DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how difficult is it to swap mavic 2 gimbals?

I went from Zoom to an affordable used Pro gimble. I sold the Zoom unit & came out cheaper than it would have been to buy a pro. I like the quality of the pro, especially in lower light situations, significantly more that I liked/used the zoom feature.
Getting a $650 spare M2 body and a Zoom gimbal and camera assembly for $255 is $905, saving $344 off the $1249 M2Z price, and just use your M2P controller, tablet, batteries, and microSD cards by rebinding the RC to the other aircraft, when changing cameras!

Eh, just do like I did. Get both. ;)

Thats the plan. I never mentioned selling off one.

Oh you mean drones. $3k to waste, What more can i say Top Billin' ?

Thats the plan. I never mentioned selling off one.

Oh you mean drones. $3k to waste, What more can i say Top Billin' ?
Haha. Yea, I meant two separate drones. I didn’t want to risk damaging something while regularly swapping out gimbals. Plus it’s not an “in the field” operation and I may have a use for both cameras in the same setting.

Besides, it’s only money. Can’t take it to the grave with us. ;)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm not as close in terms of disposable income or to the grave *touch wood*

Ive had times when $3k may aswell be $300k in terms of me acquiring it.
Some people commit Felonies to get this sort of money. So it's best to be humble.

But a decent job, and/or the cessation of a hardcore drug habit, can leave one
with 'Mavic One' money in 2016, no doubt.
Mavic 2 money (with $5 for petrol and a weeks worth of 2 min noodles)

I like to think everyone drains their proverbial account and eats *crappy for something,
be it Dimebag, Drone or a Gulfstream 4

*ammended

Last edited:
I'm not as close in terms of disposable income or to the grave *touch wood*

Ive had times when $3k may aswell be $300k in terms of me acquiring it.
Some people commit Felonies to get this sort of money. So it's best to be humble.

But a decent job, and/or the cessation of a hardcore drug habit, can leave one
with 'Mavic One' money in 2016, no doubt.
Mavic 2 money (with $5 for petrol and a weeks worth of 2 min noodles)

I like to think everyone drains their proverbial account and eats *crappy for something,
be it Dimebag, Drone or a Gulfstream 4

*ammended
It's cheaper than $3k when you buy the second bare M2 body and then buy the other gimbal and camera assembly, using a single controller. Closer to $2250, if you shop around for a deal of $100 off MSRP on the original retail purchase.

I tested this today by doing a swap with all firmware up to date and I experienced no issues or errors. If you want to chat feel free to send me a PM and we can troubleshoot your drone.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Getting a $650 spare M2 body and a Zoom gimbal and camera assembly for $255 is $905, saving $344 off the $1249 M2Z price, and just use your M2P controller, tablet, batteries, and microSD cards by rebinding the RC to the other aircraft, when changing cameras!

The zoom camera is good, but the pro camera is great - I prefer the look more that I do the zoom - consequently I wouldn't use the second drone enough to warrant $1000. To each his own

The zoom camera is good, but the pro camera is great - I prefer the look more that I do the zoom - consequently I wouldn't use the second drone enough to warrant $1000. To each his own
Its $320 to get the zoom camera.. I did it and its been well worth it! I have done some real estate work and it is so much better with the zoom! I love the video modes as well, but I would certainly recommend that you use the Pro for any photography.

Its $320 to get the zoom camera.. I did it and its been well worth it! I have done some real estate work and it is so much better with the zoom! I love the video modes as well, but I would certainly recommend that you use the Pro for any photography.

Yes, I understand that, but if you look at the context of my reply it was regarding keeping a second drone body with the camera mounted which is about $1000 including the camera.

All the power to you, I can not think honestly think of situation where I would need a zoom badly enough to warrant the extra cost. I suppose if I was going to go through the trouble of getting my commercial ticket to do a little side work I might find a need, but as an occasional hack it's not on the radar.

Perfect. Happily, the swap-ability enabled you to play with both cameras to make that determination. For those that buy the other gimbal-camera assembly, and want to have both, after trying them, without repeating the single aircraft swap of the cameras every time, the addition of another bare M2 aircraft is the best solution for another $650, since they already own both cameras.

Candidly, I started with the M2P, switched to the M2Z camera while the M2P camera was being repaired (2 months), and used the M2Z daily to monitor an Osprey nest with three chicks in 4x at 1080p, and haven't used the M2Z since getting the M2P back and buying another M2 aircraft for it, as the ospreys have now all fledged. However, I know I will still use it enough in the future for other surveillance work to justify the $900 total investment. M2P is definitely significantly better in low light and for spherical panoramas, with the 20MP stills!

I agree that starting with the Zoom was absolutely the way to go, aspirations for PRO gimbal or not.
Otherwise you literally dont know what your missing.
My reasoning for getting the PRO gimbal is purely for it's low light ability, noticed after a use with Zoom, or familiarlty with M1P
perhaps.

Lol, If you have the time/inclination to zoom/Film Ospreys, IM sure your could find other situations to enjoy the use of optical zoom.
Peregrine Falcon nest Higher up maybe? ;)

Reactions: sgrinavi
I agree that starting with the Zoom was absolutely the way to go, aspirations for PRO gimbal or not.
Otherwise you literally dont know what your missing.
My reasoning for getting the PRO gimbal is purely for it's low light ability, noticed after a use with Zoom, or familiarlty with M1P
perhaps.

Lol, If you have the time/inclination to zoom/Film Ospreys, IM sure your could find other situations to enjoy the use of optical zoom.
Peregrine Falcon nest Higher up maybe? ;)
Agreed! This osprey nest is at the top of a 100 foot light pole, with the nearest overlook is a full mile away at home. It's been there for years, but not occupied recently until this year, as I would frequently fly over it to check, knowing it would be eventually reused. I This year, I was also able to see how many adults were on the nest from home with Chinese military binoculars with 100mm objective lenses at 40x on a tripod. 2 minute flight each direction with the M2Z in 4x mode in 1080p left plenty of time for closeup daily observation. Using a P4P instead of the M2Z meant being immediately attacked from 50 feet away, while the M2Z could slowly approach and orbit from 20 feet away, or just hover, when the light was good and the background was clean. Amazing tool for the job at hand. Unlike the P4P, there really is nothing for a bird to grab in a potential attack, and the M2Z had 100 feet of height to recover above the ground when I first got attacked. Eventually, they easily tolerated the M2Z, as they realized it posed no threat. All three chicks fledged successfully and hung around for a while after. Oddly, there were three adults feeding the chicks!

Reactions: MavicFT1P
....My reasoning for getting the PRO gimbal is purely for it's low light ability, noticed after a use with Zoom, or familiarlty with M1P
perhaps.....

That was exactly what I did and why I switched over to the pro. Most of time I am flying at dusk, the pro just works better

That was exactly what I did and why I switched over to the pro. Most of time I am flying at dusk, the pro just works better
Same here! Zoom requires good lighting for best results. M2 Pro is really good at dusk when the wind dies down and the sky and foreground are evenly exposure balanced!

Tell me though; when you went to adjust exposure on your zoom, and found out instead the wheel was zooming
the camera in and out, that at that moment you wished you had a PRO instead. Dont think so.
If you had got the PRO, you would have never had some fun with it.

When you get a new Mavic with all the sensors and shinyness, it needs to be able to do something special
to remind you you just got a mavic 2.

Digression here:
Why they didnt they make the collision sensors into cameras instead? I will never know.
I almost think DJI meant to sometimes looking at the design. It's seems overkill for 'obstacle
sensors'.

If your still crashing into stuff after a few years flying...well
It's like it was made to be flown in a wharehouse or something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin