DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How did you get your start in flying drones?

How did you start flying?

• Straight to GPS based drones

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Model aircraft

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
Visited LA last year around July 4th, was amazed by the fireworks display, but even more thrilled with the amount of drones in the air. Got back home to the ATL, bought a P3S, fell in LOVE with the hobby, bought a Mavic , waiting for Mavic 2.

Bought a Syma X8C and started to fly it, then I went to a racing drone then I went to a Cheerson CX-20 ( what a piece of crap that was) I wanted a GPS drone so I bought the Cheerson, that thing was awful, then I bought Phantom 3 then some nano quadcopters and then the Mavic.

Built my first drone with an adruino, GPS module. Gyro module , and some other bits . Built on a wooden frame , with 4 1000 kv shafted motors. Did all the hard coding (with a bit of help ) but proud to say built the entire flight controller my self. Flew like a sack of rocks on a rope but sorted it over time (3 months) . That was my Mark one. By the time my Mark 7 came around she was doing full missions on a professional level.

I was already a FAA certificated pilot with multiple ratings including instructor. Bought the Mavic as something to have fun with. Not as fun as flying a real airplane, but still pretty darn cool!

started with one year of fpv drone racing in 250 class Alien betaflight lumenier etc...
fed up with reparing an soldering and no more time to do so.
on the $$$ side flying Mavic is less expensiv and way less stressfull

Built balsa models when I was a Teen, hooked on RC hi-wing planes, took weeks to build, maybe 7 minutes to crash! We lived in the sticks, no one around could help me get these things off the ground, so most didn't.
30 years fly by & I;m walking my dog in local park, I hear a buzzing sound, look up & there, above me, is this 4 prop apperation, sitting dead still at 60'. It slowly drops lower & lower until it just settles on the ground & stops!
I got down on my knees to look at it, was it from space, NASA? Then I saw- If found please call- ## reward!
A week later I bought a Seyma XC5 & the rest is history.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb