DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do I insure my drone under state farm?

black_magic100

Reactions
I have heard from multiple places that state farm has a personal articles policy where they will insure your drone if it is lost or damaged for only ~$60. Does anybody know if there are any catches? How would I obtain this if my insurance company is not state farm?

The catch is that if you file a claim, it WILL get entered into the insurance risk database (ChoicePoint/LexisNexis) as a personal articles policy (PAP). PAPs are covered under fire - just as home, and inland marine. Does that mean your homeowner's rate will go up? Probably not if you have a long term relationship with your current insurer. But, if you tend to shop around at renewal, it will likely disqualify you from getting the lowest rates. Of course, you'll never know if/how it affects you since consumers are not privy to the underwriter risk calculations.

But, once it's in the CP/LN database, it will follow you to any/every insurer you go to. I shop annually for the lowest homeowners rates. So for me, this type of policy makes little sense. But, if I was sold on a given carrier for many years, and had no intention of leaving, I may well go for it.

Ultimately, you have to weigh the risk/reward ratio. Is a $1k claim (less now that prices are coming down) worth potentially causing your premium to go up for the next several years (likely totaling more than the value of the claim)?

I have heard from multiple places that state farm has a personal articles policy where they will insure your drone if it is lost or damaged for only ~$60. Does anybody know if there are any catches? How would I obtain this if my insurance company is not state farm?
I haven't found any other insurers offering this coverage. Regardless of who your current insurance is with, you'll need to go to State Farm and take out a personal articles policy. Mine was $30 a year for $1,000 worth of coverage.

Reactions: GooterFly68
The catch is that if you file a claim, it WILL get entered into the insurance risk database (ChoicePoint/LexisNexis) as a personal articles policy (PAP). PAPs are covered under fire - just as home, and inland marine. Does that mean your homeowner's rate will go up? Probably not if you have a long term relationship with your current insurer. But, if you tend to shop around at renewal, it will likely disqualify you from getting the lowest rates. Of course, you'll never know if/how it affects you since consumers are not privy to the underwriter risk calculations.

But, once it's in the CP/LN database, it will follow you to any/every insurer you go to. I shop annually for the lowest homeowners rates. So for me, this type of policy makes little sense. But, if I was sold on a given carrier for many years, and had no intention of leaving, I may well go for it.

Ultimately, you have to weigh the risk/reward ratio. Is a $1k claim (less now that prices are coming down) worth potentially causing your premium to go up for the next several years (likely totaling more than the value of the claim)?

I should probably clarify that I am only 20 years old and my parents pay for my insurance. Will this effect me in the future?

I haven't found any other insurers offering this coverage. Regardless of who your current insurance is with, you'll need to go to State Farm and take out a personal articles policy. Mine was $30 a year for $1,000 worth of coverage.
I thought the minimum was $60

I thought the minimum was $60

What state are you in?

It doesnt matter who pays your premiums if you are insuring it under your name. If you get it under your parents name, make sure it is a standalone PAP, not a rider on their policy with a higher deductible.

Call State Farm. You might need to call a few agents until you find one who will cover just the drone only. PAP policy, not a rider. Tell them it is for a drone. Minimum policy premiums vary from state to state. My minimum premium in Georgia is $60 with $0 deductible.

What state are you in?

It doesnt matter who pays your premiums if you are insuring it under your name. If you get it under your parents name, make sure it is a standalone PAP, not a rider on their policy with a higher deductible.

Call State Farm. You might need to call a few agents until you find one who will cover just the drone only. PAP policy, not a rider. Tell them it is for a drone. Minimum policy premiums vary from state to state. My minimum premium in Georgia is $60 with $0 deductible.

I am in Ohio. What exactly do I say when I call?

My agent told me it is totally separate and could not affect any other insurance line such as homeowners. Granted, I have been with this agent for 35 years. Maybe that holds an oz of water. As for catches, none that I see. Make claim get check. Not 20 questions like dji refresh.

Reactions: Former Member
"Hi my name is Black Magic, and I am looking for personal use drone damage and loss insurance."

Anyone here from Ohio that can recommend a State Farm agent for drone loss insurance?

HAHA well said. If somebody could point me in the right direction by connecting me with a good agent that would be awesome.

I should probably clarify that I am only 20 years old and my parents pay for my insurance. Will this effect me in the future?

