DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I determine what caused flyaway crash?

bry123

Reactions
Hello all, I recently traveled across country to California, after some repeated compass calibration errors I recalibrated the IMU and had a problem free successful flight. The next flight however almost immediately flew off and crashed into trees. It appears I just need a new prop, but was wondering how I interpret the flight log to figure out what went wrong. Any information would be appreciated!

Hello all, I recently traveled across country to California, after some repeated compass calibration errors I recalibrated the IMU and had a problem free successful flight. The next flight however almost immediately flew off and crashed into trees. It appears I just need a new prop, but was wondering how I interpret the flight log to figure out what went wrong. Any information would be appreciated!
It sounds like your compass was warning you of a problem with your Mavic being too close to some steel where you launched.
Recalibrating the compass is not the solution to that problem.

The recorded flight data is the place to start to see what happened.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

And can you describe your launch spot please.

Hello again,
I was able to upload the flight record, and the launch area was a rocky stream roughly 100' from a detached home in a rural area in the Sierra Mountains. I have been having repeated compass calibration errors recently, but they always resolved after I recalibrated, and this flight actually gave no warnings whatsoever. Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated!

Bryant

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-08-04_[17-50-11].txt
    445 KB · Views: 25
The next flight however almost immediately flew off and crashed into trees. It appears I just need a new prop, but was wondering how I interpret the flight log to figure out what went wrong.
Your flight data looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
The whole flight was very slow, you only gave gentle joystick inputs to which the Mavic appears to have responded properly.
Your speed never exceeded 5 mph and for most of the flight it was less than 2.5 mph.
I can't find any point in the log that fits your description of immediately flying off and crashing.
Neither can I see any corrective action taken by the pilot.
It's just a very slow and winding flight, very close to the trees.
The flight was so slow that it was hard to pick the point where it might have crashed.
I suspect the Mavic started getting close and personal with some branches at 1:41.7

Last edited:
Your flight data looks like this: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
The whole flight was very slow, you only gave gentle joystick inputs to which the Mavic appears to have responded properly.
Your speed never exceeded 5 mph and for most of the flight it was less than 2.5 mph.
I can't find any point in the log that fits your description of immediately flying off and crashing.
Neither can I see any corrective action taken by the pilot.
It's just a very slow and winding flight, very close to the trees.
The flight was so slow that it was hard to pick the point where it might have crashed.
I suspect the Mavic started getting close and personal with some branches at 1:41.7

There's no hint of any compass issues - or any other malfunction that I can see.
The flight was slow and, at first glance, doesn't seem like there was a compass problem. But, most of the flight the heading appears to be off by about 50° CCW. In this segment only elevator was being applied so the MA should have been moving in a direction aligned with the Yaw. The green bar emanating from the yellow A shows the Yaw value.
1565916195020.png

Most of the flight was like this - Yaw being about 50° CCW to the direction of flight.

There was even some toilet bowling at the end of the flight that occurred with no control input.

1565916391151.png

Reactions: Meta4
The flight was slow and, at first glance, doesn't seem like there was a compass problem. But, most of the flight the heading appears to be off by about 50° CCW. In this segment only elevator was being applied so the MA should have been moving in a direction aligned with the Yaw. The green bar emanating from the yellow A shows the Yaw value.
View attachment 79699

Most of the flight was like this - Yaw being about 50° CCW to the direction of flight.

There was even some toilet bowling at the end of the flight that occurred with no control input.

View attachment 79700

Definitely compass error...

Position.png

Reactions: BudWalker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu