DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how difficult is it to swap mavic 2 gimbals?

MavicFT1P

Reactions
see above

Reactions: charliesRig
It is simple but consider this:

Red Alert after Swapping Pro to Zoom

I have done this swap many times (lost count) and have never had a issue. Take your time, use the correct tools and you should not have a problem.

Thanks for the replies/video.

I watched this video on it in the interim aswell as yours
It looks a breeze (famous last words) if done carefully as you say.

Not something to do in the field obviously.
But on the workbench it looks painless, probably soothing done once or twice :)

Im going to chalk that up to a Rare Occurrence/issue, as it suits my situation (saving for gimbal) ;)

Last edited:
Your call

Sorry, I read the thread but did not notice your were the Poster. A lot of 'B' Avatars.

I edited to say "rare occurence".
I saw your SC, which i dont have or want, so that was kind of enough x factor for me
to disregard it.

It's true many people have had success swapping the gimbals though, yes?

I havnt looked at the software side, but I would have thought a firmware flash
was a gimme, as well as a Go 4 unin/reinstall.
Gimbal calibrate and hopefully all's well..

Also I like the new gimbal tethers.
As Mighty as they were, the M1P rubber band looking things holding the gimbal to the board always worried me

Thanks for the replies/video.

I watched this video on it in the interim aswell as yours
It looks a breeze (famous last words) if done carefully as you say.

Not something to do in the field obviously.
But on the workbench it looks painless, probably soothing done once or twice :)

Im going to chalk that up to User error as it suits my situation (saving for gimbal) ;)
I did the swap once successfully, but quickly realized that the process was too risky to repeat more than once, especially in the field. My solution was to acquire another bare M2 aircraft for $650 from MidCityHobby.com so I now have an M2P and an M2Z with a single RC, and only need to spend 15 seconds in the field to change cameras by binding the other M2 with the remote. Very happy with this slightly more expensive solution. I already had the M2P and the Zoom gimbal and camera assembly was only $279 from AliExpress at the time.

Ive already Forgotten the field.
i'll devote a day to it (or evening at least), as long as it works, and the only potential problems
are user side.

Would be nice if there was a definitive guide. I dont have the gimbal yet, but a list of instructions
you can follow to success with the procedure would be nice.
That is if there IS more to it than the hardware swap.

Or at least the very best video, if these arent it

Ive already Forgotten the field.
i'll devote a day to it (or evening at least), as long as it works, and the only potential problems
are user side.

Would be nice if there was a definitive guide. I dont have the gimbal yet, but a list of instructions
you can follow to success with the procedure would be nice.
That is if there IS more to it than the hardware swap.

Or at least the very best video, if these arent it
The videos are spot on. You do absolutely need the correct tools, and then the removal is a piece of cake. However, the reattachment of the ribbon cable is the tricky part, and any stripped screw head will ruin your day. If you slightly misalign the two ribbon cable pieces during the reattachment, you ruin both. You need to snap them together without knowing with 100% certainty that they are perfectly aligned, because of the tight space and poor visibility. I lucked out the first time, but certainly didn't willingly want to repeat the process, especially since having a second, dedicated, brand new bare M2 body was only $650.

The videos are spot on. You do absolutely need the correct tools, and then the removal is a piece of cake. However, the reattachment of the ribbon cable is the tricky part, and any stripped screw head will ruin your day. If you slightly misalign the two ribbon cable pieces during the reattachment, you ruin both. You need to snap them together without knowing with 100% certainty that they are perfectly aligned, because of the tight space and poor visibility. I lucked out the first time, but certainly didn't willingly want to repeat the process, especially since having a second, dedicated, brand new bare M2 body was only $650.

i screq up you hook me up, ok ;)

Edit: oh USD, thats not so great. Kind of accurate minus the battery and gimbal.
still you lucked out to find one.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
i screq up you hook me up, ok ;)

Edit: oh USD, thats not so great. Kind of accurate minus the battery and gimbal.
still you lucked out to find one.
HobbyLobby.com in the U.S. sells them regularly for $650 on ebay. They are a drone parts dealer, and buy retail boxed M2's and then strip them for camera parts and accessories, and then also sell off the stripped new remaining unflown M2 drone carcasses!

Frequently? No, but I would do it occasionally.
I agree. It's a great way to test the other camera, and if you like it, too, and want to use it frequently, pick up a bare $650 M2 to mount it on. Otherwise, just keep it as a spare camera, with different capabilities, and swap occasionally. The fact that there is no necessary FW update and the GO 4 app immediately recognizes the change with appropriate new setiings really makes it simple.

Reactions: sgrinavi
Re doing it, swapping them frequently that is; i dont think anyone would..

I think it's more a case of (now at least) you can get a PRO m2 for a little bit extra, and down the track save, invest in a ZoOm gimbal.
Whereas buying a Mavic 2 zoom and saving for the PRO Gimbal, seems a less likely/doable scenario. At least on most Budget.

*Ironically I am the second situation, but I have a good source for new PRO gimbal (for now at least. Still saving).

I think it's more a case of (now at least) you can get a PRO m2 for a little bit extra, and down the track save, invest in a ZoOm gimbal.
Whereas buying a Mavic 2 zoom and saving for the PRO Gimbal, seems a less likely/doable scenario. At least on most Budget.

*Ironically I am the second situation, but I have a good source for new PRO gimbal (for now at least. Still saving).
New OEM DJI Pro Gimbal camera assembly from AliExpress is currently $531, vs. $255 for the Zoom.

Hello team
I want to get a new mavic drone but am not sure which will be affordable and nice for me
Am looking at distance and camera battery

I went from Zoom to an affordable used Pro gimble. I sold the Zoom unit & came out cheaper than it would have been to buy a pro. I like the quality of the pro, especially in lower light situations, significantly more that I liked/used the zoom feature.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007