That's the truly insidious nature of how insurance companies work. Between the agents who make promises that it will/won't affect you, the underwriters who keep their methodology and calculations from everyone (including the agents), and the custodians of the database who go to great lengths to keep the consumer from seeing their records or knowing that they even exist - the consumer has no way of know the real reason why their rates are what they are. Lot's of speculation, supposition, and conjecture - but nothing concrete.

I would suspect that if you have a social security number, and your name is attached to the policy, any claim will stick with you. That said, consider this...

I permanently moved to my own place in 1994. I have never lived at my parents' house since. Yet, in 2005, when my father accidentally backed into a guest's car parked in his driveway, it affected my rates. I was lucky to even find out about it, and only did so because I have a trusted friend who is an insurance broker. She provided me with a copy of my ChoicePoint risk profile - something she is NOT supposed to do. In fact, agents are not even supposed to acknowledge its existence. In it, it showed that my risk profile increased because there was a claim filed on an incident that happened at a 'previously known address' for me. Never mind that I hadn't lived there in 11 years... or that it didn't involve any of my insured vehicles... of that any of the parties involved were on my policy. Nope, none of that mattered - yet my auto rates went up.

Here's what sucks about that. Because I was shown this information in confidence, I could not contest it. Unlike credit reporting agencies which allow consumers to view them (free or otherwise), and challenge inaccuracies, no such thing exists for the insurance industry. You are purposely kept in the dark.

That's why anytime a thread like this is started, I make sure people realize the potential for unintended consequences - and that any agent that promises that there is no risk is lying. They simply cannot make that claim. Instead, they're counting on you not being able to determine why your rates changed. After all, when you complain about a 20% increase in your premium, that agent will say, "we don't know why it went up, but just be glad it only went up 20%... everyone else went up 30%" - like you have any way of actually verifying that.

I lump insurance agents (my friend excluded) into the same category as lawyers and health insurance companies.

Instead, they're counting on you not being able to determine why your rates changed. After all, when you complain about a 20% increase in your premium, that agent will say, "we don't know why it went up, but just be glad it only went up 20%... everyone else went up 30%" - like you have any way of actually verifying that.

I agree. A little off topic, but Im not too concerned about my insurance rates going up, they have already told me and it's all over the news. Im in the same boat with around 10 million fellow Georgians who will get hit with, across the board, the highest insurance increase by percentage in the country, up to 50% increase next year. If Im gonna make a claim for my measly $1000 drone, while I am paying $15,000 a year for insurance anyway, Im not worrying about them raising me. But they darn sure better pay my claim pronto.

Insurance premiums on Georgia’s Obamacare exchange could go up an average 50%

I agree. A little off topic, but Im not too concerned about my insurance rates going up, they have already told me and it's all over the news. Im in the same boat with around 10 million fellow Georgians who will get hit with, across the board, the highest insurance increase by percentage in the country, up to 50% increase next year. If Im gonna make a claim for my measly $1000 drone, while I am paying $15,000 a year for insurance anyway, Im not worrying about them raising me. But they darn sure better pay my claim pronto.

Insurance premiums on Georgia’s Obamacare exchange could go up an average 50%
Here is the thing though... I don't pay for insurance and I also don't have statefarm. Soooo how exactly would this work? Could I potentially do a lot of damage to whatever plan I"m on with whatever company we have?

HAHA well said. If somebody could point me in the right direction by connecting me with a good agent that would be awesome.
Just call whatever agent is closest to you. You might have to go in to sign something or bring in a copy of the receipt for your drone.

People paying $60 a year seem to be getting $2,000 worth of coverage. I'm in Iowa and paid half that because the Mavic is worth $1,000. Actually less than that because if I lose it in a crash or something I don't need to replace the controller.

I know this doesn't apply to the OP but if you happen to have an existing non State Farm personal property policy for another item and have filed a claim State Farm will turn you down. A year or so ago my wife lost her wedding ring and we filed a claim to get it replaced. I had forgotten about that when I bought a State Farm policy for my new Mavic a few weeks ago. A week after I'd paid for the policy the agent called and said that since we'd filed a claim for the ring they wouldn't insure the drone and that I'd get a full refund. A few days after that I got a letter from State Farm stating the same thing saying that my coverage would end on (whatever the date was about a month later). So when they sent me the refund they deducted the amount of that small time window of coverage that I didn't know I had.

Randy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista