do with safety having the battery at an optimum temp throughout the flight,
dont forget SAR is dealing with much different types of flying to the average hobbyist

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure