DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I implement the recommended DHS security precautions?

Efusco

Reactions
Per the CNN article being discussed elsewhere, there are basically 3 things that the DHS has suggested to do in regards to the security concerns for Chinese made drones:

1)Turning off the device's internet connection; and
2)Removing secure digital cards; and
3)To "understand how to properly operate and limit your device's access to networks" to avoid "theft of information."

I'm honestly not sure what any of these things mean. My device is off when it's off, it's wifi connected to my phone when in operation...so how do you 'turn off the device's internet connection'? What secure digital card can be removed? My micro-SD card? What is that? and what steps are needed to limit the network access? Would love if some expert provided a step by step to explain these things for a noob.

And please, keep this thread focused on the technical discussion of the hows and whens of implementation and not the more off-topic political side. Thank you.

Reactions: brettbrandon
All good questions. I guess it means dont fly while connected to the internet which I usually dont so thats not a big deal for me. But then you will always eventually reconnect to the internet sooner or later and maybe it could get information then. Removing digital cards would mean just removing the SD card so it couldnt be read, but then once again it would be after you return from the field and reconnected to the internet so they probably get the info one way or another. I read an article a few years back by an expert that looked into all the data and bizzare connections and permissions that are made back to mainland china and the guy had some major concerns . that was back a few years ago things may be different now.

Reactions: Efusco
My Mavic has not "seen" the interwebs since I activated it almost 2 years ago......
And yes, I am still on the original firmware for the AC (.400) and 4.0.4 for the App.....
Zero issues as from the factory....

Per the CNN article being discussed elsewhere, there are basically 3 things that the DHS has suggested to do in regards to the security concerns for Chinese made drones:

1)Turning off the device's internet connection; and
2)Removing secure digital cards; and
3)To "understand how to properly operate and limit your device's access to networks" to avoid "theft of information."
The DHS "warning" that's been reported on (but can't be found anywhere) is extremely vague and alarmist.
Your drone doesn't have any sensitive data and the recorded flight data simply shows where you flew so there's really nothing in it that should be a security issue anyway.
If they had anything specific to warn you about, they would have (but didn't).

Reactions: Turn11 and JSKCKNIT
It’s just feed for the sheep. The “Chinese” are not accessing your drone, and even if they could, there is nothing “sensitive” on it.

Reactions: Jerry
It's not the Phantom, Inspire, Mavics etc. that's the issue. It's the DJI Go app. For example, look at the permissions needed to run on Android.Screenshot_20190531-142719_Google%20Play%20Store.jpeg

It's not the Phantom, Inspire, Mavics etc. that's the issue. It's the DJI Go app. For example, look at the permissions needed to run on Android
That's not necessarily a problem and appears fairly standard.
Check the fine print on any software these days.
And if it concerns you, ppay special attention to the fine print at the bottom where it says: You can disable access for these permissions in Settings.

The drone alone has no way of sending data to a server is what I'm saying. The Go App/DJI software is the issue. If you deny those permissions, you lose some functionalities of your drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54